Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Sir.

I am far from pessimistic, I have full faith in Gary Johnson to get the right players in, and Harry Pell turning Blackpool down to stay at the club has given the fans some optimism.

Comment

Newport's never say die spirit continues to be laudable though I'd prefer us not needing to pull rabbits out of hats quite so often. Saturday we looked down and out at 1-3 but ended with a point.

Our opponents fielded a lovely young player named Alex Samuel. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Newport and was excellent - one of those 100 per cent players who runs, runs then runs some more, wearing defences down, winning pens, free-kicks, creating space for other players. He was a star. Without him there is no doubt Newport would have been relegated. No doubt at all.

No prizes for guessing the reception he got from a significant number of our pissed-up wanker fans on Saturday.

Comment

Notts County chairman Alan Hardy is a self-effacing soul. Or a show-off, I can't quite tell.

Here he has done some of Chesterfield's team talk for tomorrow

More from Hardy to follow, inevitably, in the weeks to come.

Comment

Kept a clean sheet versus Luton. Fuck me.

Comment

I expected Port Vale to do badly, and they are. But worse than that the signs are that the manager is a failure and will need replacing.

Meanwhile I expected Newport to do badly but they're doing well (1-0 win today at Coventry). If the manager continues in this vein he's going to get picked up by some League 1 bastards.

Comment

Exeter doing their best to raise hopes with a good start. It'll fall apart soon enough.

Comment

Wonder how long it'll be before the attendances start dropping at Sincil Bank.

Comment

3-0 against Cheltenham, big contrast from the first home game - two up front for a more positive approach, dropping defensive weak spot Liddle to the bench, and an early goal set the tone for a much more upbeat afternoon. They'd even cleared most of the birdshit from round our seats. I actually left before the final whistle due to lack of tension towards the end, so that I could go and beat the rush in the Beehive.

Next, Sunderland at home in the League Cup on Tuesday.

Comment

Cambridge keep up the run of low scoring games with a 1-0 home win over Colchester. Now three goals for and against in the five league matches.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
                      Kept a clean sheet versus Luton. Fuck me.
                      Us too!

Lots of low-scoring games in D4 today. Glad I didn't have to watch any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                        Us too!

Apart from at Swindon, where we managed to play them off the park. Could have had six or seven.

Comment

Us too!

Was a good game, and City looked more likely to win it. But for an excellent save at point blank range from Arnold's shot, we would have. Both good defences on show, though City almost fucked that up by trying to play out from the back. Woodyard remains the best player at Sincil Bank, absolute class all afternoon. Am now going to Stevenage and Forest Green in the hope we get the results we deserve.

Comment

It appears Gary Johnson has finally accepted that it's his fault we're bottom of the Football League. Not sure why it's taken him so long to come to this conclusion. It's no-one else's fault that we started the season with so few players we could only put 4 subs on the bench (which included kids) and still don't have a right back.

A win is needed at Yeovil on Saturday, if only to get us out of this rut. We're performing ok, but we can't seem to do so for 90 minutes.

Comment

After Coventry won their first two games of the season, I eagerly spunked $140 for a season pass on iFollow. I looked forward to seeing us sweep aside all-comers and piss the division.

This was followed by two losses and a draw, during which we failed to score a goal...

Today, I finally saw us score (and win). The 1-0 over Port Vale was laboured, though. Allegedly, we have one of the best squads in the league, but look alarmingly toothless going forward.

Mixed feelings about iFollow. As Imp said, there is no commentary and no replays, so it's easy to miss things. Then again, it's nice to be able to watch the Sky Blues for the first time in 16 years (I left the UK in 2001 - same year we got relegated from the Premier League). I'll persevere.

Comment

No goals for either Newport or Port Vale yesterday though at least County kept a clean sheet.

Port Vale are rumoured to have said there'll be no management changes until after game ten, which is a pity as whoever Michael Brown's successor is will have even more to do by then.

Comment

Caught Lincoln's unlikely second half comeback at Stevenage on iFollow, which looks a lot better now that I've got an iPad (which I actually got to ease refereeing and coaching bureaucracy - 90% of German amateur club computers date from circa 1996). I did switch on the 'away' commentary, but it was so inane and repetitive that I cut it again and opted for the crowd noise.

Steve 'Thommo' Thompson (former centre back legend of Colin Murphy's early 80s dream team and current Radio Lincs. co-commentator) tweeted that the turnaround was nothing to do with tactics and all to do with passion, heart blah blah. In fact it was everything to do with tactics. When Green got sent off at 1-0 down, Cowley took out Rhead and, down to 10 men, Lincoln actually started to play football instead of lumping it up to the front men.

Comment

Watching Forest Green v Lincoln in the comfort of my office - looks like a pig of a night, and the football's largely matching the weather. 0-0 and it will probably stay that way.

Comment

The hi-tech iFollow operation sees the cameraman taking a dirty rag to the camera lens every time there's a break. When the ball's actually in play, there's a change in possession approximately every 0.2 seconds.

Comment

Wahay, Lincoln score, backed by the wind and a massive hoof up field. The iFollow sound is five seconds behind the picture, so everyone starts cheering five seconds too late. Really seems to be a cheapskate operation - the ref blows for a free kick to be taken but you think it's for an infringement because the sound of the whistle comes so long after the kick is taken.

Comment

Harry Anderson's goal was the only shot on target I saw all night. Massive argy-bargy after the final whistle, everyone and their handbag weighing in. An utterly utterly shite game of football, although encouragingly the few times that anyone attempted to piece together a passing move it was Lincoln.

Comment

Jinxy gloat-post, jinxy gloat-post, hey hey, jinxy gloat-post.

(tune: na na hey goodbye ...)

Comment

Harry Anderson's goal was the only shot on target I saw all night. Massive argy-bargy after the final whistle, everyone and their handbag weighing in. An utterly utterly shite game of football, although encouragingly the few times that anyone attempted to piece together a passing move it was Lincoln.
                                              We did get it down a few times, and when we do we play nice triangles and get behind defences especially if Habergham gets up from left back (he's only just come back from injury so perhaps not stretching himself). We started brightly and made their keeper work in the first minute. Farman made one stop in the second half but I think we shaded the game tbh. The weather was a great leveller. FGR complain about Rhead and that we're a team of 6ft monsters, but they were playing route one just as much as we were.

Like the cameraman, I was wiping my specs every two minutes.

Comment

There is literally nothing likeable about FGR. I'm sure I've read they're now putting away fans on the open terrace alongside the pitch this season, despite the fact that one of the covered terraces behind the goal has hardly any fans in it (this used to be the away terrace). I will probably go to the game in November, because it's the closest thing we have to a derby (it is definitely not a derby though), but I can already tell I'm going to despise the trip.

As for Cheltenham, we just need a goal. We're playing well in the most part, but shit ourselves the moment we get into the final third. Johnson has also started playing silly buggers in an attempt to get a goal, including taking two strikers off at half-time and moving a cm up front. Yep, that will get us a goal....

Comment

Yes, the open terrace was where we were in the pissing rain and cold wind. At most 60 of their fans were undercover in the old away end. Read the official FGR forum and in fairness, a few of their fans were asking why the covered terrace wasn't available to away fans on the night.

Comment

Michael Brown's win record since becoming Port Vale manager is now an interesting 5 from 34. Defeat v Forest Green this weekend will, I believe, spell the end for him.

Former manager Brian Horton is rumoured to be waiting in the wings. And if he doesn't fancy it perhaps former manager Mickey Adams might fancy a third crack.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X