The Orville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Orville

... is an upcoming new TV show for Fox. From what I can gather, it is about a spaceship named "The Orville", and is, I think, a comedy/drama.

It is live action, and is written by, and starring, Seth MacFarlane.

Wiki has a little more information.

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
    ...a spaceship named "The Orville"
    Does it wish it could fly?

Comment

And it's started...

Comment

Duck! Here comes The Orville!

Am I wright?

Comment

A fairly straightforward "Star Trek" homage. Sparse on gags, but has enough of a good cast and goodwill to see it forward.

One gag at the end was worth the wait.

Comment

Watching this now, in tandem with Star Trek Discovery, nice times.

Not sure about old Seth as a lead man; but like the hommage - at first I thought why bother when Galaxy Quest did this stuff so much better; but actually liking it - Actually it reminds me sometimes not only as a weird combination of STTNG and Voyager but with and bits of the weaker parts of Firefly. Suits me.

Now Discovery is a different animal, Episode 1 sucked, Episode 2 Sucked but was more spectacular at least to watch, and Episode 3 yay! half decent , has a death eater as captain and barely any sight of these strange versions of Klingon - definitely the worse reboots of a well known Alien race since the VW/Audi versions of the Daleks a couple of years ago.

Oh! and loads of lens flare, JJ I know your'e hiding in there somewhere.

RANT TIME
            One thing I struggle with , is why keep trying to do prequels? , like with Enterprise, where everything looks far more advanced than the preceding series, now with Discovery it makes anything in the Star Trek verse seem like they thought Betamax tapes were neat even though it is supposed to be 10 years before Kirk's shenanigans.
            Never mind it's only Telly.

Comment

Were the Klingons "strange" because they're meant to tie in with the (very odd, retrospectively) Klingons of the 'Original Series' era, i.e. not the ones we all know and love from Next Generation onwards?

Your last paragraph raises some interesting philosophical conjecture. My immediate assumption is that advancing the timeline/scope of the series into the unknown, as seen in TNG, DSG and Voyager, is regarded by the televisual powers that be as too risky nowadays – they probably assume nobody wants to watch a new Star Trek series without the 'hook' that jumping back into the history of the mythos like this provides, i.e. it puts us back in (or, at least, around) that familiar envelope where Kirk, Spock and the rest all belong. It's an easy, some might say lazy shortcut, which means Discovery gets the immediate boost of sort of hitchhiking along with something already so culturally embedded rather than having to, erm, boldly seek out new frontiers all of its own. Is the idea to eventually run it into the back of the original series, as it were, to 'join up' with where the whole thing began?

And yes, you could argue Enterprise tried broadly the same gambit already without much success; but at the time they must have presumed it would make for an interesting new spin on things, perhaps feeling they'd taken the 'outward' progression as far as they could across the preceding three shows' 15 years. They just got it a bit wrong in certain aspects, not least tonally: think how it was bizarrely presented initially without the "Star Trek" name in its title, the typical "sci-fi" scenes/music/typefaces excised from the credits sequence, and even went with a kind of power ballad for the theme tune – like they were trying to position it as "Trek for girls" or something. Whereas, this in fact just had the effect of leaving it feeling sort of orphaned from the rest of the franchise, and it never really caught up from there.

And sure, that left the Trek brand a bit toxic for a while, but now the rebooted film series has proven popular – again, thanks to actually revisiting the established TOS characters and era, albeit in what has turned into some parallel timeline – they must figure that hot prequel action is where the market lies. Provided it's moved a step or two closer to the original starting point, as the money seems to lie in tapping the still-potent affection for that period. Ironically, it appears that as a mass audience we don't want to actually see the franchise go where no-one has gone before, we'd prefer the cosy familiarity of going basically where we did 50 years ago.
              Last edited by Various Artist; 05-10-2017, 01:05.

Comment

There is also the added complication that the reboot has removed TNG, DS9 and Voyager from the timeline. If you do a future star trek series now do you set it in the new film branch or do you ignore the film and set it in the universe from the tv series?

Comment

Seth looks a bit like Jeffrey Hunter, the original captain http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jeffrey_Hunter

Comment

Interesting points VA, I am sure I have read somewhere that STD (ha!) is in the Shatner rather than the Pine universe.

Regarding Enterprise there were times it was okay, and actually quite addictive; but lost it's way. Regarding the power ballad - I can't remember if Firefly was out before Enterprise; but it was obviously eth rage at eth time to have country rock intros.
                    And just showing I simply love too much the original series - my favourite "was through a mirror darkly", where they can all dress up in Kirk era uniforms, and ponce around on a wonderfully familiar layout with the bleeps and all.
                    I think you're right we just want to keep returning to those '60s decorations, and deviation from that would lose too many followers.

On to Klingons - its just this difference seems so large to any Klingon seen before, more like Uruk-kai.

Of course as it's 10 years before Kirk, maybe we'll see the aberration that Worf wouldn't speak about in DS9. (another nostalgia episode), and these guys get turned into the Klingons of the original series, fake moustaches and all.

back to The Orville - when's the next episode out?

Comment

Watched ep 3 of Disco and the first two eps of The Orville last night.
                      Jesus The Orville is rank. For a guy who has made so much telly, with a team who have made so much Star Trek the lack of coherence and fluidity to the scripting and storyboarding was horribly amateurish.
                      I'll watch a couple more to see if it's just opening ep teething problems, but it's got a long way to improve before it get's even remotely watchable.

And Seth MacFarlane's comedy timing is way off. Way, way off.

Comment

Haha, yes of course that thing with Worf being tight-lipped about the, ah, 'different' original Klingons is from DS9's 'Trials and Tribble-ations', isn't it VTT? I haven't seen that since about 1998, but I've always thought his single terse comment about how "We do not speak about it with outsiders" or whatever it was was a brilliant way of just sidestepping the continuity issue. I do hope they never feel the need to go back and try to actually address it on-screen. I'm going to have to look for a picture of these Uruk-hai Klingons now though, that does sound odd.

...oh. Yes, I see what you mean. According to Michael Dorn, it seems Discovery's original showrunner Bryan Fuller (who got his start on DS9 and Voyager) would've kept them much more similar to the established look, but his early departure from the project means it's one of the things that will have got changed up under the new producers. Apparently he was in preliminary talks to bring Dorn back to play one of Worf's ancestors before he went, too.

Per what Levin said and you commented on, I think I spied somewhere last night (when checking up on when exactly Discovery is set) that it is indeed being kept within the original chronology, leaving the movie timeline to run parallel on its own.

I've never got around to watching Firefly – I didn't realise it had that same kind of theme song as did Enterprise. I've just suddenly remembered the latter's was called Faith Of The Heart, sung by Russell Watson in a sort of eerie Rod Stewart impersonation. I think both series started in 2002, so it must've been a close-run thing who got there first.

Going back to your original post, if I'm not completely imagining things haven't the 'new improved' Technicolor Daleks been eased out of the stories again, possibly due to the amount of negative reactions they got? All the ones I recall seeing more recently were of the previous type again, although I haven't seen the latest series to know if either type show up there. (Don't tell me if they do!)

Comment

The country rock worked for Firefly imo because the 'verse was pretty low tech on a lot of settler worlds.

Comment

Working...
                          X