No announcement yet.

Spelling in songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An invigorating example of the genre via Pizzicato Five's It's A Beautiful Day.

Comment

I've just remembered there's another Jurassic 5 song where they spell the name of the group out in the chorus, but I can't remember which one it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        I've just remembered there's another Jurassic 5 song where they spell the name of the group out in the chorus, but I can't remember which one it is.
        That'll be this one

Comment

Cookie Crew spell out House at the end of Rok da House.

(Heard on the radio today)

Comment

While looking up how to pronounce Dunlaoghaire, as I need to ring a florist there, I found out that in Ireland only, the B-side of Boomtown Rats "Like Clockwork" was "D.U.N L.A.O.G.H.A.I.R.E", which Wikipedia advises is "a tongue in cheek samba, discussing the spelling of the band's home town".

Comment

It'll be even harder to spell with your tongue in your cheek.

Comment

A samba song, sung by Bob Geldof? I'm not sure I'll sleep, now I know that's in the world.

Comment

"Tired and weary dull and dreary, that's the way you spell Dun Laoghaire " that's the last two lines, the only ones I remember

Comment

Elvis Presley - "U.S. Male". ("That's M.A.L.E., son. That's me.")

Comment

"Your Dictionary" by XTC - probably one of the most heartbreakingly sad songs I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVRny0HtjaQ

Comment

Finally got round to looking for as many of these as possible on Spotify.

E - N - J - O - Y:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/72...WzU3nTVcRxwXpL

Comment

If that list doesn't include 'Theme from a Peanut Butter Wolf', it's totally not valid.

Comment

It does now.

Comment

Great, looking forward to that. I'll assume it has Method Man's "Method Man" and Hall & Oates's "Method of Modern Love" which the former used as its jump-off point.

Comment

Yes to Hall and Oates.

I just found 'Method Man' (listed as Wu-Tang Clan?) and the intro scared the bejeezus out of me.

Comment

Idles new album has a good amount of spelling in it. G-R-E-A-T is the rather more lazy one, where Danny Nedelko managed to get solid airplay before someone let the necessary folk know he spells out D-A-N-N-Y-N-E-D-E-L-K-O-C-O-M-M-U-N-I-T-Y-S-O-F-U-C-K-Y-O-U toward the end of the track. Breaking each letter up with a prefix of "the" made it take a little while longer to follow.

Comment

T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S by The Hives

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      The Rutles "cheese and onions "
                                      This is brilliant, the way Neil Innes takes the pi55 by asking "Do I have to spell it out...." followed by "C.H.E.E.S.E.A.N.D.O.N.I.O.N.S."

Comment

B-A-B-Y by Rachel Sweet (and Carla Thomas if you're being pedantic).

Comment

I already mentioned both versions on page one.

Comment

Working...
                                          X