The Cowboy Cup 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cowboy Cup 2017/18

An auspicious start to the League Cup's new guise under the sponsorship of some Thai energy drink.

From the BBC site ;

"Well, that was an absolute farce of a draw. The draw for the first round of the League Cup has taken place in Bangkok, Thailand with a live stream on the sponsor's Facebook page.

That was the plan, but the feed had no sound, stalled on other people's computers and an error with the graphics caused confusion.

Charlton Athletic appeared twice on the graphic, firstly playing Exeter away and then Cheltenham at home. The correct match is Exeter v Charlton.

There was another problem with the graphic as it said AFC Wimbledon were playing Swindon, a draw that is not possible because both sides are unseeded. AFC Wimbledon are actually at home to Brentford with Norwich City at home to Swindon.

So here is the full League Cup first round draw.

South section

Birmingham v Crawley, Exeter v Charlton, QPR v Northampton, Newport v Southend, Bristol City v Plymouth, Cardiff v Portsmouth, Millwall v Stevenage, Oxford United v Cheltenham, AFC Wimbledon v Brentford, Norwich v Swindon, Bristol Rovers v Cambridge, Peterborough v Barnet, Wycombe v Fulham, Colchester v Aston Villa, Wolves v Yeovil, Reading v Gillingham, Forest Green v MK Dons, Luton v Ipswich.

North section

Coventry v Blackburn, Nottingham Forest v Shrewsbury, Bradford v Doncaster, Mansfield v Rochdale, Grimsby v Derby, Barnsley v Morecambe, Crewe v Bolton, Oldham v Burton, Wigan v Blackpool, Bury v Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday v Chesterfield, Accrington v Preston, Fleetwood v Carlisle, Sheffield United v Walsall, Scunthorpe v Notts County, Rotherham v Lincoln, Leeds v Port Vale."
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-06-2017, 16:43.

"It's the cup draw that keeps on giving.

Despite Newport County being drawn at home to Southend United in the first round of the League Cup, the match will now take place at Southend's Roots Hall stadium so Newport can finish work on their pitch."

Comment

Sunderland at home. I wonder if we can tempt a few Mackems to make the trip to Gigg based on a nostalgia for the night they were promoted to the Premier League there in 1999, when Kevin Phillips bagged four. I'm sure they'd prefer that to the memories of losing in the same (but differently-sponsored) competition at the same stage in 2006.

Comment

I get an excuse to go and watch AFC Wimbledon for the first time. And it's shortly after payday, so I might even manage to get there.

Comment

I've been trying to think of a witty title for this thread since I saw who the sponsors were yesterday. I failed.

Anyway my lot's reward for finishing 19th last season is a bye to the next round. Hurrah. Forest Green v MK Dons will be popular on here. And promotions and relegations mean that Shrewsbury and Northampton have moved south.

Comment

It was a tremendous broadcast, aside from the minor hiccups of giving Charlton two ties and the graphics problems we also got to see Shaun Harvey being really wooden, paying tribute to the passing of the King of Thailand (last October) and a truly toe curling filler interview with Emmanuel Petit waxing lyrical about Bangkok ("So, Emmanuel, do you like shopping in Thailand, then" to paraphrase)

Anyway, Chesterfield home for us, should be a decent crowd for that. They haven't won a tie in this competition since 2006. No pressure, fellas.

Comment

Well one positive out of all this nonsense is that Shrewsbury get to play Nottingham Forest in competitive game for the first time.

I'm all a quiver.

Comment

We face Burton. Who'll be without Ben Turner, thanks to his five match ban for racist abuse.

Comment

We're welcoming Lincoln City back into the Football League by giving them an easy away win...

Comment

Fleetwood away - one of the least glamorous ties possible, but has the benefits of being relatively local and a new ground tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      We're welcoming Lincoln City back into the Football League by giving them an easy away win...
                      I believe the last team we met you hammered us 6-0. Time for us to try and work that trauma out of our system. Nice to be back in this thread for a while.

Comment

we welcome preston north end to Accrington. Should be a decent crowd and after beating Morecambe, blackpool and burnley last season the quest for Champions of Lancashire continues

Comment

Home to Notts County, same as last year (2-0 AET). Underwhelming, although it's hard to think of a whelming tie from the options available.

Comment

In an illustration of what an unwelcome intrusion this all is on the summer, I've realised I'll be at the World Athletics Championships the whole week that the First Round ties will be played.

Comment

Do you know that it's only just occurred to me that Bath City never go in the League Cup. As we are in not in the League.

Sorry, I am out of practice with all this.

Comment

The seeding thing is rubbish.

Comment

Shrewsbury at home. Now there's a team I've never seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    In an illustration of what an unwelcome intrusion this all is on the summer, I've realised I'll be at the World Athletics Championships the whole week that the First Round ties will be played.
                                    Me too. Not that I'll be going to any Ipswich games for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Can't make a midweek trip to Nottingham to watch the historical first match with Forest (as Nick mentioned upthread) but I might drag myself round the corner to watch Cardiff v Portsmouth

Comment

Ah the glory days of Derek Holmes...

Comment

Anyone going to a League Cup game tonight? Realised it's almost seven years to the day since I experienced Lincoln's last outing in this competition, a fun night at Elland Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                            Sunderland at home. I wonder if we can tempt a few Mackems to make the trip to Gigg based on a nostalgia for the night they were promoted to the Premier League there in 1999, when Kevin Phillips bagged four. I'm sure they'd prefer that to the memories of losing in the same (but differently-sponsored) competition at the same stage in 2006.
                                            The return of James Vaughan now, too. He seems to be struggling to settle into Sunderland's side at the moment.

Comment

Barnsley v Morecambe repeats the fixture of 2011, which the visitors won 2-0. It was their only ever competitive meeting.

Comment

We got the least inspiring draw ever in Oxford away.

We've never done well in the League Cup, only making the second round on 4 occasions.

Comment

Swindon lead at Carrow Road. Balls.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X