No announcement yet.

Into the Lion's Den D2 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's us solidly jinxed, cheers everyone.

Comment

If it helps to balance things, I've got you third and losing to us in the playoff semifinal
      Last edited by Kevin S; 04-08-2017, 10:42.

Comment

I think I'll go for Boro and Reading as my tips for the top two. Boro have spent big money on dodgy signings (the permanently crocked Assombalonga and the unproven Fletcher) but Monk at the helm and the best defence in the league should see them sail towards promotion. Reading made great progress under the very impressive Stam and will look to build on it this time. In terms of other candidates, Fulham haven't really made improvements and have lost the excellent Scott Malone, Villa's policy of signing pensioners could go either way, and Wednesday will be nowhere near.

Longeared has summed my thoughts up about Wednesday perfectly in this thread - the last three summers have been like Groundhog Day, with our manager steadfastly refusing to address the weaknesses in the squad and then assuring people at press conferences like Comical Ali that we've got plenty of cover. It'll cause us to make another poor start and have us playing catch up again for the rest of the reason. We'll just about sneak into the play-offs again.

I just read this guide in The Grauniad with fans making predictions: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ason-2017-2018

Am I unaware of something about Leeds United or do their fans always appear to get carried away? They missed out on the play-offs last season, they've replaced Gary Monk with some bloke who was managing in Cyprus, their best defender (Bartley) has gone back to Swansea, they've signed nobody of note, yet the fan in the guide is expecting top two. What?

Comment

I like the way the Sheffield United fan there having bigged up Ched Evans elects to remain anonymous and just go by "Mike"

Comment

Kevin - yes. I couldn't log in as Uncle Ethan to this excellent new iteration of the site; but oddly I could under the GM identity which was created the last I had log-in problems.

Comment

Jordan Rhodes gone to Wednesday for £10 million apparently. Thought they had no money.

Comment

Why did you think that? Financially our big problem is that we are purportedly banging up against FFP.

Plus the Rhodes deal has basically been done since January. How come you only just noticed?

Comment

Didn't realise that deal was that old, apologies. Thought that the complaints on here about lack of transfer action etc equated to lack of money. Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick. Just hadn't seen it mentioned on here so wanted to bring it up.

Comment

No the complaints are about lack of improvements in the squad where improvements are clearly necessary.

Comment

Well, the Rhodes transfer is a big part of our poor recruitment as well. We deferred payment of the £10m (or £8m depending on who you believe) to this summer, so our dealings now are being hamstrung by paying for a striker we didn't need. Sometimes I think we pick new players out of a hat.

Comment

That's my point. Spending the budget on a single player when other areas need improving.

Comment

Believe the Rhodes deal was £8m, rising to £10m with possible add ons.

Why is Forest v Millwall being played tonight? It's not on the telly and Notts County are away this weekend. Is there some big event on in Nottingham (Goose fair?) this weekend that the local police don't want away fans getting tangled up in?

Comment

Bruce has signed Josh Onomah on loan from Spurs in a flagrant attempt to make me look stupid.

Comment

T20 Blast

(edit - to longeared: http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...st-move-147153)

Comment

Good to see you back by the way, Mr Beast. Just a note, if you see this, that the Prediction Competition has moved home to the new Games forum.

Comment

The Rhodes deal is a remarkable piece of transfer business where all parties seem unhappy with the situation (and that probably includes Blackburn as well.)

Comment

Thanks Kev.

I didn't know that, better get over to Games.

Comment

Barnsley have bought Brad Potts from Blackpool today.

He's an attacking midfielder.

Comment

A single player purchase over the Summer may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. We — meaning Ian Holloway — will have to work with what we've got. At least it makes a change from the seven or eight in/out every transfer window and howls of "Get rid!" from the terrace faithful when some poor newbie miss-times a pass or tackle. Resigned patience is not a bad state of mind for any football supporter. OTOH our first few games are a bit awkward: Reading (H), Wednesday (A), Norwich (A), Hull (H), Cardiff (A). I could see us taking three points off 'Tigers, Tigers rah, rah, rah!' But if we get more than another couple from the other four I'll be surprised. If they precede another one of Olly's patented six game losing streaks we'll likely be looking for another manager by mid- October.

Comment

Another new signing from Germany today. Though there'll probably still never be another City player who can pass like this ↓ the way the Hoolahan can.

Encouraging performance. We never win at Fulham, and rode our luck a little, but passed it around well and created some chances ourselves.

The TALKING POINT though is that Oliveira, who was brought on to replace Jerome up front, celebrated by taking his shirt off (yellow card), running over to Farke and pointing at his name and number. It's fair to say that the competition for the centre forward position is quite intense.

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/894186548027154438
                                          Last edited by Kevin S; 07-08-2017, 07:44.

Comment

Oh yes, Channel 5 have got Colin Murray in to present the Championship highlights programme, which is nice, though the annoying title 'music' remains. Still on Saturday at 9pm, or of course at 10pm on Channel 5+1.

Comment

Wednesday got booed off at Preston. On the face of it this is a strong reaction for the first game of the season, but it feels more like an outpouring of frustration at the summer as a whole. All the old familiar failings on display, lack of pace, no plan B, slow tempo, not using players the right way. Up front is particularly poor, Carvalhal seems not to notice that we always play better when Gary Hooper is on the pitch, and he still doesn't use Jordan Rhodes right. Give him service in the six yard box, not lump long balls up or make him drop deep and play link man.

Forestieri weighed in in the local press too, saying he wants to be part of the front two rather than on the left. There's a strong argument for getting him sold before the end of the transfer window, his attitude and team play are questionable, we could get a serious sum of money in and improve problem areas rather than having to fork out for a replacement. He may be a fine footballer but the team as a whole could be improved without him in it.

Comment

I was hoping for a draw at Preston. This result means Wednesday will be primed to rip us several new ones in their home opener next weekend.

Comment

Breaking news!!!!!! (how many exclamation marks is too many?) We've signed Alex Baptiste on a free for two years. The QPR reaction is that's he's a bog-standard defensive clogger. But Preston fans speak very highly of him. I guess we'll see. Defence is an area we're short on so even if he is a bit agricultural he'll at least provide some cover. He also played for Holloway at Blackpool, so it's not like he's an unknown quantity personality-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                    Wednesday got booed off at Preston. On the face of it this is a strong reaction for the first game of the season, but it feels more like an outpouring of frustration at the summer as a whole. All the old familiar failings on display, lack of pace, no plan B, slow tempo, not using players the right way. Up front is particularly poor, Carvalhal seems not to notice that we always play better when Gary Hooper is on the pitch, and he still doesn't use Jordan Rhodes right. Give him service in the six yard box, not lump long balls up or make him drop deep and play link man.

Forestieri weighed in in the local press too, saying he wants to be part of the front two rather than on the left. There's a strong argument for getting him sold before the end of the transfer window, his attitude and team play are questionable, we could get a serious sum of money in and improve problem areas rather than having to fork out for a replacement. He may be a fine footballer but the team as a whole could be improved without him in it.
                                                    Saturday's performance was depressingly inevitable considering how Carlos has handled the last year or so. The only person who couldn't see it coming was the man himself. He also threw Forestieri under the bus by telling the press what you mentioned in the second paragraph, which is awful man management.

In other matters, can I change my above prediction for promotion from Reading to Fulham? Danny Williams has left, Yann Kermorgant's had hip surgery and Ali Al-Habsi's left. That's probably Reading's three best players out of the picture already.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X