File under Fylde - Division 3 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    Yes, about that... what the hell is going on with Shrewsbury?

I was banking that the wheels have got to come off fairly spectacularly fairly soon, but no dice.
    Nothing and they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      By the way, are you going to the New York next week?
      Dad's persuaded me, so I'll be there on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Stern test for Shrewsbury on Saturday. I'm in the town but am looking after niece and nephew. Have opted for Cars 3 rather than the match.

Comment

Strange things are afoot at Boundary Park.

We're in talks with a third party to take over the club. It's either a Middle East-based agent named Abdallah Lemsagam or he's acting as a go-between for another party. Has had dealings with Zahavi and others in the past.

In the meantime there's been an entirely coincidental flood of signings from the Continent - to date:

• Johny Placide, Haitian international goalkeeper formerly with Le Havre, Reims and Guingamp
          • Gyamfi Kyeremeh, Belgian winger formerly with Eintracht Braunschweig II (fourth tier of German football)
          • Abdelhakim Omrani, French/Algerian midfielder formerly with Le Mans, Nimes and Sedan
          • Gevaro Nepomuceno, Curaçaoan international winger formerly with Den Bosch, Fortuna Sittard, Petrolul Ploesti and Maritimo
          • And most excitingly of all, Queensy Menig, a Dutch U21 winger who moved from Ajax to Nantes last week and was immediately loaned to us to "agrarianise" him with exposure to a more, er, physical league

There's rumours of another three or four to come as well. And that manager John Sheridan hasn't had a say in any of these, but that there's been some kind of internal wrangle as he wanted his own players. Seemed to get them, too - on deadline day we picked up Jack (not John) Ruddy from Wolves, Kean Bryan from Manchester City, and Eoin Doyle from Preston, all on loan.

We've now a squad of 30, including 13 first team midfielders, no idea who's picking the team, and a possible takeover. All against the background of a dismal, relegation form start to the season.

Interesting times. I'm very wary about the nature of the new investment and involvement of agents, but after 20 years of mediocrity, bang-average British players and flirting with relegation, I'm okay with gambling for a bit of excitement for a season or two. I may revisit this view in a few months.

Comment

Well, flooding the team with "talent" from overseas certainly helped get Port Vale out of this division last season.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Woohooo. Just 34 points off safety now.

Comment

Wimbledon managed to lose what looks like an early-season relegation six-pointer to Portsmouth today. Two completely appalling sides but The Dons gave away two goals because their regular mistakes were punished while Pompey's equally frequent ones weren't.

Not a sniff of a goal again and no shot on target for the home side illustrating how toothless they've been since around March. They're still playing as if they have a 6 foot plus target man up front too, despite Tom Elliot signing for Millwall in the summer and not being replaced.

Though I'm not sure how crucial it was for the result, Portsmouth look like a filthy, cynical side. Wimbledon had one player stretchered off and Paul Robinson was withdrawn with suspected concussion after receiving both an elbow and boot to the head in separate incidents which had been preceded by a challenge that left him in a heap and was borderline red. This left them with ten men as all subs had been used.

The referee Kevin Johnson was completely inept and culpable for the undercurrent of violence that was allowed to permeate the game, a dreadful incompetent who really shouldn't be operating at League level.

Tuesday's home game against one-from-bottom Gillingham looks like a must win but I'm really worried about this season already.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-09-2017, 18:25.

Comment

That ref sounds about par for this division tbh

Comment

The league is upside down.

Comment

what the hell is going on with Shrewsbury?
                        Just 31 points off safety now.

Comment

Give it a few weeks and other teams will start taking Shrewsbury seriously and look to avoid defeat against them rather than mentally banking the 3 points before the game.

Scunny lost their first league game tonight, 0-1 at home to Blackburn.

Comment

Three consecutive home defeats and each time we've finished with ten men. That's relegation form right there.

Comment

The league is still upside down.

Comment

Nick, did you go? Did you see the ball-boy incident?

Comment

Yes and yes, Jason Demetriou decided to push the lad in the chest to move him away from the ball. Ref had a good view.

In these modern times that's assault I guess, I dunno.

Comment

Northampton Town loan: Arrests in 'missing millions' probe

Comment

what the hell is going on with Shrewsbury?
                                      None of us know. But they are now 5 points clear at the top of the table with 22 points from a possible 24.

Comment

(And are just 28 points off safety)

(Some context. It took Shrewsbury until Christmas last season to accumulate 22 points)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                          Three consecutive home defeats and each time we've finished with ten men. That's relegation form right there.
                                          Make that four and four.

Comment

"We are staying up" was the ironic chant today.

Not there yet mind.

Comment

Scunthorpe beat Portsmouth 2-0, which was to be expected, as Portsmouth haven't won at Scunthorpe since 1963. And haven't won in the league since 1962. (This was their seventh visit in those 54 years, but it's still an interesting stat. Up to a point.)

Comment

Watching the Shrewsbury v Blackburn game yesterday makes me feel it isn't a fluke that Shrewsbury are top. True they had a couple of last ditch tackles and Blackburn had a very good chance but headed it straight at the keeper, but Shrewsbury had a golden chance to make it 2-0 and also hit the bar in the first half. So it was a draw they could have won rather than a point they just scraped.

8,202 attendance. Probably the most I've seen there for a league game. Blackburn filled the away end (thanks chaps).

Comment

Doncaster remembered how to score and win, which was nice.

Anyone know how Shrewsbury are getting on?

Comment

Three fives in five home games. That's not a regular happening...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X