No announcement yet.

Not-so-current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried Super Metroid. I can survive the levels that are just Samus riding in a lift.

Comment

Did two more Zelda dungeons and got the Master Sword plus beat the wizard to get into the dark world this evening.

Mrs Thistle has overtaken me on Yoshi's Island. I'm stuck in a castle halfway through world 5. I fucking hate the castle levels. I eventually got through the skiing level.

Comment

As part of my voluntary work, on Saturday I will be function testing 24 Amstrad CPCs and 21 ZX Spectrums. How the hell I'm gonna be able to do all that in four hours, fuck knows.

Comment

Mrs Thistle completed Yoshi's Island ages ago and is now going back through the levels to get 100 points on all of them to open up extra levels. Having seen the one extra level she has opened so far, I'm not going to bother. But as I'm very, very slowly progressing through world 6 towards the ultimate showdown with the evil critter who stole baby Luigi and caused Yoshi to embark on his quest, the whole point may be moot. I may never get there.

Comment

Add me to the SNES Mini club - they had one in stock at GAME at RRP, I had a gift card left over from Christmas and a bit on my reward card so it was almost half price!

I'm gonna be watching Hakchi tutorials on YouTube, get me some more games on this thing.

Comment

I managed to successfully complete the hack - over 200 games to choose from now!

Comment

Even with the hacked Mini, I've just spent another £60 on SNES cartridges. I'm fucked, aren't I?

Comment

Replayed Portal 2 recently. Still completely magnificent in just about every way. Everything about it should be taught in game design classes from now until the fiery end of eternity.

Comment

I bought SoulStar for the Mega CD the other day. It also includes a demo disc for... SoulStar. Surely this can't have been deliberate but things were different in 1994.

Comment

Picked up Okami HD for the Switch, as I never did finish it on PS2. It looks stunning.

Comment

It seems this thread is now retro and has become some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

I bought my first load of Super Famicom games today. I've been meaning to get into the import scene a bit more for a while now.

Oh, and some Atari Jaguar stuff because I am a masochist.

Comment

I'd pay good money to be able to play 'Wings' again, an old Amiga 500 game. WWI flying in an arcade style with a story as you progressed through the war. The original always crashed before you got to the end. I found a copy for the PC I used to have but that gave up the ghost too before I completed it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Oh, and some Atari Jaguar stuff because I am a masochist
                            Tempest 2000 rules though.

Comment

It does, that's why I bought it. Just the loose cartridge but £22 was the best deal I'd seen for it in a while. I already had the Saturn port but that has a few issues.

The masochism reference was referring more to the fact that almost every other aspect of Jag ownership is a pain. The expense, the scarcity, owning Kasumi Ninja... that kind of thing.

Comment

is there a market for old Megadrive and X64 games?
                                I've just found a load of them in the loft and I've no use for them.

Comment

There's always a market for retro stuff - just bung it all on ebay and try your luck. You'll almost certainly get more money for it than if you flogged it to Cash Converters or CeX.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                    I'd pay good money to be able to play 'Wings' again, an old Amiga 500 game. WWI flying in an arcade style with a story as you progressed through the war. The original always crashed before you got to the end. I found a copy for the PC I used to have but that gave up the ghost too before I completed it.
                                    I found this on an app for my phone last week. Very close to the original PC game in storyline and gameplay. It's already the best thing I've ever bought for under 2 quid.

Comment

Finally collated my collection into a Google sheet.

Don't know why the formatting is screwed up like that though - I've tried different browsers, safe mode, the Android app and I can't fix it no matter what.

Comment

Performed an IPS screen mod on my Game Boy Advance as an early birthday present to myself - after 19 years, it's nice to have a GBA that I don't have to hold in just the right light. Either that or deal with the hand cramps and washed-out colours of the SP or the "far too small for an adult to use" Micro.

Comment

Got some Sonic hack cartridges:

It'll be a little weird to play these on a real Mega Drive.

Comment

Repeating myself. Age has got the better of me...

Comment

I quite like the idea of the Evercade (https://www.evercade.co.uk/) but I know that retro nostalgia lasts about five minutes with me, and it would end up gathering dust along with my OG Game Boy DS.

Comment

Why was Donkey Kong called Donkey Kong? He wasn't a donkey, was he?

Comment

Shigeru Miyamoto used "donkey" to convey "stubborn" in English; the name Donkey Kong was intended to convey "stubborn ape" to the American audience. When he suggested this name to Nintendo of America, people laughed, but the name stuck.

The trickier question is why does Diddy Kong have a tail?

Comment

So, for Christmas Santa brought me an Evercade EXP, with 18 Capcom games built in, and three carts: Irem Arcade 1, The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 and Codemasters Collection 1.
                                                    So far it is an absolute hoot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X