No announcement yet.

Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given what I went through in hospital earlier this year, some of the latter scenes in RDR2 are a little unsettling...

Everyone else at work, who got to those scenes quicker than me, found it very amusing

Comment

so what are people planning to play for Xmas?

Comment

Overcooked 2.

Comment

My niece is getting a Switch tomorrow for her birthday so I expect a lot of Mario Kart and for that matter Overcooked 2.

Comment

Got in some quality gaming time over the break:

Nintendo Labo: for the kids, amazing. The construction part is really fun and the gameplay, while pretty basic, is ingenious in how it actually works.

The Colonists: About as close to old school Settlers as I've played since Settlers 2.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: This game just never ends. It's probably too long, but it's a pretty remarkable game anyway. Really looking forward to seeing them take this gameplay direction forward in a new (preferably Asian) setting.

Soma: This dropped on PS Plus with the no monsters mod, so I finally got round to playing. Enjoying it a fair bit although it is starting to bash me around the head with its theme.

Earth Defence Force 5: More EDF, but with quite a few quality of life improvements and possibly the best stupid dialogue yet.

Comment

So. New 4K TV arrives on Wednesday and I'm itching to get the PS4 Pro hooked up. The console will be a little way away from the TV, so could anyone recommend a reasonably priced HDMI cable which will support 4K @ 60Hz? Thanks in advance!
              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 14-01-2019, 14:38.

Comment

The OMARS Premium cable seems well-liked, based on reviews rather than experience.

Comment

Thanks, Kev. It seems those are tricky to use in smaller spaces (due to the stiffness of the cable) so I might struggle.

Comment

Oh boy, RDR2 is engrossing. Me and Ms johnr can't stop going to the Wild West, sometimes just to play poker in a bar.

Comment

Unless you're going for a really long distance, just make sure it's certified for 18Gbps.

Comment

Cheers, GY, I'd read that. Wonder if hobbes has recently bought one?

Comment

As GY says, any well reviewed 18gbps hdcp 2.2 cable will do you. HDMI cables are fairly basic.
                          I spent a few quid more to get top notch connectors as mine are behind a false wall so a pain to pull out. If it's easily replaceable spend the least you can to make you happy. Digital siglans either work or don't work.

Comment

On games, I got a megalodon card for super cheap so I've been playing GTA online a bit. It's nice to be back.
                            oh and I played Detroit: Become Human through a couple of times. I enjoyed it. It's not a traditional game as such and it had some major flaws, but I really liked the execution.

Comment

For all that it's not a perfect game, I've enjoyed RDR2 immensely. The game world is probably the most beautiful and detailed I've ever played in. I think I've run out of steam, though; finished the epilogue and nearly all of the stranger missions, and explored pretty much the entire map, but the hunting isn't enough to keep me going back.

Comment

I really enjoyed the bits where you were doing stuff. The interminable hours of starting at a horse's arse were dull as shit. The game would have been infinitely better with a proper non-gimped fast travel system.
                                Oh and the pop up of screen assets was really off-putting. Having played HZD, Far Cry 5, Tomb Raider etc. recently with none or almost no pop up, I really expected a lot better.
                                Last edited by hobbes; 15-01-2019, 18:01.

Comment

Spent £20 on a high-speed HDMI. New telly is amazing, and PS4 in HDR looks the nuts. Well pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    I really enjoyed the bits where you were doing stuff. The interminable hours of starting at a horse's arse were dull as shit. The game would have been infinitely better with a proper non-gimped fast travel system.
                                    Oh and the pop up of screen assets was really off-putting. Having played HZD, Far Cry 5, Tomb Raider etc. recently with none or almost no pop up, I really expected a lot better.
                                    What's 'pop-up of screen assets'?

There is a fast travel system that you can get from the camp about halfway through, and the trains and coaches do a fairly good job too.

In the Detroit Become Human game, I've never seen ms johnr so upset at a game as when a particular decision she made resulted in the kid getting killed really early by the nurse. She went back and played the entire thing again just to rectify it.

I think we're in the 'black and white movies' of the game era, and Become Human is where we're going to go with them. I think the multiple narratives/follow your own path is the future, even though I love RDR2 more.

Comment

My only guess is that it is yet another apocalyptic result of No Deal

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post

It's where backgrounds and graphics generally are rendered late so they seem to appear out of nowhere. It's especially jarring in games where you're moving fast, like racing games - trees, buildings, etc, suddenly "pop-up" making it harder to plan ahead. Sometimes due to running games on machines that lack sufficient processing power, or if the game itself is poorly designed.

Comment

Aye. In general it was fine but too much of the small close shrubbery would just appear from nowhere as you rode up to it. It was pretty offputting. Especially given I was playing it on an XBone X.

There is a fast travel system that you can get from the camp about halfway through, and the trains and coaches do a fairly good job too.
                                          That's what I mean by gimped. You had to travel to a town or home to get vaguely near places. There could be 5 or 10 minutes of pointless riding about at either end. RDR1 you could just set up camp and travel as long as you'd been there before.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that. I haven't noticed to much of the pop-up, but will have a look.

I read somewhere that the makers deliberately wanted to 'slow down' players by restricting the fast travel options, with the aim of also making each plot point/interaction seem more 'important'. I can see why it gets on some player's nerves, but we had a fine enough time riding to Albert Mason's eagle-spotting non-event last night, cos we just enjoy mooching around. Horse for courses (!).

Comment

If you have a Nintendo Switch, then PikuNiku is well worth your time and £12 of your money. Simple visuals, brilliant sound design and a genuinely funny story. Recommended.

Comment

I've been playing Sunless Skies. It's okay, but basically more of the same following on from Sunless Sea. I find the shuttling back and forth turns into a fairly unappealing grind.

Comment

Just waiting for my copy of Far Cry New Dawn to arrive.
                                                  Amazon are so slow these days.
                                                  No worries, I can play all next week. Except I can't as it's half term. D'oh!

Comment

Picked up two months of Xbox Game Pass for £2 and now catching up on some games.

Bomber Crew - oddly tone-deaf idea (The Sims meets Memphis Belle - listed under "Family games" as well), terrible controls. Gave up after five minutes.

Crackdown 3 - not bad to dip into, but really uninspiring. Average graphics, average gameplay. GTA without the missions, Saints Row without the juvenile humour. Took out two sub-bosses and realised that the rest of the game was basically going to play out the same.

We Happy Few - despite universally negative reviews, I was really keen to play this. And so far it's better than expected. It wants to be Bioshock, but is nowhere near that good. The plot is insane and really, breathtakingly dark, though. I'm quite enjoying it.

Trailer:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X