No announcement yet.

Spelling in songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gets you a few weird looks if you sing it round the office, that one.

Comment

But they're fine with the rest of Angel Dust? That's a decent office you have there.

Comment

I doubt I could find a person in here who knows who Faith No More are, in all honesty. Jizzlobber is probably also sailing a bit close to t'wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          Gets you a few weird looks if you sing it round the office, that one.
          Not me, I work for a firm of over-enthusiastic wine tasters.

Comment

Hahahaha you are awful.

Comment

Originally posted by evilC View Post
              How on earth have we got this far into this thread without Ottowan's 'D.I.S.C.O.'
              The posts that followed should suggest to you that somebody (namely yours truly) alluded to Ottowan previously...

Comment

The Fall - C.R.E.E.P. Which he denied was about Morrissey.

Comment

I thought it was about Mark Riley but apparently he denied that as well.
                  Meanwhile on his Christmas album Frank Sinatra gifts us those J.I.N.G.L.E bells.

Comment

The Rutles "cheese and onions "

Comment

Dillinger - Cocaine in My Brain "N.E.W. Y.O.R.K."

(Middlemass is the Fall song that's supposed to be about Marc Riley, isn't it? Apart from Hey Marc Riley of course)

Comment

Ha, no G L O R I A?

Comment

"Saturday Night"--I thought for sure it would have been mentioned right away.

Comment

S. E. X. This is one of my favourite Ant songs, although not my favourite version (there's a live one on my iTunes from a sound check where his voice is more echoey) and the guitar more slidey.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSH5bdj_zw

Comment

As far as office break-into-song moments go, Ottawan's D.I.S.C.O. gets an airing fairly regularly in mine, because the research wing of the dept I work in is called CRMCS: all together now:....

Comment

D.i.Can.i.o. has the same number of syllables and starts with the same two letters so was a popular chant around 1997, changed by opposition fans to DiWankio.

Comment

We did the D I C K O song when Nouha Dicko was playing for us on loan.

Comment

L. I. V.
                                    E. R. P.
                                    Double-O L,
                                    Liverpool FC

A refrain I'm sure we all know and love.

Comment

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - They Might Be Giants

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                        L. I. V.
                                        E. R. P.
                                        Double-O L,
                                        Liverpool FC

A refrain I'm sure we all know and love.
                                        Well, if that's allowed...

(Stands up, clears throat, stretches out arms)

With an S and a C and a U, N, T
                                        An H and an O, and R, P, E
                                        U, N, I
                                        T, E, D
                                        Scunthorpe United FC!

C'mon yer bastads, sing up! (Sits down shaking head)

My favourite part of that song is the "an H", which forces the vocalist into the correct "aitch" pronunciation. I remember once parking next to some unusually friendly Burnley fans before a game, who gave us a partial rendition of the song before bursting out laughing. Not sure what was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                          Ian Brown - F.E.A.R.

Spells it out in the title and the lyrics, which are full of suggestions for what a fear acronym might stand for. But the song's about fear innit.
                                          It bugs me that one line doesn't start with an F though.

Comment

Originally posted by Havencheese View Post
                                            Ice T 'New Jack Hustler'

Involves one off spelling of H.U.S.T.L.E.R. prior to this, the producer repeats the chorus hook "New Jack" several times.

Hip hop being the verbal medium it is, would be a mine for this sort of thing.
                                            Yep, off the top of my head there's Big Bank Hank's plagiarism of "I'm the C-A-S, AN, the O-V-A, and the rest is F-L-Y" in Rappers Delight (Master Gee spells out his name too).

Best are hip-hoc acronyms though. Pete Rock and CL Smooth rep T-Roy in their classic "They Reminisce Over You". Rza meanwhile was remarkably keen to show off his lack of knowledge of basic physics by signing off his verse on "4th Chamber" by declaring "Protons Electrons Always Cause Explosions".

I really should get out more.

Wu Tang

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                              It bugs me that one line doesn't start with an F though.
                                              If you mean that 'everything and rumble' line, it actually occurs twice. And, no, I'd never noticed it before.

Comment

I'm 2na fish from U-N-I-T-Y.

Comment

The S the U the P the E the R
                                                  The S the H the A the R the P
                                                  The S the H the O the O the T the E the R

Super sharp shooters shooting shots!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                    Edwin Starr S.O.S. Stop Her On Sight
                                                    As Etienne said, that sadly doesn't count...

...whereas his H-A-P-P-Y Radio would have nestled in right nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X