No announcement yet.

The Notorious BRC - Scottish Fitba 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is in the process of being repealed (awaiting only Royal Assent, I think)

Comment

Is it a crude criminalization of the football fan, or is it wider society telling the old firm to stop being cunts?

It was intended to be the latter, but has ended up the former as Police Scotland found they had fun new powers to abuse; the law was too broadly written, and the cops in Scotland - always on the lookout for another way to annoy the general populace - found an alternative excuse to arrest people on the flimsiest of evidence (their old favourite "breach of the peace" is now considered passé as judges and defence counsels have got wise to it).

Comment

It more or less replicates existing breach of the peace offences, but creates a new test of a hypothetical bystander who may have been offended by the language. Which has been used by the cops to prosecute when there has been no offense reported to them. And not just sectarianism either- think Aberdeen fans were charged for calling Weegies soap dodgers. It could have been reformed but it’s being binned. Was one of those unanimously passed pieces of bad legislation in a rush (following Scenes at a 2011 Old Firm game). Law only applies to fitba fans, not rugger cunts or indeed orange walks.

Worry is now SLab are dog whistling to both sides of the Ugly Sisters. mSP James Kelly is also calling for drink to be sold at grounds again (banned since 1980 Old Firm madness). That’s just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
          Earlier this week the old Love St site, which will finally be redeveloped for housing having sat vacant since St Mirren moved ground in 2009, had streets named after four ex-Saints players http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-west-43392372

I'm really happy that big Yardley got a street named after him. The butt of so many cruel jibes, usually from the Paisley faithful, he'll forever be my favourite Saints player.
          The first time I saw St Mirren was at Tannadice in 1977. They lost 2-1 but from memory I was very impressed with the young team - Fitzpatrick, McGarvey,Mowat etc. I guess Fergie must have been managing.

Actually what I most remember is a bus on the way back to Paisley stuck at the lights with the back seat all giving me the V's.

Comment

Hi-tension at Central park, Cowdenbeath, as the Blue Brazil lead Elgin 2-1 going into the closing minutes, and will record their first league win since august if it stays the same.

Comment

Are Rangers still a poor side?

Comment

To see Rangers or Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                  The first time I saw St Mirren was at Tannadice in 1977. They lost 2-1 but from memory I was very impressed with the young team - Fitzpatrick, McGarvey,Mowat etc. I guess Fergie must have been managing.

Actually what I most remember is a bus on the way back to Paisley stuck at the lights with the back seat all giving me the V's.
                  Ahh, the joys of flicking someone the V's. I did it just last week when I was waiting at the traffic lights and a work colleague in his car pulled up alongside me. He rolled down his window to say "Hello" and I instinctively replied by giving him the V's. Try and not view that incident back in the 70's as an act of aggression; you can clearly see that it was more a term of endearment.

So this weekend it's the Diddy Cup Final!!!! Dumbarton V Inverness this Saturday at McDiarmid Park with a 4.15pm kick off, live on Alba. Sons recently went 7 games in a row without scoring a single goal, but back-to-back victories against Brechin in the league has seen them finally break their drought and keep the pressure on Falkirk and Inverness for that relegation play-off. Inverness know how to dominate games, but they too have had problems sticking the ball in the net and making that domination count, hence they're only 1 place and 4 points above the Sons in the league.

Elsewhere there's 3 fixtures in the Championship as the chasing pack look to close the 12-point gap on St Mirren. But with Dundee Utd playing at Tannadice in front of a rather toxic home support it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they lost again, just like they did in midweek against Queen of the South.

Full fixture card in League 1, with Ayr really pushing on at the top and Raith Rovers in real danger of having to settle for a play-off. Honest Men 6 points clear having played 1 game more than Raith, but should easily dispose of bottom-placed Queens Park at Somerset. Raith take on lovable Airdrie at the Shyberry Excelsior or whatever it's called nowadays.

In League 2, the bottom-placed Blue Brazil are on a roll with 7 points in their last 3 games. 9 points off Berwick Rangers and played a game more, so they're still screwed. Montrose looking good at the top having beaten Peterhead 3-2 last week in the top-of-the-table clash.

Oh yeah, anyone off to Hampden to see Scotland tonight?

Comment

But with Dundee Utd playing at Tannadice in front of a rather toxic home support it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they lost again, just like they did in midweek against Queen of the South.
                    Very accurate assessment Boaby. We are far better away at the moment. Still Mohsni might get a 1st start and punch someone's puss...

Comment

Top posting from the Boabster, thanks for the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                        back-to-back victories against Brechin in the league
                        Angus's No 1 team are having a mare of a season, aren't they. Anyway, Arbroath could still replace them in the second next season...

Comment

When doing a bit of homework on how the diddy cup works, I came across this article containing an idea with a familiar name behind it.
                          http://nonleague.pitchero.com/featur...h-irn-bru-cup/

Comment

St Mirren were 4 mins (+ injury time) away from clinching the Championship title on Saturday until Livingston took the lead and hung on to beat Morton 3-2. We continued our narrative against Brechin City, beating them by a single goal for the 4th time this season and making the gap between top & bottom appear far smaller than it actually is. For the Brechin fans who’ve seen all 4 games between us, they’d be forgiven for thinking that we’re the worst ever Champions-elect, as they’ve given us a real scare every time.

So tomorrow evening we head to Tannadice, where a single point will see us clinch the title at the home of the pre-season favourites. This brings back memories of the 2001/02 season when we were the pre-season red-hot favourites, with delusional sky-high expectations of seeing title celebrations at Love Street come the end of the season. Title celebrations were indeed witnessed when Partick Thistle rode into town and clinched the title on a sunny April afternoon.

I remember the bookies had us down at something ridiculous like 11/8 to win the title that season and a local branch of Corals was oh so generously offering odds of 2/1 if you bet 50 quid or more. We ended up 8th that season, narrowly avoiding relegation and things would get far worse before they got better as John Coughlin would soon be manager. So there you go Felicity, fear not as you boys are in a far better position than we were all those years ago. But if you hear the name John Coughlin being touted as your next manager, run for the hills!

Comment

Hahaha. At least the frowning foreheadless fuck will never be Liverpool manager after ignominious failure at Greyskull.

Comment

That is brilliant. He might even get a game.

Comment

Oh yes. Cross field balls needlessly pinged at 100 miles an hour toward the winger’s thigh, a stream of Scouse expletives directed toward the poor schmuck who couldn’t trap it, horrorshow tackles that demonstrate Pride and Passion, it would be fantastic. Would love to see how he’d react to a Scott Brown Special as well.

He’d have the team Running Around. Of that there is no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    He’d have the team Running Around. Of that there is no doubt.
                                    Ah, so signing Scott Arfield in the summer now makes sense.

Still, ex-Liverpool player stepping into his first management gig with one of the Old Firm. What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Haha. At least Barnes had a plan. He just couldn’t execute it. Tactics were a foreign country to Stevie Me on the pitch, not convinced he’ll be a deep thinker off it.

Comment

This is almost too good to be true, the potential for comedy meltdown is sky high. Obviously I don't know Stevie G but he doesn't strike me as an individual who takes kindly to criticism and he'll get plenty of that at Ibrox. He'd do far, far better learning his trade for a few years at Anfield then going to a smaller lower league club to move up before, if he is capable, stepping up. But that's not what these guys usually do. Well, the smart ones do. But again, Stevie doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Scottish football probably needs a Rangers capable of competing with Celtic but they are going to need an absolutely top class, experienced manager who knows what they are getting into to do that. I'd say Stevie Clark is a far better candidate. I think he could cope mentally, in fact I think he would intimidate the press and puntersphere far more than they him. The job he's done at Killie is nothing short of miraculous.

Although, Graeme Murty does come across as a decent, unaffected and intelligent guy and I quite like him but those aren't the traits of a successful Rangers manager.

What is the story with this Scottish football sectarianism law? I see it mentioned from time to time on facebook by Glasgow trad musician friends. What does it do, and is it broadly speaking a good or bad thing. I can't find anything that tells me what it actually does in practice, but lots of evidence that many Rangers and Celtic fans seem to really dislike it. (Which is not inconsistent with it being a good law) Is it a crude criminalization of the football fan, or is it wider society telling the old firm to stop being cunts?

Blameless & Lang Spoon make excellent points above. All the required legislation was already in place. It was a piece of 'showboating' legislation by the SNP designed to show that they were doing something about the problem. However, like a lot of Holyrood legislation it was poorly thought out and poorly drafted and poorly executed by the polis.

I could be wrong but I also think the SNP were going for the Labour Tim vote (can I say that? Is that now a slur? Can I be charged under this legislation for sectarian word crime? If so I'm only using it ironically to reinforce my point) with this legislation. 'Look at us, we'll sort out those bigots at Ibrox with their sectarian singing, vote for us.'

However, the outraged squealing from the Parkhead faithful when some of them got done would make you think there is only one side to the sectarian coin. It's as if they* really didn't think it applied to them.

*Well, only some to be fair.

Tonight Aberdeen host the Powers of Darkness although they are neither as powerful or as dark as they used to be. Less Voldamort and more like, er, one of the shittier bad Harry Potter wizards none of whom I can name right now because HP is pish. (That could probably do with a bit of polishing but you ken fit wa').

I really hope the Dandies turn up tonight and give them a thrashing. It's about time.

Comment

Actually, scrub those last two paras, I'm talking pish. We are playing the wee Rangers tonight. Don't get me started on Avril.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Still, ex-Liverpool player stepping into his first management gig with one of the Old Firm. What could possibly go wrong?
                                            Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Haha. At least Barnes had a plan. He just couldn’t execute it. Tactics were a foreign country to Stevie Me on the pitch, not convinced he’ll be a deep thinker off it.
                                            Ah, so Snake didn't mean Souness, as I thought, then?! I did wonder, given hiring him didn't "go wrong".
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-04-2018, 14:15.

Comment

Well, the cash injection and bringing up half the England team did pretty much destroy Scottish football (that and Ferguson going south).

Comment

I was referring to Barnes, yes.

Comment

Play-offs then. Tbh Rovers didn’t deserve to be Champions.

Comment

Liverpool Twitter has issues with the Gerrard news (click to see the whole thread)

https://twitter.com/jackross1872/status/990361481375084544?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                    X