No announcement yet.

Into the Lion's Den D2 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be better for Barnsley to have the freedom to play open football in the third tier than scrappy no risk shit in the second. Whether that's the thinking behind their new appointment, I dunno, but it's a good fallback given that our players are clearly not yet second tier quality.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
      Question for Glass Half Empty; what's going off in the boardroom at the Lane at the moment and what's the general view of the fanbase about it? Not trying to troll or anything, genuinely interested.
      In short - I wish I knew what was going on. There have been 2 statements from the club over the last 6 months or so which outline what's happening, the rest is pretty much speculation. The two statements:

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/sep...y-information/
      https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2018/february/statement/

Biggs' ramblings on the issue don't help much either, for example. https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...-one-1-9018221

My best guess at the moment and it really is a guess, is that McCabe is getting on a bit and he's been thinking about the succession and the future of the club. His sons have decided that they don't want to take over the family stake in the club and have walked off into the sunset. He's therefore developing his exit strategy. There appears to be a clause in the original agreement between the Prince and McCabe that allows for one to buy out the other in certain circumstances and this would appear to be what is happening. The problem is that this isn't a strait forward process. The ownership structure of the club is complex and integrated into to McCabe's other businesses. McCabe has previously stated that the reason the freehold for Bramall Lane and the other property interests of the club are held by other parts of his business portfolio is to protect the long term future of the club from the possibility of someone coming in and asset stripping the club but it is clear that The Prince isn't going to be happy buying only the playing assets and not owning the physical assets.

McCabe is wily old fox and he will certainly want to maximise his return if he does sell and I guess this negotiation is going on at the moment. It's far from clear what will be the outcome of this process. They may come to a deal and the Prince takes full control, or the Prince might be unwilling to meet McCabe's price and walk away. There are rumours that there are possible Chinese investors hovering in the background (tied in with the current investment going on in the City? who knows) and maybe McCabe is courting them to come up with a counter offer to buy The Prince's share out. The bottom line is that from what I can see no-one other than the parties involved really knows the detail of the original agreement between them when the Prince bought into the club and therefore we're in the dark about the direction this might go. At least I think we can see now why there was in the end a very limited amount of investment in the playing staff in January, no one was going to commit to any major expenditure whilst this was going on in the background.

As far as the fans are concerned, I think in general people are pretty concerned. There are a lot of people who are deeply uneasy about the club becoming a part of the House of Saud, both in terms of what that institution stands for and in terms of the civil war that seems to be going on within the Saudi Royal family and where our relatively minor Prince will end up as that process continues. If he backs the wrong horse, so to speak and ends up in jail in Saudi (or worse) what happens to the club? If The Prince does take over and we managed to get promoted would some of the real power in the family squeeze him out and be tempted to do a Man City with us??

McCabe has been around a long time and during that time the landscape of English football has changed beyond all recognition, to a certain extent we have been insulated from that change (and arguably fallen backwards as a result) For all the cock ups McCabe has made over the years (Bryan Robson ffs, foreign club purchases etc.) in general the fans believe his heart is in the right place and accept that he does have a genuine desire to see the club prosper into the future. There are now relatively few sizeable clubs left with a traditional ownership structure of a local fan made good and those that are left are in general finding that they are increasingly struggling to compete. Change is now definitely coming and it's a worrying time.

Comment

When you live in Australia you get to watch Ipswich live on "real" telly about twice a season - almost always to see them lose to, or fail to beat, Norwich. Each time my admiration grows for every single person who goes to games, especially away from home.

Yes, it is possibly a fortnightly convention of the fully-paid up masochists' club, but I prefer to believe they are loyal fans, willing to spend their hard-earned money and precious time following their club home and away. To see them told to "fuck off" by their own team's manager because of a headed goal from literally their only attack of the second half fair gets my gander up.

If you're a coach whose only tactical inclination is to throw on defensive midfielders (with the exception of Garner's "what was he doing there, he's the fucking centre-forward yellow card inspired change) to try and protect a 0-0 by kicking to bits the only half-decent player on the pitch, you don't get to slag off your fans. In fact if you're fucking Pep Guardiola and your team is carving up teams only metaphorically, rather than literally, you still don't get to slag off the people who pay your wages.

In a more general sense it is a little surprising Norwich managed to hold on to Maddison. Not sure he's strong enough for premiership football right now, but I'd have thought he might be the difference for one or two of the teams chasing promotion - or even worth a top flight club signing him and loaning him straight back out. Not to Ipswich though because he'd be stuck on the fucking bench until he learned to kick the shit out of (a) people and (b) the ball.
        Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 19-02-2018, 00:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
          When you live in Australia you get to watch Ipswich live on "real" telly about twice a season - almost always to see them lose to, or fail to beat, Norwich. Each time my admiration grows for every single person who goes to games, especially away from home.

Yes, it is possibly a fortnightly convention of the fully-paid up masochists' club, but I prefer to believe they are loyal fans, willing to spend their hard-earned money and precious time following their club home and away. To see them told to "fuck off" by their own team's manager because of a headed goal from literally their only attack of the second half fair gets my gander up.

If you're a coach whose only tactical inclination is to throw on defensive midfielders (with the exception of Garner's "what was he doing there, he's the fucking centre-forward yellow card inspired change) to try and protect a 0-0 by kicking to bits the only half-decent player on the pitch, you don't get to slag off your fans. In fact if you're fucking Pep Guardiola and your team is carving up teams only metaphorically, rather than literally, you still don't get to slag off the people who pay your wages.

In a more general sense it is a little surprising Norwich managed to hold on to Maddison. Not sure he's strong enough for premiership football right now, but I'd have thought he might be the difference for one or two of the teams chasing promotion - or even worth a top flight club signing him and loaning him straight back out. Not to Ipswich though because he'd be stuck on the fucking bench until he learned to kick the shit out of (a) people and (b) the ball.
          Whilst I mostly agree with this I do find it amusing that football fans who are willing to dish it out to all and sundry suddenly get outraged when, in the heat of the moment, a manager or player gives it back.

Can everyone involved in football just grow up a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
            Wow. I shudder to think what gesture and/or comment he must have made after the equaliser, then.

Amid all the excitement, meanwhile:Good to see you, FS/H!D!, but what's with the identity change? Have you forgotten your login password or something? If so, our beloved and munificent overlord Snake could merge your old and new profiles for you: he's already done so for Kevchenko/Kevin S and Ms D/Ms Dayglo after they had to start up new profiles for one reason or another.

Edit: I mean, he's merged each of those two people's old and new profiles so they have access to their complete posting history again. He hasn't merged Kev with Ms D, which would be fearfully confusing.
            Seconded, welcome home and yes, the post count and output of such a hybrid would be terrifying.

That was a really difficult afternoon. As most of you know, I'm a Norwich fan in an Ipswich family. My son has still never seen his team win the derby. I'd said to my wife beforehand that it would probably be best if Ipswich did win this one, and I could cope with this especially if Bialokowski had been single handedly keeping them in it, before they scored with their only chance against the run of play. And for a few minutes it looked like that was what was going to happen. Where the hell the five minutes came from I'm not sure. Six subs and one goal gives a minimum of 3.5, so they must have seen at least a minute of other doddering going on. But there were no red cards, no major injuries, and I don't think the goal celebration went on for too long either, so not sure why it wasn't four minutes.

So yes, there were tears. We managed to calm the boy down, explaining that this was still a better result for Ipswich than for Norwich, despite the embarrassing description on Radio Norfolk of the "winning goal" - yes, really - and that if Norwich had scored first when they had the chances, with Ipswich scoring a 95th minute equaliser, he'd have been really pleased, even though it's the same result (sweeping the Endowment Effect under the carpet here). I think we may have also promised another trip to Portman Road, though I'm not sure whether or not this will soften the blow: the remaining weekend home games are Hull, Sheff Utd, Villa and Middlesbrough...

Norwich though once again struggling to break teams down and that's been the story of the season despite the impressive performances from Maddison. Ipswich actually kept him pretty quiet, albeit at the cost of some yellow cards. I wasn't very impressed with Oliveira; he didn't seem to be linking up particularly well, or providing much of a threat. And the 16th minute applause (denoting the number of years Ipswich have stayed in the Championship) was embarrassing. Considering Norwich have been promoted three times since then, we don't have a lot to show for it. No Cups won, no European football, and only 45 points - the same as Town. (The academy, however, is one area where we do seem to have spent the money well.)

It's looking like the sixth placed team this season could be on 76 points. To get to 77 points, Norwich or Ipswich (or Leeds) need 32 points from the last 12 games. Ten wins and two draws. I think we can say that's game over for this season. Too many other teams to overhaul. It's even looking a tall order for Middlesbrough to be honest.

Comment

It’s not as bad as you think. There’s 14 games left!

So Brentford need 30 points from 14. Win against Birmingham and Leeds this week and it’ll be 24 from 12 - just 2 points a game.

I’m deluding myself, aren’t I?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                Derby are merely doing what is expected of a team near the top of the Championship at this time of year. You're new to it, Villa, but if you want to fit in round here then you need to learn the rules. From now until May, you have to look as if you are desperate not to go up. You're fine to win all your games (in fact it's encouraged) until you reach fourth, but from then on you have to act like you've never seen a football, let alone your teammates before (you're Villa. We know you can do this). Other rules include automatically losing your next game if Mark Clemmett calls you the "form team" in the division; "coming up on the rails" means you lose two.
                Further to this, can you lot all buck your ideas up and stop Tan fucking United from getting promoted, please?

I'm starting to pin all my hopes on Fulham's surge and that can't be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                  It’s not as bad as you think. There’s 14 games left!

So Brentford need 30 points from 14. Win against Birmingham and Leeds this week and it’ll be 24 from 12 - just 2 points a game.

I’m deluding myself, aren’t I?
                  Ah, bollocks. Good spot! Mind you, if Bristol City keep up this form it'll be more like 78 needed...

Comment

Originally Posted by pebblethefish
                    Derby are merely doing what is expected of a team near the top of the Championship at this time of year. You're new to it, Villa, but if you want to fit in round here then you need to learn the rules. From now until May, you have to look as if you are desperate not to go up. You're fine to win all your games (in fact it's encouraged) until you reach fourth, but from then on you have to act like you've never seen a football, let alone your teammates before (you're Villa. We know you can do this). Other rules include automatically losing your next game if Mark Clemmett calls you the "form team" in the division; "coming up on the rails" means you lose two.

Further to this, can you lot all buck your ideas up and stop Tan fucking United from getting promoted, please?

I'm starting to pin all my hopes on Fulham's surge and that can't be a good thing.
                    Fulham's surge could be short-lived. Upcoming matches:

Bristol C (A)
                    Wolves (H)
                    Derby (A)
                    Sheff U (H)
                    Preston (A)

All top eight sides. Mind you, if they come through those still in touch...

Comment

Oh, I have no faith at all in Fulham of all clubs delivering for the good of football. That they seem the most promising candidate just shows how desperate I'm becoming.

Comment

Fulham are the form team whether you look at 6, 10, 12 or 15 games. I'm not sure that will make you feel any better.

Cardiff are very ordinary but at minimum they're going to be brutal in the playoffs and to beat them someone will have to put a stake through their hearts.

Comment

I had looked at the 6 and the 10 game form tables to try and give myself hope but, as you imply, that just seems to set them up even more firmly for a fall. I'm fully aware of the fact that even if some Samaritan club managed to overhaul them for automatic promotion. I will then have to rely on a brave opponent to slay the repulsive Tan-and-Warnock-headed Hydra in the play-offs.

In other D2 news, Ipswich's captain says "Yeah, well your mum smells and your trainers are crap".
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-02-2018, 18:20.

Comment

Brentford will destroy Fulham’s promotion hopes at Craven Cottage in the penultimate game of the season.

I’d still prefer Fulham to go up rather than Cardiff.

Comment

We play them at the Cottage in a month. Our record against them in recent years suggests another anal hammering with sandpaper instead of lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Wow. I shudder to think what gesture and/or comment he must have made after the equaliser, then.

Amid all the excitement, meanwhile:Good to see you, FS/H!D!, but what's with the identity change? Have you forgotten your login password or something? If so, our beloved and munificent overlord Snake could merge your old and new profiles for you: he's already done so for Kevchenko/Kevin S and Ms D/Ms Dayglo after they had to start up new profiles for one reason or another.

Edit: I mean, he's merged each of those two people's old and new profiles so they have access to their complete posting history again. He hasn't merged Kev with Ms D, which would be fearfully confusing.
                                Cheers, it's good to be back. It's just a new email address, nothing more than that. But if my old profile can be merged, that would be super spiffing.

Lots of Blades fans slagging our club off on Twitter about the lack of concession prices on Friday night. That's what we're dealing with, people.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  We play them at the Cottage in a month. Our record against them in recent years suggests another anal hammering with sandpaper instead of lubricant.
                                  Sorry got that wrong. Fulham is our fourth last game of the season, a week before we play you in a match that’s isn’t likely to matter very much.

Comment

It's a derby, it'll matter to a fair number of our fans, and Holloway — so he says — if not the players. We've been particularly rubbish against yourselves and Fulham for the past few seasons, it has to stop.

Comment

Yes I’ll be up for it. Especially as if you look at the very recent past, you’re averaging a goal a minute against us.

Comment

Can't deny it — it's a very, very small sample size but true nonetheless. Of course many of LR's regulars had gone home by then, so they still don't believe it.

Comment

Wednesday have gone into tonight's game at Millwall with no forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Wednesday have gone into tonight's game at Millwall with no forwards.
                                            Injuries or tactics?

Comment

We do have forwards on the bench so I assume tactics. We seem to be playing 3-7-0. Unsurprisingly a lot of possession and no shots

Comment

And as I type we score

Comment

Great name from the scorer there

Comment

Think there's a significant rotation element - we've still got masses of injuries, it's our fifteenth game in two months and we're playing the next couple of midweeks as well. Though we're hosting Villa on Saturday so would have thought we might have been better off resting players then and pissing that game away given that we'll probably lose anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X