Spelling in songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling in songs

We're looking for songs where something is spelled out, and it's got to be words, not acronyms or initialisms. We'll be having no love lives which are D.O.A. on this thread, please.

Some for starters (NB links rather than videos, as I've timestamped them):

Aretha Franklin - Respect
    Really belts out the song title. Classic.

Manic Street Preachers - Archives Of Pain
    You know the E is coming. JDB knows you know the E is coming. So he's going to milk it.

Pulp - F.E.E.L.I.N.G. C.A.L.L.E.D. L.O.V.E
    Hell of an effort.

Billy Connolly - Divorce
    Is this the alpha and omega of the genre?
    Last edited by Kevin S; 06-07-2017, 22:11.

Noah and the Whale with their one song, called L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.

Comment

Feel free not to click on this shit, which is bananas, B A N A N A S (Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl)

Comment

Love is bound to spelt out in countless songs. One off the top of my head - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFMFZtm1F1M

Without ploughing through the new form thread could someone tell me how to add text to a link, ta.

Comment

R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
          No pissing around.

Looking For A Kiss
          L-U-V
          Last edited by Cal Alamein; 26-06-2017, 12:57.

Comment

Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind is John Cougar Mellencamp's R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.

Comment

Does 'No frills, handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills' count?

Comment

Pet Shop Boys - Shopping

I don't know how to do links, and I wouldn't know where to link to. I'm just proud that I could make a contribution to a Music thread

Comment

In Steal My Sunshine by Len, what is the point of the spelling-out in "I was lying on the bench slide in the park across the street/L-A-T-E-R that week" other than having some extra syllables to fill?

Comment

Clearly the answer is that there isn't one. See also Catatonia's 'd from the w down' in the awful Make Hay Not War.

Comment

Prince Buster -Al Capone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfvXrMnJu0

'C.A.P.O.N.E Capowne' I don't know if his pronunciation is the right one or he's making some abstruse point. I'd like to think it's the latter.

Comment

To do the link, I enter this:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU&t=12s]The Kinks - Lola[/url]

The example above then appears like this:

The Kinks - Lola
                        Two for the price of one with The Kinks.

Note that if you want to link to a specific point of a YouTube video, you add &t= to the end of the link, followed by the time in minutes and seconds, e.g. &t=3m42s on the end of a YouTube link takes you 3:42 into the video, and &t=37s goes 37 seconds in.
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 26-06-2017, 13:23.

Comment

Like this?

Which works but is a bit of a faff if I have to remember the url= and /url bits every time.

Comment

You can also use the "link" button (the one with the globe, to the right of the smiley)

That will insert the link, though if you want to add text, you will need to close the brackets first.
                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 26-06-2017, 13:40.

Comment

Etta James W.O.M.A.N
                              Last edited by Etienne; 26-06-2017, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                You can also use the "link" button (the one with the globe, to the right of the smiley)

That will insert the link, though if you want to add text, you will need to close the brackets first.
                                Another option is to write your link text in the message (i.e. what you want to be displayed) highlight it, then click on the link button and paste your link in.

Comment

Mull Historical Society -Instead

Thanks, Kevin, that's the one.

Comment

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
                                    Beastie Boys - Putting shame in your game
                                    They Might Be Giants - S-E-X-X-Y

Comment

Two for the price of one with KMFDM - D.I.Y.

Comment

Two hours in, and still no mention of Ottawan? (Until now...) Some slightly better examples:

In Aztec Camera's How Men Are (1988), the lovely Roddy spells out 'P-E-R-S-P-E-C-T-I-V-E'. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's an agreeable tune.

Carla Thomas (1966) and Rachel Sweet (1978) both talked of the same 'B-A-B-Y'.

Hall & Oates spelled out the entire title of their Method of Modern Love (1985).

The Poster Children ran with the oh-so-smutty 'If you see Kay - tell her I'm okay' in their belting Junior Citizens (1995). (I'm sure you can work that one out...)

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Billy Connolly - Divorce
                                        Is this the alpha and omega of the genre?
                                        Doesn't Tammy Wynette's original trump this?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          Two for the price of one with KMFDM - D.I.Y.
                                          Neither of which is allowed, according to the OP.

NB I'm pretty sure that the Catatonia song was called Dead From the Waist Down. Agree it was fughing awful, though.
                                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 26-06-2017, 14:46.

Comment

It was. I've no intention of listening to it but I'm almost certain Cerys sings 'when you're D from the W down' in the chorus.

Comment

She does. God, I couldn't stand Catatonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Neither of which is allowed, according to the OP
                                                Well, that's you off my Christmas card list.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  She does. God, I couldn't stand Catatonia.
                                                  And now back on it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X