No announcement yet.

Sent to Coventry: Division 4 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try one of their pies. They looked immense (I ate at the pub down the road, sigh).

Comment

Finally ... (sorry HORN, but not sorry, we were getting desperate. Tired of the pretty with no points).

Comment

Port Vale yet to win in 2018, though they apparently gave it a go last night, for a change.

Well done, Exeter.

Comment

Adebayo Akinfenwa now has 18 goals and 13 assists for the season, the former equaling his best ever tally for a campaign. Gawd I miss him, hard not to wonder how Wimbledon might have done if they’d kept hold of him.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2018, 23:14.

Comment

Port Vale’s fans had an opportunity last night to fire questions at club owner Norman Smurthwaite when he attended a forum.

Those who pay more attention than me claimed that everything that came out of his mouth last night contradicted his previous ramblings, though ironically he accused some lifelong Vale fans of lying.

The club are according to him losing £160K a month. It’s a mind-boggling sum to those who’ve had to endure this ramshackle (undeniably awful) set of players go from League 1 play-off hopefuls to Conference-bound inside two years.

Comment

Don Rogers, Diana Dors, Ossie Ardiles, Big Dave's Gusset, Melinda Messenger, your boys took ...

Comment

I was unable to attend the Newport game but my mate texted me updates.

15:26 “Crewe are awful”.

followed inevitably by

15:28 “1-0 to Crewe”.

Since drawing Spurs in the cup in January Newport have managed just one win (v Yeovil). The less said about Port Vale’s 2018 form the better.

Comment

Have to say I was so disappointed by the quality of the pies at Morecambe. Mine was just pastry and potato - whereas my mate seemed to have all the meat. I might write and complain.

Game was alright for a 0-0. For the first 30 minutes or so, City played some of the best football i've seen them manage this season, including a beautifully worked free kick that should have resulted in a tap in. Morecambe were just happy to get a point and slowed the game down terribly (the ref kicked off at 14.58, I don't know if he had a Stereophonics gig to go to afterwards). Despite all our pressure, we only managed 2 shots on target and missed some very presentable chances. Morecambe hit the woodwork twice late on. I think City deserved a win, but Morecambe have of late had some very good results. If County and Mansfield continue their dismal form, we may benefit. Huge game against Exeter on Friday and some very difficult away games to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Adebayo Akinfenwa now has 18 goals and 13 assists for the season, the former equaling his best ever tally for a campaign. Gawd I miss him, hard not to wonder how Wimbledon might have done if they’d kept hold of him.
                    What a picture this is. The faces make it.
                    https://twitter.com/CambridgeUtdFC/s...49460401356800
                    https://twitter.com/CambridgeUtdFC/status/973149460401356800

Comment

Magnificent weekend for Lincoln, back to back wins at home to Exeter and away at Carlisle. The match on Good Friday was absolutely brilliant for the neutral. Two good sides, plenty of chances, some questionable defending and refereeing, with late drama to boot. Reminiscent of Easter Weekend last year. Some results going Lincoln's way too yesterday.
                      I can now relax for the rest of the week, shake this horrible cold and look forward to Wembley on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                        Magnificent weekend for Lincoln, back to back wins at home to Exeter and away at Carlisle. The match on Good Friday was absolutely brilliant for the neutral. Two good sides, plenty of chances, some questionable defending and refereeing, with late drama to boot. Reminiscent of Easter Weekend last year. Some results going Lincoln's way too yesterday.
                        I can now relax for the rest of the week, shake this horrible cold and look forward to Wembley on Sunday.
                        The match on Easter Monday also featured some questionable refereeing - it wasn't quite as bad as our lot are making out on the message boards and Facebook, but frustrating to watch nonetheless. We only proved what we've known for a while, that we're not good enough to compete with top half teams, and yesterday's result effectively ended our season. We already had Port Vale away booked, and now we can enjoy it knowing that (providing Port Vale remain safe) the only tension will be which of our many connections on the way there and back we'll manage to f*** up.

Comment

After an abject performance at Stevenage, two days after a superb one at home to Crewe, I officially declare the shutters closed on this season. Back to the Conference we go with barely a whimper.

Comment

Zero wins in 20, 6 points from the last 60 available. Quite simply outstanding Town.

Comment

What has happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                What has happened?
                                We reappointed Russell Slade and allowed him to bring the usual mix of journeyman and old farts he prefers wherever he goes and then decided to let him have the January transfer window as well before sacking him.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                                  We reappointed Russell Slade and allowed him to bring the usual mix of journeyman and old farts he prefers wherever he goes and then decided to let him have the January transfer window as well before sacking him.
                                  Russell Slade is fondly remembered* at Coventry.

Someone made the point up thread that the Sky Blues haven't finished in the top six of any division in almost 50 years, which is true. I'd like to think that this entire season is an elaborate effort to maintain that proud tradition by going up via the playoffs after finishing seventh. That's the only rational explanation I can come up with for some of the stuff I've seen this year. This week is a case in point: a seven-game unbeaten run coming to an end with a 6-2 home defeat against Yeovil. The opening half, in particular, reminded me of one of those Sunday League games when half the team has been on the piss the night before and can barely stand up come kickoff.

(* - Not fondly at all.)

Comment

Barnet continuing to put fans through the wringer with faint hopes of survival, 1-0 home win vs Forest Green which leaves us four points from safety with four games to play. Grimsby away this weekend is absolutely huge now. Interesting to see that we play Chesterfield in our last game whilst Grimsby have Forest Green. May be done and dusted by then but could make for a very intriguing final day.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
                                      Barnet continuing to put fans through the wringer with faint hopes of survival, 1-0 home win vs Forest Green which leaves us four points from safety with four games to play. Grimsby away this weekend is absolutely huge now. Interesting to see that we play Chesterfield in our last game whilst Grimsby have Forest Green. May be done and dusted by then but could make for a very intriguing final day.
                                      Martin Allen is the guest at our Beesotted end of season do the night before that Chesterfield game. I hope you’re still in with a chance by then but we’ll try to make sure he doesn’t drink as much as the rest of us.

Comment

It's the big Gloucestershire derby today between the best team in Gloucestershire over each of the last 34 years and the team that are a marketing tool for green energy.

Sadly been dubbed "El Glosico" by the numpties in the media and it seems to be sticking, annoyingly. The fact that FGR aren't even our traditional rivals and mean little to 90% of Cheltenham fans (we still all hate Gloucester much more, albeit with a grudging respect for their supporters) seems to be missed completely from the buildup to this game.

A win for the Robins today could see FGR to within a point of the relegation and that would be fantastic - the sooner they go back where the come from and Dale Vince stops bankrolling them the better.

It'll be a draw though, because that's how our results always go against them.

Comment

The downside of driving to an away match on your own is that you can't really have a pint, and there's precious little to do in places like Morecambe except go into the ground early, buy a pie and read the programme - so that's what I did yesterday.

I'd rate the pie about 8/10, better than the ubiquitous Hollands, but not as nice as some I've had in Lancashire.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                                            The downside of driving to an away match on your own is that you can't really have a pint, and there's precious little to do in places like Morecambe except go into the ground early, buy a pie and read the programme - so that's what I did yesterday.

I'd rate the pie about 8/10, better than the ubiquitous Hollands, but not as nice as some I've had in Lancashire.

Didn't they win some culinary award for same, or at least get voted "Best in the League"?

Comment

Pie I had at Morecambe was awful. No meat whatsoever. Pleased to report that the only good thing about going to Port Vale on Saturday was the quality of the pie on offer. Performance and the result was shite.

Comment

Accrington have done it, then. Some achievement, hope they can seal the title too.

Comment

Preferably by thrashing Wycombe next, 13-0 will do.

Comment

Chesterfield look to be unlikely to mount much of a challenge to sneak the coveted 23rd spot from Barnet after another defeat last night.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X