No announcement yet.

File under Fylde - Division 3 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge game tonight at the bottom. Rochdale 0-0 Milton Keynes at HT. It goes without saying we need to win our games in hand to have a chance of staying up, especially so when we're playing fellow strugglers.

Comment

Why did I expect anything more?

Comment

Because you're a sucker for hope? (Like the rest of us)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I'm beginning to loathe Blackburn.
          Well, we still love you. We haven't been able to spend for three seasons and splashing out £1.5m on a new team didn't seem too frivolous, given the £50m we've sold players for in the last five years.

Comment

Well, Blackburn and Wigan drew meaning Shrewsbury are still second, 2 games in hand and five points behind Blackburn and 1point ahead of Wigan having played two games more. I'm hoping Wigan continue their merry cup run and start dropping points in the league from now on. But what I really really really want is for Shrewsbury time beat Walsall because I'm planning to be at that game and I don't think I've ever seen them beat Walsall in several frustrating attempts. After finally seeing them beat Bristol Rovers in Bristol, could I break another bogey team in this mad, mad season? Hopefully.

Comment

One win in ten for Scunny, although the playoffs still in our hands even when everyone has caught up with our 36 games.

Next year's Div 3 with two of Sunderland, Barnsley Hull and Birmingham is starting to seem just as attractive as the Championship. In fact, quite a bit more attractive. Keep it up, lads.

Comment

jwdd27 - what on earth would be attractive about Sunderland or B'ham? <smiley thing>

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                Back-of-envelope sums based on form over last 10 games gives:

1st Rotherham (95 points)
                2nd Shrewsbury (94)
                -----------------------------------
                3rd Wigan (90 GD +100,000)
                4th Blackburn (90, GD +90,000)
                5th Plymouth (81)
                6th Scunthorpe (75)
                7th Gills (75) just missing out on GD, probably.
                8th Brizzle R. (72).
                Putting off thinking about going back to work tomorrow, so a prediction update, also based on points over last 10 games.

1st Blackburn (94 points)
                2nd Shrewsbury (90)
                3rd Wigan (89)
                4th Rotherham (87)
                5th Plymouth (77)
                6th P'boro (70)
                7th/8th Brizzle R/ Charlton (68)
                9th Scunthorpe (67)

Still unscientific nonsense, but does seem to demonstrate how well-timed Blackburn's cash-fuelled surge in form is, while others have faltered slightly/a lot; Salop and Wigan reasonably consistent and too close to call for 2nd/3rd; Millers and Pilgrims still performing well, safe in the playoffs but, reasonably enough, not quite sustaining their ridiculous points accumulations of the first 6 weeks of the N Year; Scunny, despite a great performance at Wigan yesterday, seemingly now in a 4-way battle for 6th.

When I calculated the home and away points separately for the top 3 (last 10 games for each) it makes no real difference to Blackburn, but Wigan leapfrog Shrewsbury. Both have been dropping points at home but Wigan have more away games to play whereas Shrewsbury have more home games left. The deciding factors may be Wigan's cup-run/fixture pile-up and whether Shrewsbury's pitch recovers and whether recent defensive wobbles are really over or only in remission.

Frankly, couldn't be arsed to do it for anyone else (I've not been well you know!), but Posh and Brizzle seem to rely on home form; the former play more of their remaining games away and the latter have to play Blackburn, Rotherham and Wigan consecutively in April. So they'll slip a little, I'd guess. Charlton are consistently average but have a horrible run-in, playing us, Scunthorpe, Blackburn, Rotherham and Plymouth, plus Bristol R and Portsmouth away. Scunthorpe's 2 tougher games (us, Plymouth) are at home where they're slightly better, so probably advantage the Iron for 6th.

With so many of the top six to play each other, most teams have it in their own hands to some extent. In the end, it's still the 3rd Division so you don't have to be good, just reliable.

Prediction:

Promoted: Blackburn, Wigan.
                Playoff Semi-Finals: Shrewsbury 2 - 2 Scunthorpe (Shrewsbury win on pens); Rotherham 3 - 2 Plymouth.
                Playoff Final: Rotherham 2 - 1 Shrewsbury. Fucking again.

Feel free to point out where I've horribly misjudged or misrepresented your club.

Comment

Anyone know the odds on Shrewsbury getting 100 points?

Comment

Anyone know the odds on Shrewsbury getting 100 points?
                    As that would mean us winning 10 of our last 11, I’d say ‘long’ would cover it! I reckon a fiver would return you a weekend away.

What do you know that we don’t?!

Comment

Just being optimistic, Chris.

Comment

Not much changed in the 4 matches played last night, but Rotherham lost.

I thought Wigan were playing last night but apparently not. Their run in is going to be very crowded.

Comment

Bury all but down now. Shame, because as noted further up, League One is going to be cracking next year.

Comment

Looks like we'll still be there...

Comment

Yep, Rotherham look welded into 4th, but their defeat last night turned Rochdale's result into 2 points lost rather than a point gained. But I still think they'll be OK, although they've played fewer games their defence is better than all bar Gillingham and the top 3.

Peterborough now looking good for the Plymouth/Charlton/Bristol Rovers spot.

Comment

Wigan are playing tonight at Bradford City in Grayson's first home match despite being appointed over a month ago. I have no idea what to expect but I am not optimistic and anything other than a win would in all likelihood put the mockers on any last remaining hopes of getting back in the play offs

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                  Yep, Rotherham look welded into 4th, but their defeat last night turned Rochdale's result into 2 points lost rather than a point gained...
                                  Sorry, I don't follow.

Comment

Franchise won, putting them a further two points above Rochdale, who could only draw.

Comment

Ah thanks, I was slightly thrown by the fact that Rochdale's previous game was a win over Rotherham too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                                        Wigan are playing tonight at Bradford City
                                        Ah, OK. Come on Bradford, then

Comment

Personally, I'm still freaked out by all this top 2 nonsense.

Comment

I was driving into work today and where Shrewsbury are in the table suddenly all hit me again as freakishly unreal.

Comment

FFS.

My wife has just invited our prospective in-laws over from Ireland on the weekend of the L1 Playoff Finals and my sister wants to have my mum's 80th on the weekend of one the semi-final legs.

Don't these people ever consult fixture lists?

Bradford had better get their shit together tonight.

Comment

Still 0-0 after 72 minutes. C'mon Bradford!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                                  FFS.

My wife has just invited our prospective in-laws over from Ireland on the weekend of the L1 Playoff Finals and my sister wants to have my mum's 80th on the weekend of one the semi-final legs.

Don't these people ever consult fixture lists?
                                                  You sound like my dad complaining that people have arranged their wedding for a Saturday afternoon when Shrewsbury are playing at home.

Comment

You sound like my dad complaining that people have arranged their wedding for a Saturday afternoon when Shrewsbury are playing at home.
                                                    Well quite. Another example of exactly the kind of thoughtless behaviour that creates unnecessary stress and anxiety.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X