No announcement yet.

Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm coming over for my Mum's 80th in two and a half weeks and was all set for Lincoln v Newport on the 27th. And then Newport gets to the fourth round of the FA fucking Cup - what are the fucking odds? I'm willing to bet that's the first time in 70 years, at least. Thanks to useless bastarding Leeds. As if I didn't have more than enough reasons to hate Leeds already - they've been piling up for decades. But this seems deliberately vindictive. I texted my sister, a Leeds fan, demanding to know what was happening, and she just texted back a row of LMAO emojis. So she's obviously in on it with the rest of the club. Fucking Leeds. I hope they go up to the Premier League and get battered 8-0 every fucking week.

Comment

Lincoln City/OTF legend Trev Meath is attending tonight's game against Newport. Good game - Lincoln 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go.

Comment

Went to Cambridge on Friday night (thanks Cambridge and the police for insisting we play on a Friday again). Fairly open game overall, though would venture we had two best chances in first half, missing the target completely each time. Pett started ahead of Danny Rowe but it was Harry Anderson who looked the most dangerous of our players. We grew tired after about the hour mark, having played on the Tuesday against Chelsea Kids, and Cambridge grew in confidence and Allsop (seemingly now first choice keeper over Farman) made a smart stop. Don't think we forced the Cambridge keeper into any saves whatsoever but went close on a number of occasions.
        James Wilson started at the back alongside Waterfall but hobbled off and was replaced by Scott Wharton, who seemed more than competent. I've seen Danny Rowe a few times now since he joined on loan, and he hasn't hit the heights I was expecting yet. Maybe he just needs the game time, but Anderson is our best winger. So full of energy and enterprise. Hopefully Pett can develop into a genuine threat from the wing. Difficult game at home to Cheltenham tonight, then Crawley on Saturday. Got my tickets for Coventry away and so far I think we've sold our initial 3,000 allocation.

Comment

Injury time winner vs Notts County on Saturday, only our second win in six months, unlikely to be followed up tonight at Yeovil I fear. We need at least six wins from our remaining games to have any chance of staying up I think.

Comment

I don’t think there were many among Newport’s fatigued staff who were saddened by Saturday’s postponement. Tough game at Mansfield tonight followed by a home game v Notts County. Our play-off hopes could be toast by Saturday night.

Meanwhile Port Vale have still to win in 2018. Their transfer window resembled a closing down sale and they’re really paying the price. Tonight’s game v Exeter is postponed, so they have to wait a little longer to shake off the hangover of Saturday’s 5-1 loss v Cheltenham.

Comment

With games postponed (Vale) and abandoned (Forest Green) Exeter have become the team with games in hand, an old tradition which has rather faded with modern ground care and fewer cup replays. I'm constantly adding 6 or 9 to our points total, far more satisfying than when we get around to playing.

Meanwhile, Chesterfield are in deep shit. Another relic of Div 3 (North) off to join Hartlepool, Tranmere et al.

Comment

It's a tight division, right enough. Lincoln couldn't have complained at a Cheltenham equaliser last night - the visitors were well worth a point. The only game I've watched this season that was no contest was the away win at Crewe.

Comment

As far as Newport's play-off hopes being toast are concerned, it would appear from last night's five-nil (Mansfield had 27 shots at goal) that the grill is certainly on HIGH.

Comment

Well, we're almost certainly down. Goals in the 1st and 93rd minutes after their keeper made four outstanding saves. Legacy of appointing a former gymnast as manager on the cheap.

Comment

We could well be involved in some bet to see how mid table we can be - 13th place, zero goal difference, win one, lose one, draw one, repeat.

This week was a first - I completely forgot we were playing. I've often forgotten and then realised during a game (by seeing mention on Facebook or when TRL texts me to say he's there), or even shortly after the end of a game. On Tuesday I remained completely oblivious and only realised on Wednesday morning when my car share colleague (and fellow season ticket holder) mentioned we'd got beat, and even then he'd forgotten as well and only just heard the score on the radio.

Keith Curle has refused to speak to the media after the last two games, and Lee Clark has been spotted in the stands. There is a fog of misery and apathy around the whole club, and it'll take more than a Lionel Ritchie concert to lift it.

Comment

I dunno man, never underestimate how much footballers love Lionel Richie.

Comment

Lee Clark?!!!

Comment

Hahahahaha brilliant. Lee Clark. Can we have Kavanagh back?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                              Can we have Kavanagh back?
                              Don’t even joke about it!

Comment

Coventry have lost three on the trot to drop from third place to... actually, I don't even know. 9th? 10th?

Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from a portion of the fanbase who think we have a divine right to walk the division because... well, because we were in the Premier League once. Teams like Forest Green and Accrington are derided as "pub teams" and suchlike. Well, they are in League 2 by merit, just as we are.

You'd think we'd be used to failure by now.

Comment

Well, had a thoroughly rotten day at Crawley yesterday. Pain in the arse getting there due to a collision between a vehicle and a train at a level crossing causing delays, and the game itself was a load of old toss. Credit to Crawley, they thoroughly deserved the win and was impressed by their right back (or wing back) and Boldewijn up front. Once again, Lincoln didn't start playing until after the break, and after a period of sustained pressure got an equaliser. However, just as we looked like we could go on and win it from there, we give away a penalty and then don't defend a free kick.
                                  The ref sent Danny Cowley off at the break, though DC is adamant he was only on the pitch to drag Luke Waterfall away from getting a second booking. He'll likely get a touchline ban at some point. Just glad we have a week off now, so the players can re-charge their batteries.

Comment

What's happened to Grimsby? Are they pining for the Fyldes?

Comment

Coventry have lost three on the trot to drop from third place to... actually, I don't even know. 9th? 10th?
                                      Coventry seem to be becoming pathological in their desire to not finish above sixth in any division since the first time since we still had pre-decimal currency, or whenever.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                        Coventry seem to be becoming pathological in their desire to not finish above sixth in any division since the first time since we still had pre-decimal currency, or whenever.
                                        They've got Barnet at home Saturday, so should resolve that by running up a cricket score.

Comment

Carlisle are giving the impression of storming towards the play off places, winning four on the bounce. It's deceptive though - those four wins, and the only other two we've managed in 2018 have been against teams in the bottom eight. The good news is that we've still got to play the other two yet, the bad news is that we have to start beating better teams to get close to the play offs, particularly with others having games in hand, and I don't think we have the quality available (or the tactical stability) for it. Still, the back end of the season looks more interesting now than it did a few weeks ago.

Comment

Newport v Forest Green tonight but I won't be going. That recent game at Vale Park did for me. Vale played one man upfront who was in need of a hernia operation, Newport countered with a five man back line. I need a break.

Earlier in the season Newport thumped FGR 4-0 away. These days we're lucky to score one.

Comment

Fucking typical. 3-2 at half-time.

Comment

God bless Ollie Palmer. Apparently City played well enough last night but didn't take their chances (again). Palmer chose to celebrate his last minute equaliser in front of the home fans which wasn't wise. A bottle was thrown at the City players celebrating and Luke Waterfall promptly through it back into the crowd, earning himself a straight red. Must win games against Chesterfield and Grimsby I feel, if we're going to be serious contenders for the play offs.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                                  Fucking typical. 3-2 at half-time.
                                                  Ha ha, I thought of you as soon as I saw that.

@RobW - watched this on iFollow, they did play well enough to earn a draw at the very least. Every time this season I've watched them and Palmer's come on, he's either scored or come very close, and he's often been the only one who looks like scoring. One of those odd players who's not really rated, but who always seems to make things happen.

Comment

Excellent 3 points against the Cods on Saturday. Seemed to destroy them in a 10 minute period in the first half and race into a 3-0 lead. Was hoping Russell Slade might return at half time and give another team talk in the centre circle. Despite giving away a cheap pen, City saw the second half out. Tricky away fixture against Morecambe coming up, I shall be there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X