Into the Lion's Den D2 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Well that was nice (though not for GHE I understand). Beating the top two teams in the division within four days of each other is a huge, and much needed, boost after a crappy week.
    It was a funny old night. Firstly, not willing to risk the notorious away end restricted view seats, which were the only ones available by the time I stopped prevaricating and decided to go, I sat with one of my sons in the Ellerslie Road stand surrounded by west London's finest. Pre-match in the Sindercombe Social where the beer and munchies were decent, Twitter then informs us of the team news which resulted in much sucking in of air between clenched teeth. We knew Fleck was out suspended but Wilder also decided to rest Duffy and Sharp. Too much disruption to the well oiled machine we mused and as the evening wore on I think we were correct. Comedy defending by our 2 London loanees saw us concede what proved to be the only goal in the third minute and we then spend the next six minutes waiting for Blackman to be stretchered off. We huffed and puffed but QPR huffed and puffed a bit harder. The ref seemed to take great pleasure in watching our new great hope - Brooks - get kicked all over the pitch without chastising the culprits. Baldock went off with what looked like a hamstring so that's both our right wing backs likely to be out until at least Christmas. Due to the various delays we were quite late finishing and in the last minute as the gloom descended on us and we contemplated the two and a half hour pointless journey home my lad suddenly yells out "fucking hell I've won £1400 on my £5 bet!" Twas true, a triple, both teams to score Moscow to win at Basel, Derby to win at Leeds and Boro to win at Hull plus some odds boost turned a sorry evening into a jolly one - for him at least.

We have done very well so far but I see squad depth as an issue and we aren't clinical enough in front of goal which has and will result in dropped points. With a bit of good fortune we might hang on to a playoff spot but I suspect automatic is beyond us. QPR were robust and very energetic but not great, I thought we were worth a point but probably our poorest performance of the season.
    Last edited by Glass Half Empty; 02-11-2017, 01:06.

Comment

One of our poorer performances of the season but it was more than enough to beat Birmingham who were utter dogshit.

A very enjoyable three points, sweetened as it was by £11m in transfer fees. As for the three ex-Bees, Maxime Colin only lasted 6 minutes (Harry obviously didn't research how injury-prone he is), Jota was subbed in the second half and Harlee ('the Birmingham squad is 10 times better') Dean got splinters in his arse on the bench.

So all in all, an excellent night out.
      Last edited by cantagalo; 02-11-2017, 02:22.

Comment

The strange case of Leon Clarke - he's playing like a man possessed.

Comment

Not last Tuesday he didn't.

So we now own a Football League record for failure. We haven't won at Forest in 29 attempts over 83 years, you can throw in a few cup games on top of that too. After beating the division's top two sides, we came up with our most incompetent performance of the year. The only good thing you can say is that it was a complete team effort. Pretty much everyone was equally useless.

Comment

Fun for Forest?

Comment

He's obviously a terrible match fixer given Forest's start to the season

Comment

He has faced no action over allegedly being involved in the bombing of a referee's bakery.
                He couldn't face seeing all those pies go up in smoke.

Comment

Absolute sickener for the Blades tonight at Burton with an x rated challenge. Looks like a double break but the ref didn't even give a foul. Devastated for Paul Coutts, he's the absolute heart of the team and has been playing fantastically well. Pray it's not a career ender but there are some really grim photos on twitter. (I'll leave the ghoulish to find them if they are so inclined) The one player we have no cover for, quite frankly we won't find a guy of his ability for the money we've got available. Could be season defining. No joy from the victory and going back to the top again, even if it is only 'til tomorrow. Wilder will really have to earn his corn now.

Comment

From the outside it looks like Wilder has been earning his corn already and players do come back from those sort of injuries now. It's all very well for me to say so of course, good luck to Coutts. From what you say he'll be badly missed.

Comment

Marvin Sordell has form for this sort of thing - he whacked our keeper out of the game when we played Burton in August. So he absolutely is that kind of player.

Comment

70% possession, 22 shots to 11 including the worst miss in the history of football. And then all too predictably we got Warnocked.

Comment

The worst miss in the history of football. Come on, it wasn't that ba-oh...

https://twitter.com/Sporf/status/931951187972194307

Comment

Oh dear!

Meanwhile our unbeaten home record went down the pan against Villa.

Why are almost all managers so predictable when it comes to substitutions? Unless there's a serious injury they almost all make two subs for tactical reasons between 60' & 70', and save one for late on to waste time (if leading) or out of desperation (if losing.) After the first half-hour (when we were comfortably on top and leading 1–0) it became crystal clear we needed a sub at right wing-back. But Holloway waited until the 63' minute (at 1–2 down) to make it. I don't get the managerial hive-mind about this at all.

Comment

What cantaglo said. No way Cardiff should have won that. I had a fantastic view of that miss. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Comment

I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the replay yet.

Comment

Woeful performance - the worst of the season - against an ultra-defensive Burton.

Then stuck on the M1 for 5 HOURS after an accident closes the motorway. Arrived home at 6.30 am. I’ve had better days.

Comment

For the second away match in a row we gave up the first goal in time added on in the first half. And once again we didn't have a clue how to get back into the match in the second. We play cantaglo's lot next Monday (a derby on Sky, mmm that always goes so well.) It was about this time last year in the equivalent fixture that JFH lost his job. Not saying Olly should be looking over his shoulder but...

Comment

Give up the first goal any time you like. We’ll find a way to let you back in the game.

Comment

Please do. But right now we have three fit defenders, and forwards who apparently exist in name only. We've scored one and conceded eight in the last three matches. You really couldn't hope for a better time to play us.

Comment

I’d have agreed but last night seriously worried me. I must keep reminding myself of the 10 good performances that preceded it.

Comment

Well I guess both of us were right. Another piss poor 92 minutes by our injury-wracked squad, but your lot were kind enough to concede two goals in the 93rd and 94th minutes to give us a totally undeserved draw. Were you there?

Comment

Thankfully, I couldn’t make it down last night. It would have been even harder to take being there in person.

I think I’m going to have to accept that a side that can’t defend a two goal lead for two minutes is not going to make the play-offs. That makes 18 points lost from winning positions this season - enough to put us in second place. In this instance, we’d weathered the 20 minute storm after Smith came on and were looking the more likely to score. So what or who was to blame? The attacking substitutions? Watkins losing the ball taking on a man when he could have passed? Bentley’s increasingly erratic keeping? Woods giving the ball back after the first kick off? Sawyers’ feeble attempt at a tackle? You can tell I didn’t sleep very well, can’t you?

All I know is that this happens too often to be bad luck or coincidence. Until we get smarter and tougher, all the beautiful football will count for very little.

I have to say that Rangers battled well and certainly seem to be behind Holloway. It’s probably just as well for us that Matt Smith didn’t start.

Comment

Someone has just tweeted and said that was the most Brentfordy thing Brentford have done since the Doncaster game in 2013.

Comment

You did manage to do it the right way round against Ipswich on the opening day of 15/16, I recall with a shudder.

Comment

Thankfully I'm another who didn't go, but the ending did manage to strip me of all my vocabulary except two words, as I was only able to shout "FUCKING REALLY???" at the screen for about five minutes. And I also found out that my friends are exactly as comforting to me as I am to them when tragedy happens to their teams.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X