No announcement yet.

Goodbye Southern League, farewell Northern League, ta ta Isthmian League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't understand before but now I'm really confused. Kev, have you missed out an area for sake of simplicity in your diagram?

The Isthmian is London and the South East isn't it? So you have that, two "Southern" and a Northern league at Step 3? Where do the midlands play?

Comment

They'll be split between Southern and Northern leagues, as is the case now.

At the end of every season there's a big discussion as to where clubs on the "Northern" edge of the South will play. There are simply more clubs in the South. For instance it's especially bizarre when Bishops Stortford (in East Hertfordshire) end up playing in the national League's Northern division.

The new alignment for the Southern Prem — for instance is probably designed address the growth of clubs from the West. It's a big imposition on players from Bedfordshire, say, to play a mid-week match in Merthyr or Truro — and vice-versa.
      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 26-06-2017, 16:06.

Comment

Ian Culverhouse has managed to persuade Grant Holt and Simon Lappin to sign for Kings Lynn. That should get a few more through the turnstiles.

Comment

Quality. Great news for Lynn, hope they both do well at The Walks. (That's not a pun on Holt's waistline, although he does look like he might not have been doing too much running lately...)

Comment

Eight separate stories about this on the local Pink'Un website. That's international week for you.

Comment

To be honest, that's just the Pink 'Un for you at pretty much any time, surely?

Comment

Linnets owner seems a right dodgy bugger.

Anyway Hitchin play at Kings Lynn this evening, never any love lost, maybe more so tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  To be honest, that's just the Pink 'Un for you at pretty much any time, surely?
                  Ugh, yeah, Archant group took over the long standing Cambridge Evening News and have turned it into click bait garbage. Their favourite topic is stirring up animosity between people who drive cars and people who ride bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                    Ian Culverhouse has managed to persuade Grant Holt and Simon Lappin to sign for Kings Lynn. That should get a few more through the turnstiles.
                    Four more at least if he's still there by Boxing Day. Mrs H and I decided last night we'd take the kids to the game when we visit her folks just outside Lynn for Christmas. We'll be giving them the opportunity as they get older to boast about how they got to see a genuine footballing legend* in the flesh.

*it's a relative term. I'm Rochdale, she's Norwich. He's a love we share.

Comment

2–0 to Kings Lynn. One red card (Rolfe: Hitchin) and six yellows. Average for this encounter. GH got about thirty minutes, missed an open goal at the death.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                        We'll be giving them the opportunity as they get older to boast about how they got to see a genuine footballing legend* in the flesh.
                        No qualification needed AH, "genuine footballing legend" seems a perfectly good epithet to me!

2-0 to King's Lynn it finishes, helped by Hitchin having a defender sent off on the stroke of half-time apparently for stamping on the Lynn keeper who had the ball in hands. I serendipitiously happened to download the BBC Radio iPlayer app to my recently-acquired new (second-hand) phone this evening and loaded up Radio Norfolk just in time to find live coverage half an hour into the opening half. Holt and Lappin both got on for the closing stages, appropriately enough against the Canaries (as it only occurred to me midway through the second half), with GenuineFootballingLegend™ Holt missing a late gilt-edged chance to score on debut by having the ball come completely wrongly off his head. Ah well. A notable 1067 in attendance, comfortably Lynn's highest attendance of the season of course.

Edit: Heh, slight overlap with AdeC's post there. Never mind!

The Linnets' chance of improving their position at the upper end of the Southern Premier looked to be good when near-rivals Slough were 4-0 down at half-time at Merthyr. Have just heard that incredibly it finished 5-4 to Slough, who scored their 4th and 5th goals in the 89th and 90th minutes. Terrible for the hosts, great for any passing neutrals who happened to have bought a ticket behind that net. There must be a hell of a slope I've never heard about at Penydarren Park.

The local radio coverage of the Lynn/Hitchin game was nearly overshadowed by unfortunate, near-farcical events at the big Norfolk derby in the Thurlow Nunn Premier (Eastern Counties League, Step 9), where Great Yarmouth's team, staff and fans, the referee, etc. had all travelled to be present and correct at Fakenham Town, when they were told 15 minutes before kickoff that the game would have to be called off because Fakenham could not field a team. It's all a bit murky but it appears as though their players basically refused to go out and play, symptomatic it sounds of a whole string of problems the club have sadly had in recent months. Yarmouth manager was interviewed on the broadcast and had never come across a situation quite like it – he sounded sympathetic but exasperated and pretty pissed off on behalf of all the inconvenienced parties, as well he might.
                        Last edited by Various Artist; 10-10-2017, 21:20.

Comment

For the second time, Cambridge City's planning application for a new stadium in Sawston has been approved. Maybe they might actually be allowed to build it someday.

By moving six-odd miles south of the city, they'll only be ten miles from Royston. So if Cambridge City go up from the Southern Div.1E they'd be a new derby match for them.
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 01-11-2017, 14:19.

Comment

Assuming Royston don't sneak up to the Conference South via the playoffs (currently 10th, one place and point above Hitchin). It's already bizarre enough with The Crows being a Division above both City and Histon. Then again, way back when (mid-80s), I saw Royston Town play Stevenage Borough in league games.

Oh, and the Cambridge City FC application isn't quite the same as last time. The first go over included some sort of partnership with Cambridge City Hockey Club. That never made much sense to me (Hockey is also on Saturdays so there would have been traffic clashes, plus the best artificial surface for Football is next to useless for Hockey and vice versa), and City HC have long since jumped ship. Indeed their own planning application, to have two Hockey-specific pitches built at the University Sports Centre on Wilberforce Road, sailed through with rather less bother.
                            Last edited by Janik; 01-11-2017, 15:07.

Comment

It's going to be a tough division to get out of this season. Well supported 'giants' Hereford and Kettering, superbly managed Slough Town, and financially doped Kings Lynn will most likely take four of the five post-season places. Royston are doing impressively well for a promoted team though. Good to have a new local rivalry.

Comment

I'd have liked to see a cricket pitch added at Sawston, suitable for minor counties, so that Cambs could host some matches there rather than in March all the time.

Histon are two steps down from Royston now in the ECL Premier (and not looking likely to come back up, though at least they've arrested the slide).

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                  Four more at least if he's still there by Boxing Day. Mrs H and I decided last night we'd take the kids to the game when we visit her folks just outside Lynn for Christmas. We'll be giving them the opportunity as they get older to boast about how they got to see a genuine footballing legend* in the flesh.

Less than a month and he's buggered off already. Barrow have poached Holt as player-coach.

Wonder how long Simon Lappin will stick around?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    Ugh, yeah, Archant group took over the long standing Cambridge Evening News and have turned it into click bait garbage. Their favourite topic is stirring up animosity between people who drive cars and people who ride bikes.
                                    I didn't think that Archant owned the Evening News (or Cambridge News, which the title recently reverted to), and an email I've received today from one of their journalists would appear to confirm it - it came from an @trinitymirror.com address.

Comment

Oops, you're quite right Janik. Sorry for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                                        Less than a month and he's buggered off already. Barrow have poached Holt as player-coach.

Wonder how long Simon Lappin will stick around?
                                        Bugger on two counts, that'll be us having to spend the afternoon at Mrs H's dad's house on Boxing Day then. It would seem he failed to supply the inspiration to those around him that he did during his second spell at Rochdale where despite failing to set the place on fire himself his arrival saw a considerable improvement in our form. Not sure if he has ambitions to manage but I really don't see it happening. Good luck to him though.

Comment

I love the fact that amongst the chaos of Whyteleafe's comeback against Guernsey earlier in the week they still don't know who scored the equaliser :

Guernsey 4

Ross Allen (8')
                                          Dave Rihoy (15')
                                          Dave Rihoy (37')
                                          Craig Young (74')

Whyteleafe 4

Sam Clayton (72')
                                          Jake Connaris (75')
                                          Nkori-Venceslas Bola (84')
                                          Unknown (89')

Comment

Totally off the main topic of this thread, but if I can just edge down the sidetrack a little further, here's today's Cambridge News front page.

https://twitter.com/alice_hutton/status/938387072833945601
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 06-12-2017, 13:29.

Comment

Mind you a tsunami heading for Cambridge is pretty big news...

Comment

Working...
                                              X