No announcement yet.

Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andreu was great for 3/4 of last season for Dundee Utd. Faded a little later on, maybe defenders got wiser to him (playing us 4 times, of course).

Sorry to hear him suffer that kind of injury, and good luck to Cov without him.

Comment

"The North Stand is for FGR fans. We have sympathy with away fans when the weather is bad and we’re looking to add a roof to the West Stand next season. In the meantime, away fans need to be prepared for inclement conditions.”

In here

Comment

What cretinous plonkers must be running FGR. So if there'd been golfball-sized hailstones falling, the Crewe fans would just have had to suck it up. "Sorry, you should have brought your own portable protective construction."

Comment

One cretinous plonker in Dale Vince.

He doesn't give a crap - basically Bristol Rovers fans outnumbered FGR fans in the Playoff semi at The New Lawn in 14/15 and he vowed that would never happen again. The following season he gave Cheltenham just over 900 tickets, with 30 seats (in a block that easily holds over 100). This meant that we had vulnerable people standing in the bit behind the goal, one of whom (a lady who appeared to be in her 70s) got caught up in the celebrations of one of our goals and was knocked to the ground. It was at this point, the stewards decided she should probably have a seat in the practically empty block beside the then away end.

Not only this, but due to us selling out the away end in stupidly quick time, this led to Cheltenham fans wishing to buy tickets in the away ends - which also led to a questionnaire being put on the turnstiles asking questions like who their manager is, and when were they promoted to the Conference (most of their newcomer fans wouldn't have had a clue themselves).

This season, to make sure away fans can't create an atmosphere, he's put them on the open terrace and claimed the North Stand is for home fans - there are usually only around 30 or so fans in the North Stand and, perhaps cynically of me, I'm sure they are just employees of the owner's company who are "obliged" to attend matches. I know full well that they are "obliged" to attend as my sister worked in HR for them and told me as such.

What was once a fantastic club, massively over-achieving by playing in the Conference, has become an advertisement for Dale Vince's company. They're less romantic than Rushden and Diamonds and Fleetwood Town, and that is saying something.

Comment

3 wins on the bounce for Town, after a shambolic and frankly embarrassing fans forum from a board perspective (although they clearly don't see it that way), is quite some going. Today we appointed an official club SLO even though the club had appointed one via the Trust during the summer. So now we have two...

Comment

Matt Rhead extends at Lincoln until 2019. Local pie merchants announce expansion plans. I think he's my favourite Lincoln player since Percy Freeman.

Comment

Newport’s Sean Rigg has developed something of a reputation for unlocking games. He combines well with left-back Butler, can cross a ball, and has an eye for an incisive pass.

He also has a clause in his contract whereby one more appearance will trigger a year’s contract extension.

Without knowing the terms of this extra year it’s difficult to understand why he’s not wanted next season when he’s been of such value to the side so far this season. Seems a pointless clause to stick in a contract.

Comment

Barnet are fucking shit. That's all you need to know. If we stay up this year it will be down to Martin Allen, who I am sure will be drafted in next month for his fifth spell....

Comment

Went to the Chesterfield game a few weeks ago and must say that they looked very poor. I've a soft spot for Barnet (for no particular reason) and so was going to describe them as "endearingly inept" but I'd guess if you're a fan then "mindblowingly infuriatingly appalling" would have been closer to the truth that day...

Comment

Compared to this time last year it has been mostly doom and gloom around Carlisle. There is some dispute over the extent of our playing budget compared to the rest of the division but the squad seems fairly threadbare. We don't have a permanent goalie of our own, and a sizeable slice of the budget is going to two injured players, neither of which will play again this season but we can't afford to cover replacements. We chop and change tactically, and play players out of position. We tend to be too conservative, and have lined up 4-5-1 at home against teams in the relegation zone. Crowds are down, and the mood is just resigned pessimism.

And yet we're 12th, only four points off the play off positions. It doesn't feel like a play off challenging season, but now it is. I think it says more about the rest of the division than it does about our own abilities, the quality just seems down on previous years.

Comment

In a spacious, spartan and spookily deserted hotel on the top of a hill in the Saxony countryside on a cold, dark and very windy night (we were the only guests, and the staff left as soon as we arrived late afternoon - "Here's the front door key. If you need anything, call us and we'll come back") I watched the second half of Lincoln v Stevenage on iFollow. Two lovely goals, and some very neat football spiked with dogged fourth-tier action at the back. I definitely don't think we're going back down and am cautiously optimistic that we will make the playoffs. Key matches in January - Luton, Notts County and Mansfield.

Comment

Wow. Jeff's just said that Crawley's game today was their 300th league game. That's gone quickly.

Comment

I risked a fiver on Port Vale beating Luton. But FOUR-NIL? Sheesh.

Comment

I felt a degree of sympathy for the Exeter fans who were exposed to the elements at Newport. The wind blew fiercely into their faces throughout, leading them to regale us with a rendition of “Stand Up If You’re Freezing Cold” which eventually morphed, when the sleet started, into “Stand Up If You’re Cold and Wet”.

They brought an impressive 499 out of a total attendance of 3300.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Wow. Jeff's just said that Crawley's game today was their 300th league game. That's gone quickly.
                                Not if you've watched any of them, it hasn't...

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                  "The North Stand is for FGR fans. We have sympathy with away fans when the weather is bad and we’re looking to add a roof to the West Stand next season. In the meantime, away fans need to be prepared for inclement conditions.”

In here
                                  We had to put up with that too in September when Lincoln went there. Pissed down with rain, freezing temperatures. Despite their lowly gates, they've handed both stands behind the goals to home fans. I think the Lincoln fans outnumbered those FGR fans on what used to be the away terrace. Anyway, fucking delighted we beat them again last weekend, and pissed myself laughing at both Coopers getting sent off on NYD.

Comment

Went yesterday to Luton v Lincoln. Absolutely belter of a match for the neutral. Great atmosphere, two sendings off in the first half hour. Twice City took the lead, twice Luton pegged them back. Despite Lincoln being the better side for most of the second half, Luton took their chances. Best team i've seen in League Two this season and should walk the title. I absolutely loathe Kenilworth Road, and I think we've been tonked every time i've been there. Fortunately, Stech was having a mare in goal for the first 25 minutes, letting Bostwick's free kick go under him, and then seemingly throwing Matt Green's effort into the net to make it 2-1.
                                    Ref was very quick to send off the Luton captain after 3 minutes for apparently throwing an elbow or fist at Matt Rhead. After that, I think the ref got a little carried away in the excitement and booked every challenge. Even playing with ten men against eleven though, Luton were superior. Good passing, intense pressure and City just couldn't retain possession. Not sure the players knew what to do, a goal and man up, and Town deserved their equaliser.
                                    Whilst Harry Anderson's first yellow might be debatable, his second was late and a little high. Definitely a booking and have seen those given as straight reds. Not sure what Danny Cowley saw judging by his comments post match. Anderson was nowhere near the ball and the ref was right to send him off.
                                    Second half was much better from City, Rhead was taken off cos the ref had warned him that one more foul (or word out of his mouth) and he'd receive another yellow. Had several decent efforts including Matt Green hitting the post. Really put the home team under pressure up top, but just didn't make the most of our chances. When Luton got their third with 20 minutes left, you could sense that the Lincoln players were running on empty. Perhaps DC could have swapped some players more over the Xmas period, but we don't have the squad. Certainly some of our key players weren't at their best, and we missed Neil Eardley terribly.
                                    We've signed Danny Rowe on loan from Ipswich today (we love wingers) and been linked with a couple more players. Need someone to come in and cover for Sean Raggett (now back to Norwich City), and that is going to take some doing. Big transfer window as usual, and massive game home to Notts County coming up. Pretty glad we're out of the FA Cup this season, cos the players needs to recuperate.

Comment

Rumours abound of Martin Allen returning to Barnet for a fifth spell. Opinion is divided on whether we should be a dog-awful League side (Allen in) or a title-challenging Conference side (Allen not in) at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                        And yet we're 12th, only four points off the play off positions. It doesn't feel like a play off challenging season, but now it is. I think it says more about the rest of the division than it does about our own abilities, the quality just seems down on previous years.
                                        There is no consistency from anybody, and that's reflected in so many teams being separated by just a few points. There have been a couple of times watching Coventry recently when I've thought, "If we win this, we're up to third... but lose, and we could fall as low as 10th."

Sky Blues are doing well at the moment, adapting to long-term injuries and securing 12 from a possible 15 points over Christmas and New Year. Marc McNulty is scoring goals, and two or three academy players have stepped up and done a good job.

Stoke in the FA Cup in Saturday. I imagine Hughes will get sacked if they don't thrash us.

Comment

An addendum: Coventry have announced the loan signing of Brighton's Jordan Drew-Maguire, a winger who spent the first half of the season at Lincoln. Any Lincoln fans have an opinion? Consensus seems to be that he's skillful yet lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Limey View Post
                                            An addendum: Coventry have announced the loan signing of Brighton's Jordan Drew-Maguire, a winger who spent the first half of the season at Lincoln. Any Lincoln fans have an opinion? Consensus seems to be that he's skillful yet lightweight.
                                            I saw him a few times when he was on loan at Worthing a season or two ago and that description was entirely accurate then - very James Ward-Prowse-lite.

Comment

Don't think I saw him play. Scored a couple in the Checkatrade Trophy but then got injured and returned to Brighton. Was never seen at the Bank again. Pity it hasn't worked out, was impressed with him last season at Dagenham.

Comment

Rob Dickie's off on loan now to Oxford United, rather than staying a further 6 months with Lincoln. Quite annoying, as he's been decent for us and we are now two centre backs short. No idea whether Callum Howe will be recalled from Eastleigh, or whether Bostwick will move from midfield to defence. I do hope not, as he's been exceptional since joining. Read rumour that Ollie Palmer wishes to leave too, so we'll need another striker if that's true. I always tend to get a bit worried about our transfer activity, or lack of it. I should really have more trust in the management by now.

Comment

Dickie's move to Oxford is on a permanent basis. We had him for a season and a half from 2015 on loan from Reading.

In our Conference winning season, he was fantastic, but found the step up to the Football League with us a bit of a challenge (in fairness this was probably because the whole club struggled with the step-up).

As for ourselves, we've signed Manny Onariase on loan from Rotherham, we had him on loan from Brentford last season and he's confirmed that the only reason he didn't sign permanently in the summer was because he couldn't turn down a League 1 team. We've also let 3 players go out, despite being bare bones already. Alex Davey has signed for Boreham Wood at the end of his short-term deal, Dan O'Shaughnessy has returned to Finland with HJK Helsinki and, most annoyingly of all, Dan Holman has been sent on loan to Orient whilst his contract runs down.

I'm gutted for Dan because he was one of the main reasons we were promoted in 2016 because of his goals in the second half of that season. Our first season back he picked up a niggly injury and didn't perform. This massively effected his confidence. This season he appears to have been frozen out and, when we have been screaming out for a goalscorer, he hasn't been given a single opportunity. He'll score goals for Orient and this decision will come back to bite us on the ass, I have no doubt about that.

Comment

Stoke in the FA Cup in Saturday. I imagine Hughes will get sacked if they don't thrash us.
                                                    Ha ha ha!

Only league games are streamed on iFollow, so I had to make do with the radio commentary for this one. Listening to it was enjoyable for about 75 minutes. At that point, "LOL, we're beating them!" becomes, "Holy shit, we might actually win," and the whole experience gets far more stressful. Especially as Stoke squandered a fuckton of chances in the last 10 minutes.

Man United/City away in the next round, please.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X