No announcement yet.

Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely delighted for Stanley. They have that small club ethic that I used to love about Bury and that it's brilliant to be a part of.

Comment

Really chuffed for Accrington. Absolutely mustard the two previous seasons down at Home Park. Andy Holt will have to go large now.

Comment

So pleased for Accrington. I went to see them play during 2006 in their first season back up and thought they would do well to last two or three seasons. John Coleman has done a brilliant job over the years and glad they have made it after they blew it a couple of years ago.

Comment

D4 All-Stars:

Stech (Luton)

Grimmer (Coventry)
          Sheehan (Luton)
          Hughes (Accrington)
          Potts (Luton)

Grant (Notts County)
          Berry (Luton)
          McConville (Accrington)

Akinfenwa (Wycombe)
          Kee (Accrington)
          Hylton (Luton)

Comment

It has really been a once in a generation season at Accrington, especially since Christmas. I went to Carlisle on Boxing Day and lost 3-1 and to be honest we got off lightly. On the way back I decided to give the Grimsby Town away match a steer. they had already beaten us at our place and I couldn't fancy facing another misery away day. One supporter gave me a bit of a lecture about sticking with the team through thick and thin etc etc. I ignored him. We won 3-0. A few days later we were beating Morecambe 1-0 when the match was abandoned in a downpour.
            But since then it has been an amazing run, Of 19 matches we have won 16 and drawn 2. That has carried us to the top of the league and now promotion. In any run of games, there will be some where we have been good and some where we have had to dig in but a succession of 1-0s has told a story of a team that defends strongly and takes a chance when it comes.
            Especially noteworthy (to me) has been a defender on loan from Burnley, Jimmy Dunne who has played brilliantly and given us some pace and presence to go along side Mark Hughes (not that one!) tactical nous and positional sense.
            Big party last night after the final whistle. £1 a pint for an hour after a win, then £2 a pint as long as the bar is open. I missed the last bus by some time but boy was it worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
              So pleased for Accrington. I went to see them play during 2006 in their first season back up and thought they would do well to last two or three seasons. John Coleman has done a brilliant job over the years and glad they have made it after they blew it a couple of years ago.
              We don't talk about 2016 any more....
              That was a mad end of season. We did everything but score against Stevenage while Dagenham and Redbridge (already relegated) put up a hell of a fight against Bristol Rovers. In the end, well done to rovers but it just kind of sums up League 2 where the worst teams can always beat the best teams.

Comment

Wimbledon beating Stanley in the play-off semi-finals that season after sneaking in to seventh place ten points behind them was grand larceny.

Glad to see them go up and in style, maybe it has even cheered up arch moaning sourpuss John Coleman. I just hope we’re still in D3 to welcome them next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                  An excellent decision by our former chairman to get rid of him from Southport a few years back. Good chance another of our cast offs, Paul Cook, will take Wigan up from League One.

Comment

Accrington's help is appreciated, but Exeter's customary failure to take advantage at home means we're odds on for the play-offs.

Chesterfield's double drop will get less attention than Sunderland's but it's really a much bigger deal. Nearly a century in the league, over.

Comment

Seven points from nine for Barnet. Four points from safety. Two games left; the last one at home to Chesterfield may be a dead rubber for both clubs unless Cambridge beat Morecambe with their game in hand and then we best Morecambe at their place, meaning a win agains Chesterfield and a draw or defeat for the Shrimpers at Coventry would send them down. I know I'm clutching at straws but a month ago there was no hope at all.

Comment

Ahead of Saturday's game Newport's manager was quoted as saying how much he hoped Barnet would stay in the league and how much he respected their manager, but, ahem, he'd be pushing his team to secure the three points.

I see Barnet as league underdogs, constantly battling the odds, and I love an underdog, me. I've everything crossed you prevail.

Comment

Coventry v Lincoln on Tuesday night. Somewhat important. But I've got tickets for Nils Frahm and, at this stage of the season, I'd rather chill out in a concert hall than sweat over an iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                            Ahead of Saturday's game Newport's manager was quoted as saying how much he hoped Barnet would stay in the league and how much he respected their manager, but, ahem, he'd be pushing his team to secure the three points.

I see Barnet as league underdogs, constantly battling the odds, and I love an underdog, me. I've everything crossed you prevail.
                            I'm not accusing Gary Johnson or our board of anything, but having watched our performance against Forest Green last week, and with Johnson saying afterwards he wanted them to stay up anyway, you'd be forgiven for thinking we gave them the win. Especially as they bring so many fans (780 or so, so not really) for our coffers.

Comment

Typical Newport. The one game I wouldn’t have minded us dropping points in and they miraculously end Accrington's 15 match unbeaten run.

Comment

Wow, well that was definitely worth the 10 hour round trip to see. Outstanding performance just when we needed one, and a magnificent victory. Matt Rhead at his best last night, scoring a brilliant half volley in the first minute (his first goal in about 1000 minutes). Despite being very comfortable and looking like taking the game to Cov, we conceded a dreadful goal following from one of our own corners (how typically City). Ollie Palmer, making a rare start then put us back in front before we conceded another terrible goal a minute later, before he made it 3-2 before half time.
                                Second half was perfect Cowleyball. Defend the lead for 15-20 minutes, then hit them on the counter attack. More brilliant vision from Rhead to pick out Lee Frecklington. Could have been more goals at either end before the ref started out dishing out yellow cards for fun.
                                Might have been a different story if Coventry had scored first, undoubtedly a fine attacking side, but we battered them at the back. Palmer, Rhead and Green were excellent up front, Woodyard was as good as i've seen him this season and Wilson looked comfortable stepping in at left back.
                                Oh, and absolutely magnificent atmosphere as expected. Over 3,000 visitors on a Tuesday night isn't too shabby.
                                As Stanley need a point to be champions, perhaps we can make a gentleman's agreement before the game and play for a point each on Saturday, though mathematically we could still take third spot.

Edit: Oh, and the pies at the Ricoh are great. Could actually make out what I was eating.
                                Last edited by RobW; 25-04-2018, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
                                  Seven points from nine for Barnet. Four points from safety. Two games left; the last one at home to Chesterfield may be a dead rubber for both clubs unless Cambridge beat Morecambe with their game in hand and then we best Morecambe at their place, meaning a win agains Chesterfield and a draw or defeat for the Shrimpers at Coventry would send them down. I know I'm clutching at straws but a month ago there was no hope at all.
                                  You seem to be discounting Grimsby's ability to monumentally fuck things up on the last day of the season. Can't see us getting ote against Notts Co.

Comment

Morecambe's draw Tuesday means that they and Grimsby are five points away with six to play. We have to beat Morecambe to retain any hope going into our last game. Watch us royally fuck this one up.

Comment

Two to play, six points to play for.

Comment

I'm convinced that trancing out to Nils Frahm during the Coventry v Lincoln game helped transfer the necessary vibes across land and water that allowed us to triumph. We'd never have played that well if I'd been watching. You're welcome, lads.

Comment

Yesssssssssssss!

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                                            Yesssssssssssss!
                                            m well done Accrington. Also goodbye to Keith Curle. Who next for us I wonder?

Comment

Great, another afternoon at the Bank next weekend full of anxiety and checking what the Scabs are doing. By all accounts it sounds like City didn't bother turning up at Stanley on Sunday until the last half hour. They better show more intensity from the first whistle against Yeovil otherwise it's going to be a hellish game. Still, we've had plenty of moments like this over the last 2 years.

Comment

I had money on Lincoln to go up at start of season (and doubled with Huddersfield to stay up, not too confident there...) so will be mentally kicking every ball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Inner Light View Post
                                                  m well done Accrington. Also goodbye to Keith Curle. Who next for us I wonder?
                                                  Michael Bridges seems to be the people's choice but not sure how realistic it is. I would have asked his mate Chris Lumsdon (who is banging the drum for him on the message board) when I was parked next to him at Asda yesterday, but he was on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                    Michael Bridges seems to be the people's choice but not sure how realistic it is. I would have asked his mate Chris Lumsdon (who is banging the drum for him on the message board) when I was parked next to him at Asda yesterday, but he was on the phone.
                                                    would Bridges take it? Thought Macdonald seemed favourite to come back. I guess whoever comes in will have questions over finances and direction of club seem to be treading water currently

Comment

Working...
                                                    X