Glastonbury 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    I do not like the Foo fighters at all. Can't put my finger on it, but they just rile me in some way
    Damn right. my brother was going through the channels the other day and lingered on a montage-y trailer for their Glastonbury (don't drop the -nbury in my house, btw) set and I found it physically irritating.

Comment

With the Foo Fighters, I just find the whole formulaic 'rawk' that they've settled into producing for the past 5-6 albums leadenly uninspiring.

My Facebook was awash with 'f***ing AWESOME!'; 'f***ing EPIC!'; 'f***ing MASSIVE!' the whole time they were on. It's music for the masses, isn't it? Made for Glastonbury, it seems.

Comment

Stormzy was fucking great.
        Kasier chiefs were fucking awful.

Comment

Bit odd how Liam isn't the biggest dickhead out of the Gallagher brothers these days innit.

Comment

I was half tempted to watch The Jacksons but the lure of their back catalogue was dimmed by the though of how much we-miss-you-Michael would be going on. When we did finally tune in, we got the end of a tribute followed by one of them launching into something from his new solo album. Didn't linger long enough to see how that went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              In part proving my earlier point about Elbow and the BBC, one of the first songs I heard on 6 Music this morning was a track from Elbow's set.
              # Alternative Spirit

Comment

Foo Fighters are in the same category as Paul Weller a few years ago for me - it's OK, I don't hate it, but get irritated by how many of my friends/social media network absolutely love it when I can't understand the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  Bit odd how Liam isn't the biggest dickhead out of the Gallagher brothers these days innit.
                  I'm seeing Noel and his band in a few days. They're supporting U2. Which, in some eyes, would strongly reinforce your point...

Comment

Supporting U2? Conviction on indictment, 5 years. Mandatory minimum for Eyebrows Senior. Let's see your workmanlike solos get you out of trouble in Strangeways ya plodding pub rock fanny.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      Supporting U2? Conviction on indictment, 5 years. Mandatory minimum for Eyebrows Senior. Let's see your workmanlike solos get you out of trouble in Strangeways ya plodding pub rock fanny.
                      Ahh, OTF. It's been a while...

Comment

Think I'll move this on, not being a fan of Oasis and certainly not at all interested in the brothers' feud.

All the televised sets (including many artists not shown on the BBC Two/Four coverage) are up on the BBC website for another four weeks, so I am sure you can all check out Elbow and Sheeran to enjoy for yourselves again.

Or perhaps look elsewhere. I was taken by Sigrid, a Norwegian girl who sings pop songs my daughter likes.

Willing to take any recommendations (that's what this part of the forum is for, for me). Think I'll check out the Moderat set after enjoying a bit of it on the red button the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          With the Foo Fighters, I just find the whole formulaic 'rawk' that they've settled into producing for the past 5-6 albums leadenly uninspiring.

My Facebook was awash with 'f***ing AWESOME!'; 'f***ing EPIC!'; 'f***ing MASSIVE!' the whole time they were on. It's music for the masses, isn't it? Made for Glastonbury, it seems.

Foo Fighters are OK but if you've grown up being used to watching big, noisy rock bands it's hard to see them as anything revelatory. They always strike me as a lesser version of Blackfoot.

Comment

The Lorde set is well worth a look. She has a presence and was trying to do something interesting.

Comment

I've not seen a second of footage yet, but found myself getting a bit impatient at the comments along the lines of, 'Tell you what, no-one's ever noticed this and it's a bit embarrassing to admit it, but actually Barry Gibb's got a really good back catalogue, hasn't he?'

Yes of course he has, you idiots, he's a fucking BeeGee. They were brilliant.

I might have a look for Chic's set on YouTube in a bit (didn't Chic play there last year as well?).

Comment

If there are any sets broadcast via iPlayer you want, cough, permanently, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Foo Fighters are OK but if you've grown up being used to watching big, noisy rock bands it's hard to see them as anything revelatory. They always strike me as a lesser version of Blackfoot.
                                  Yep, that's pretty much where they exist nowadays. I was a Nirvana fan who enjoyed much of the first couple of Foos albums, so it bugs me a bit. But only a bit.

Comment

Am still quite fond of The Colour And The Shape, and occasionally I still play bits of There Is Nothing Left To Lose. They're okay by me.

Comment

Caught up with Gibb, who was good, although I find it disconcerting the way he puts on his singing voice, I kind of assumed they used to just speed the tape up. Perhaps it was a bit of both.

Talking of distinctive singing voices, I thought Liam was rather good. Looks good for his age, which is roughly my age, sounds good and the new songs are better than 80 per cent of Oasis'. Could be a big year for him, on current form he would be doing Noel a favour if he agreed to a reunion.

Comment

The only band which really impressed me were Circa Waves and they were right at the very bottom of the bill.

Comment

Working...
                                        X