No announcement yet.

The Notorious BRC - Scottish Fitba 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arbroath FC are searching for living relatives of John Petrie, who scored 13 of the 36 goals against Bon Accord.

They don't actually say why, but I assume it's for nice reasons.

Whenever anyone mentions Fife I think of my former Twitter mate, who disappeared off the platform some time ago. She was lovely, and really made me want to visit the county (and its football clubs, especially East Fife). I do hope she's OK.

Comment

A couple of sackings after the weekend's results. Winless Falkirk, having lost 2-0 at home to Livingston, have binned Peter Houston which comes as a surprise to not many, whilst Ross County have lost patience with Jim McIntyre and Billy Dodds which I thought was a bit more surprising.

Had a quick look at the Falkirk fans forum which was full of bitterness and bile directed at Houston, and a lot of the comments were exceptionally similar to what was spouted on the St Mirren fans forum last season when Alex Rae was in charge and incredibly continued well into when Jack Ross took over.

So Falkirk fans who were hoping Paul Hartley will get the job will now be a bit worried that he'll go to County instead. I'd love to see the mood on that Falkirk fans forum if Yogi Hughes gets the job.

Comment

Ross County wasting no time and now have Owen Coyle in charge for when they visit Killie tomorrow. His managerial career started off really well, especially with St Johnstone & Burnley, but it's been pretty shit at quite a number of clubs now. This could turn out to be a horrible season for County.

Comment

With Scotland having all but qualified for Russia 2018, the attention of the nation (or should that be nations) now shifts to the Diddy Cup.

It all starts tonight when Dumbarton host Stranraer, but the real fun begins tomorrow. Paul Hartley, newly appointed at Falkirk, gets to see just what the hell he's inherited when they host Dunfermline. Always a bit of bit of needle when these two meet so should be a decent crowd.

Top of the Championship plays Top of League One as Raith Rovers come to Paisley. Our 2-1 win over Brechin City last Saturday was our 8th consecutive home win in all competitions, which is apparently our best run in over 40 years (according to the SPFL stats).

Dundee Utd have to wait until 5.15pm so BBC Alba can show their game against Linfield live, and similar for TNS at home to Elgin, kicking off at 4.30pm so S4C can show it. God knows what the viewing figures will be for that game.

Comment

Has the experiment of including the other British Isles leagues gone well?

Comment

The novelty of facing teams from Wales & now both Ireland's hasn't worn off yet. I think the SPFL subsidises the Scottish clubs who are drawn away to these teams regarding travel costs but not sure if it's enough, however last season Alloa's chairman was quite excited that they got drawn away at Bala Town as it was something unique. I'm not too sure who covers the travel costs when the non-Scottish teams are drawn to play away.

TNS appear to be the best of the non-Scottish clubs, having reaching the semis last season and made it through on Saturday. Not surprising given they're regulars in the Champions League summer qualifiers, so have experience of playing competitively in another country.

The experiment of involving the Premiership U20s has been a waste of time and adds nothing to the tournament.

Comment

With Scotland having all but qualified for Russia 2018

It's a shame we don't have a sarcasm font on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                  The novelty of facing teams from Wales & now both Ireland's hasn't worn off yet...TNS appear to be the best of the non-Scottish clubs, having reaching the semis last season and made it through on Saturday. Not surprising given they're regulars in the Champions League summer qualifiers, so have experience of playing competitively in another country
                  Er...Linfield and Crusaders have some experience of the Summer CL rounds too.

The Hatchetmen are also in the Quarters. Giantkilling an Arab, hopefully

Comment

You're quite right fella, and apologies for missing you boys out. The full Diddy Cup quarter-final draw as follows:

Dundee United v Crusaders
                    The New Saints v Queen of the South
                    Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Falkirk
                    Dumbarton v Raith Rovers

Comment

Cheers CYB. Will there be a game on Alba? I see they're repeating my favorite series, "Buskers". It covers both the tourist traps (Royal Mile/ Buchanan Street/ Stirling Castle) and the less so (Wishaw and Coatbridge town centers). A regular feature is drunks lurching out of a bar and demanding the Sash. Though possibly not in Coatbridge

Comment

Unsurprisingly TNS V Queen of the South is live on S4C, but Alba have chosen Inverness V Falkirk. I was convinced they'd be at Tannadice again.

Comment

Peterhead win 9-0 in the Cup. Did someone send the cricket team by mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Peterhead win 9-0 in the Cup. Did someone send the cricket team by mistake?
                            It'd be a terrible score if they did send the cricket team.

Comment

I was alluding to a common belief about Bon Accord, but Wiki claims this is a myth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroa...930_Bon_Accord

Comment

In one of those laugh or cry moments the SFA have managed to draw the second round of the Scottish Cup after two attempts.

The first attempt saw Brora Rangers drawn twice, the only real disappointment being, I suppose, that they didn't draw themselves. Glenafton have been denied a great tie at home to Queen of the South and been bumped to an away tie at Livi as a result.

What a fucking joke. These are the cunts that are replacing Gordon Strachan as national manager and they can't even ensure a game of fucking bingo.

On the plus side East Fife 5 Albion Rovers 4, close but no cigar.

Comment

Is f-all being done with the Meadowbank replacement yet RobM? Suppose Embra City will have to squat at some Rugger ground or another till the new tiny stadium is built.

Comment

AFAIK, the plans are to build smaller stadium with a 499 capacity (to avoid the regulations applied if 500 capacity). The stand will be at the 100m finish and so will be halfway down one end of the pitch. I think City are going to be staying at Ainslie Park as a result (ETA: really unsure about this though).
                                    Last edited by MrLeam; 15-10-2017, 06:46.

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
                                      In one of those laugh or cry moments the SFA have managed to draw the second round of the Scottish Cup after two attempts.

The first attempt saw Brora Rangers drawn twice, the only real disappointment being, I suppose, that they didn't draw themselves. Glenafton have been denied a great tie at home to Queen of the South and been bumped to an away tie at Livi as a result.

What a fucking joke. These are the cunts that are replacing Gordon Strachan as national manager and they can't even ensure a game of fucking bingo.

On the plus side East Fife 5 Albion Rovers 4, close but no cigar.
                                      Jesus, I've just seen the footage. Definitely a laugh moment http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...done-1-4587158

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                        AFAIK, the plans are to build smaller stadium with a 499 capacity (to avoid the regulations applied if 500 capacity). The stand will be at the 100m finish and so will be halfway down one end of the pitch. I think City are going to be staying at Ainslie Park as a result (ETA: really unsure about this though).

You’d be some kind of fanny to take BBC website reports as gospel, but it seems the plan is to stay in Pilton with Spartans for three seasons while the Meadowbank complex is redeveloped/bits louped off for housing. So I guess even if the new Meadowbank stand only holds 499 there must be an expectation that folk will be allowed to stand around the other parts of the running track (or there will be space for temporary bleachers), or Embra City would be looking for a new ground for every big cup draw (I’m assuming they will never be promoted high enough for other teams to bring a regular large traveling support).

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Is f-all being done with the Meadowbank replacement yet RobM? Suppose Embra City will have to squat at some Rugger ground or another till the new tiny stadium is built.
                                          From what I understand MrLeam's got it right there. Not sure if maybe the stands maybe going to be a little bigger but City are out at Spartans Ainslie Park for this season.

City of Edinburgh Council responsible for Meadowbank so just about anything could happen there, probably end up a tram terminus.
                                          Last edited by RobM; 15-10-2017, 17:23.

Comment

Rangers. For fuck sake.

Comment

Ray McKinnon's been sacked by Dundee Utd after their 2-0 home defeat to the very average Inverness. But with Utd being allegedly skint, they can't afford to pay any compensation to hire an already employed manager so they'll be scouring the 'sacked for being shite' market instead. So the usual names are in the frame - Peter Houston, Jim McIntyre and Yogi Hughes. Hughes is the early favourite - what do the Utd faithful think of that? His bully-boy tactics worked a treat at Raith Rovers last season.

Comment

Time for an update!

Congratulations (grrr) to Celtic for setting a British domestic record of 63 games unbeaten. They pumped St Johnstone (coincidentally, the last Scottish team to beat them) 4-0 in Perth. My mob could only get a draw in Hamilton but it was good to see Arnason get his first goal in his second spell. Rangers and Hibs both won at home. That's the top four - six points separating them. In the other game today, County beat Well 3-2.

There's only two points among the top five in the Championship - United beat St Mirren at Tannadice so those two are now level at the top. There's a break now for internationals - Scotland are playing Netherlands at Pittodrie, I can't see it being a big crowd despite two Dons players, plus Christie who we have on loan from Celtic, getting called up by (ahem) Malky Mackay.

Comment

Had a great afternoon on Saturday watching The Athletic v Downfield, decent display edging Musselburgh home 3-2 in a good game.

Went to Murrayfield on Sunday and wanted to cry.

Comment

The highlights commentary said that was Hearts' tenth game at Murrayfield. When has it happened before?
                                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 07-11-2017, 13:21.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X