No announcement yet.

Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one disappointing thing about Vale playing FGR this weekend is that we're most probably going to lose to Colchester so it doesn't matter what happens at Vale Park, we're going to be back in the bottom 2 by 5pm on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Limey View Post
      Mixed feelings about iFollow. As Imp said, there is no commentary and no replays, so it's easy to miss things. Then again, it's nice to be able to watch the Sky Blues for the first time in 16 years (I left the UK in 2001 - same year we got relegated from the Premier League). I'll persevere.
      I've written to iFollow to complain about the lack of sync between there action and the sound, and they say they've not had many complaints about sound. Has that been an issue with you, or are your sound and action synchronised?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
        I've written to iFollow to complain about the lack of sync between there action and the sound, and they say they've not had many complaints about sound. Has that been an issue with you, or are your sound and action synchronised?
        Works fine for me, but you're not the only person I've seen complaining about the lack of synchronisation. Have you tried it on different platforms? Maybe streaming from the web might work better than the app (or vice versa)?

One possible way around the issue: Does Lincoln iFollow offer a live audio commentary separate from the video? For the last Cov game, I turned on the commentary first, then, in a new tab, started streaming the video. They don't match up initially (the audio lags the video by a couple of seconds), but you can pause the video until they sync.

Speaking of the last Cov game: we are back up to fourth after a 2-0 win over Carlisle in conditions that made me glad I was watching from the comfort of my office in warm and sunny New Jersey. The bad news is that our most creative player, Tony Andreu, is out for the season with a torn ACL, which isn't going to help our anaemic attack.

Comment

Carlisle are pish again. After the defeat at Coventry mentioned above, Keith Curle had them in for training at 9am, which is some going after a midweek away game in the Midlands finishing around 10pm. I suppose it could go either way, could galvanise the team and Barnet could 'feel the backlash', or we could see a load of random changes to the starting line-up, go one down in the first ten minutes and have players arguing amongst themselves and with the manager. I'm expecting the latter.

Comment

Appointing an inexperienced manager didn't work for Port Vale. Neither has just soldiering on without a manager.

Next plan is rumoured to be "Appoint a Vale legend of 400-odd games who has never managed above non-league level and watch his reputation sink into the cesspit".

Brace yourself, Neil Aspin.

Edit: it's perhaps worth mentioning that Port Vale's owner recently denied Aspin was in the frame, prompting oddsmakers to immediately install him as favourite. This perhaps goes some way to demonstrate the credibility of his ramblings. Never, in the history of the internet, has one man claimed to have had his Twitter account hacked by lunatics more times than poor Norman Smurthwaite.
            Last edited by HORN; 03-10-2017, 06:18.

Comment

Further to my previous post, Neil Aspin has been confirmed as Port Vale manager. His is the only testimonial I have ever bothered to attend such was the affection I felt for him. He was also Robbie Williams' favourite player but let's not dwell too much on that.

Well, if Aspin's return has not caused enough of a retro love-in, he's being joined by none other than former manager John Rudge who, at seventy-two years of age, has been appointed DofF.

It's perhaps hard to express the good will (actually it's a strange kind of love) so many Vale fans have for this man Rudge who few will have ever met. After he was sacked (I still remember where I was when I heard the news - such was the enormity of the event) there was uproar with Vale fans marching through Burslem in a flat cap protest (Rudgie was rarely seen out and about without one).

Plenty of lapsed fans are breaking their Vale fast to attend Saturday's game. It's almost as if they've become momentarily blind to how shit the current team is. I just pray that visitors Grimsby remember their place in this particular celebration.

Comment

Barnet v Coventry live on Sky tomorrow. God help us. With an average gate of less than 2,000 and the cameras facing away from the only side of the ground looking like it's anything other than 90% empty of home fans, seven first-teamers out with long-term injuries and woeful recent form, this could be our heaviest home defeat since we moved to Edgware.

Comment

Yeah there's been some talk on the Cov forums about how Barnet are in terrible form and missing half the team. Meanwhile, we are on the back of three consecutive wins, including victories over Exeter and Swindon.

But this is Coventry, of course. So... Home win, surely.

Comment

Just under 6000 turned up to welcome John Rudge and Neil Aspin back to Port Vale (including one guy who travelled 8000 miles just for the day). But after a cracking first 45 after which Vale led 1-0, normal service was resumed and Grimsby left with the three points.

The new management team will be under no illusions about the scale of their task.

Comment

Originally posted by Limey View Post
                      Yeah there's been some talk on the Cov forums about how Barnet are in terrible form and missing half the team. Meanwhile, we are on the back of three consecutive wins, including victories over Exeter and Swindon.

But this is Coventry, of course. So... Home win, surely.
                      9 injuries including all but one striker. 0-0 draw superb result, even if the game was shit.

Comment

Port Vale managed to lose around 25% of their home attendance between Neil Aspin's first and second games in charge. The faithful were rewarded with Vale's first home league win of the campaign.

Newport did the necessary at Forest Green. As usual long throws and corners were the order of the day.

Comment

Carlisle are schizophrenic. Haven't won at home since 19 August but have won the last three aways without conceding. This isn't down to the oppressive white hot atmosphere generated at Brunton Park, cos there isn't one. It might be down to our manager's habit of treating opponents with too much respect and setting up with 4-5-1 at home. Anyway, we've got two of the top five at home this week, so it's easy money backing Wycombe and Notts County respectively.

Comment

Interesting results in League Two: Exeter losing at home to Port Vale, Luton held by Crawley, FGR winning two on the trot on their travels....

Thank God for Coventry City, as blandly predictable as ever - and now closing in on seven-and-a-half hours without a goal scored.

Comment

Watched Lincoln put four past Crewe in a mighty second half performance on iFollow, though felt a twinge of guilt at seeing so many Crewe fans walking out early and hearing "What a load of rubbish" chants. Will be at Sincil Bank next Saturday for the Coventry game - let's call it a Playoff Six-Pointer to get this thread in the mood. The table's looking as tight as many of the games I've seen.

Comment

I watched Cheltenham get a deserved 97th minute equaliser against Luton.

First half, the Hatters absolutely battered us and should have been 3 or 4 up, but for some wasteful finishing and great goalkeeping from Scott Fliners in our goal. We stole an equaliser late on in the 1st half to go in at 1-1. Second half we dominated but couldn't properly test their keeper. They then get a nothing free-kick, which they score from, in the last 10 mins. I was absolutely gutted, but a monumental error from their keeper gave us a corner which brought Scott Flinders up, his header towards goal was then directed into the net by Will Boyle which led to pandemonium in our end.

Nothing beats a last minute goal to steal a point or three.

Our home form will see us to a decent mid-table finish this season, I'm confident of that.

Comment

I saw Carlisle beat Yeovil 4-0. Well, I say that, but I was typing a text at what I thought was a quiet moment early in the game just as Danny Grainger scored with a long range effort, and we'd left before the fourth goal (we actually didn't know it had finished 4-0 til about 9pm). And I, along with the rest of the ground and the TV camera, didn't see the incident for which we were given a penalty for the third goal. I definitely saw the second goal and the build-up to it, but would have missed it if it was my turn to go to the bar. But yeah, 4-0, best home win in seven years apparently.

Comment

Went last night to see Colchester v Lincoln. Without a doubt the worst i've seen Lincoln play under the Cowleys. The first 45 minutes was absolute garbage. Gifted Colchester a goal in their first attack and never threatened from open play. Arnold hit a free kick that smacked the underside of the bar and Ollie Palmer couldn't put in the rebound. Beyond that, we offered naff all, and the home side always looked more likely to bag a second. Don't think Colchester looked particularly good, just that City were atrocious. Neither full back looked comfortable at all, and Billy Knott looks like a shadow of his former self. The formation didn't seem to help matters. Second half was a tiny improvement, only cos big Matt Rhead came on alongside Matt Green. Still created very few chances, and but for Josh Vickers in goal, the scoreline would have been a lot more comfortable for Colchester. Harry Anderson by far out best outfield player, with great pace and the ability to get behind the opposition defence. Didn't seem like we wanted to do that last night until the final 10 minutes though. Just hope Michael Bostwick makes a swift return from injury.

Comment

It's the first ever all-Gloucestershire Football League match on Saturday (the Bristols don't count, even though they play in the Gloucestershire County Cup) with Cheltenham travelling to Ecotricity FC.

As I despise that club (for purely non-footballing reasons) and would rather go to Coventry a few weeks later, with the wife only giving me permission for one of them, I shan't be going, but for the first time in a very long time in the Football League, Cheltenham have sold out an away end and will have fans in the home ends. It's like we're a big club or something...

Comment

I checked the scores as I left the theatre on Tuesday night to see Barnet 1-0 down after 88 minutes. By the time I had walked the 100 yards to the car park we'd won 2-1, our first win since early September. Good job I am not superstitious as I it would be impossible to build in seeing the Stylistics in concert for every pre-match routine.

Comment

Could you put your head down next time and sprint please?

That way we might’ve clung on for a point.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
                                            I checked the scores as I left the theatre on Tuesday night to see Barnet 1-0 down after 88 minutes. By the time I had walked the 100 yards to the car park we'd won 2-1, our first win since early September. Good job I am not superstitious as I it would be impossible to build in seeing the Stylistics in concert for every pre-match routine.
                                            Out of interest, how has Mark McGhee gone down so far?

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                              Out of interest, how has Mark McGhee gone down so far?
                                              Given that he has led us to our first win since the abolition of window tax most people think he's the best thing since Enfield FC imploded.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
                                                Has their lead singer’s voice broken yet?

Comment

Horrible news for Jodi Jones of Coventry. Out for the season with knee ligament damage. Sad, but not surprised to see some Lincoln fans call it 'karma' for Jones goading the home fans last weekend after scoring. Twats.

Comment

Yes, I was just coming on here to post about Jones. Arguably the best player in the division, and certainly the best at Coventry.

Our second-best player, Tony Andreu, is also out for the season with an ACL tear. So, lots of hang-wringing on the Cov forum about the club's rotten luck. I understand the feeling. Having lived in the U.S. for 16 years, I've noticed there is a superstitious belief among American sports fans that certain franchises are cursed to enduring failure. The Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox are two of the most notable examples of teams that were considered doomed never to win the World Series again. (Mind you, both teams did eventually win the World Series, thus "breaking the curse". Or, if you prefer, proving that the whole concept is a load of bollocks.) Fans of the New York Red Bulls, my local club and the only founding team in MLS not to have won the MLS Cup, also believe themselves to be cursed.

If we were to subscribe to such superstitious stuff in the more-rational UK, I can't think of a team I would consider more likely to be under a hex than Coventry, who have bounced from disaster to disaster for the best part of half a century, both on and off the pitch. The other day, I saw a stat suggesting that City have the lowest win percentage of any professional football club in Europe over the last 50 years. We have not finished in the top six of any division since 1970.

Depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X