No announcement yet.

Not-so-current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of the SNES, I bought Wario's Woods today. I'm a sucker for puzzle games and this is a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Banana shots man. Then Wien will come through. And is it like Rijkaard Papin and Van B era Milan? I say.
      Managed to reach the final thanks to the softest of all draws (Norrköping, Prague, followed by Galatasaray, Zagreb, and Vilnius in the group stage), only to be trashed by Bucharest 1-3. Before 2017 ends, that trophy will be ours...

Comment

Ach! Never give up, just outside the box, slightly to the left or right of the d markings... then wollop! a precision banana. It will happen. Someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          £60 for a SNES Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island cartridge...

Almost bought it.

Overstayed my welcome in the shop thinking about it.

Not sure I did the right thing.
          I wonder if the new Mini-SNES will change the price of the games available on it.

I've never played YI but looking forward to trying it in September

Comment

Who thought Lemmings on the Game Boy was a good idea, eh? There's £4 I'm not seeing again in a hurry.

Comment

You bought that just now? Why? Or is this just a grudge you've been nursing for 30 years?

Comment

Bought it today and couldn't even 100% the first level, the controls are completely broken. By far the worst version of the game I've ever played... which if you have any idea of just how many ports it received is really saying something!

Comment

I finally bought NiGHTS Into Dreams. If I can't treat myself on my birthday, when can I?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                    Patrick, let another OTFer put your doubts to rest.
                    https://twitter.com/the_itch1980/status/880559387198332928
                    I'm revising a previous post. This birthday present is very exciting!

I had a mega drive back in the day so there's a lot of stuff I've never played on here.

Comment

Loving this. Yoshi's Island the pick of the platformers at the moment, and Mario Kart is of course getting its fair share of play time. One of the great things about the games from this era in retrospect is how they lend themselves to very short spells of play. You can switch it on, play for just five to ten minutes, and you'll feel like you've actually been playing, rather than just 'warming up' or 'catching up'.

Comment

I bought one of the new HD Mega Drive Flashbacks that takes original cartridges and displays them in 720p.

My CRT died (insert sad face emoji here) and my flatscreen really doesn't like 240p through RGB from my original console. I'll have to keep it hooked up though so I can play Mega CD games.

Comment

I've got a load of Megadrive and 32X cartridges upstairs. I should bang them up on eBay really.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Loving this. Yoshi's Island the pick of the platformers at the moment, and Mario Kart is of course getting its fair share of play time. One of the great things about the games from this era in retrospect is how they lend themselves to very short spells of play. You can switch it on, play for just five to ten minutes, and you'll feel like you've actually been playing, rather than just 'warming up' or 'catching up'.
                            I only just found out that Yoshi's Island is on this. Will be buying one now considering the last time I saw a cartridge for sale it was £60!

Comment

Yep, soon to clock up five hours on Yoshi's Island according to the save timer. Interestingly I realised/remembered that I'd also downloaded it on Wii several years ago, and played it using my GameCube controller. But somehow it didn't feel as right as it does with a proper SNES controller.

Comment

Did you ever play the Yoshi's Island DS version btw? That was ace too.

Comment

No. I never had a DS. I tried the N64 or Gamecube one but didn't like it. Can't remember which console it was now.

Comment

Probably the N64, Yoshi's Story:

The Wii and GameCube didn't have a 2D Yoshi game. In fact, now I look at it, it was this N64 one which I downloaded onto the Wii and never really got on with.

So yeah, in summary of Yoshi platformers:

Yoshi's Island - SNES - awesome
                                    Yoshi's Story - N64 - disappointing
                                    Yoshi's Island DS - DS - very good
                                    Yoshi's Woolly World - WiiU/3DS - not played
                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 19-12-2017, 11:34.

Comment

I don't mind Yoshi's Story - it's good to have something relaxing to play for half an hour because of how ridiculously easy it is.

As for my HD MD (as it were)... well, it works nicely most of the time but I have found a few issues:
                                      - Virtua Racing doesn't work (not really a surprise due to the SVP chip).
                                      - Super Street Fighter II boots to a black screen (maybe the fact it's a large capacity cart - 32 meg in old money).
                                      - Sonic & Knuckles has some horrific audio clipping for the SFX (especially when the Flying Battery swoops down at the end of Mushroom Hill Zone).
                                      - Mega Bomberman doesn't have most of the music and the effects play at random and distorted to the point where it sounds like an Atari 2600 game.

Comment

OMG TEH FLYING BATTERY ZONE MUSIC.

Love that tune.

Comment

Mrs Thistle bought me one of the SNES Minis on the sly and gave it to me today.

OMG the games are awesome!

OMG what little SNES skills I had have atrophied!!

A lot of Yoshi's have died!

Comment

Used some Christmas dosh to get a Retron HD to replace my NES.

Comment

GOD I AM SHIT AT SUPER NINTENDO

AGH FUCKING AGH BAD GUYS AGH NO YOSHI JUMP YOU FUCKER NOT THERE NO COME BACK BABY MARIO AGH WANKERS aaaaah fuck I'm dead again...

Comment

Haha. I get that way with SMW; often just run straight into the first enemy and die in about three seconds. Yoshi, though, I've got him fluttering round and wanging eggs like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                                  Managed to reach the final thanks to the softest of all draws (Norrköping, Prague, followed by Galatasaray, Zagreb, and Vilnius in the group stage), only to be trashed by Bucharest 1-3. Before 2017 ends, that trophy will be ours...
                                                  How's the quest going Wouter? Not long left now....

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                    How's the quest going Wouter? Not long left now....
                                                    Life took over. No progress whatsoever. Ain't gonna happen in 2017.

Thanks for checking in though! Gave me a chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X