How do I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I?

There is a lot of functionality in vBulletin. If a feature needs clarifying, feel free to ask in here.

How does one navigate from the landing page to other pages in the "New Posts" view?

Comment

Celine Dion earworm. Ffs thread title.

Comment

I was getting LeAnn Rimes, LS. I had to fight down the urge yesterday to leave a reply consisting of "...live without you, I wanna know?"

Comment

Of course, you've got the correct MOR chaunteuse VA. Misheard the horrors, now it's coming into supersharp LeeAnn focus. As unwelcome as earhairs getting that song in earworm stereo. Canadians, eh?
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-06-2017, 01:19.

Comment

Now you've put Shania Twain in my head.

Anyway, how do I (if I can):

Increase the text font size when reading posts?
            Reply using something other than "Quick Reply" or the Reply button in someone's post? To be fair the Quick Reply doesn't appear restrictive, just the "+Reply to Thread" button isn't responsive and I wondered if it worked for others.

Neither of these is anything even approaching a big deal, and I hope the Snake has slithered off to his burrow/den/lair for some well-earned rest.

Comment

How do I customise my profile? I press the 'customise profile' button but all that comes up is lots of waffle about fonts and colours. Help please.

Comment

Go to Settings on the top right menu. On the next page, down the left hand side, you'll find Edit Profile

Comment

Edited to be correct - 07/08/21

To add a spoiler

The spoiler popup is a bit weird and very confusing.

1. Click the popup
                  2. Type the text you want to see as the "click me" text before the spoiler
                  3. Click OK. It will be added to the text box
                  4. Add your spoiler text between the tags

Basically the format is

[SPOILER=Click here to see spoiler]This is the text I want to hide[/SPOILER]

In action it looks like

Click here to see spoiler: Show
                  This is the text I want to hide
                  Last edited by Snake Plissken; 07-08-2021, 13:24.

Comment

Is it possible to synchronise my OTF experience across devices? I read quite a few of the new posts in World this morning on my phone, but now I'm on PC those posts are showing as unread and the "Go to first new post" button takes me to posts I've already read. It's like déjà vu all over again.

Comment

[spoiler]Worst. Spoiler. Ever.[/spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        To add a spoiler
                        Awesome! Thanks much!

Comment

Snake, if I try to edit an OP of a thread I've started, there is a box to change the title but it never seems to update. Am I missing something?

Comment

The thread updating a bit odd. I've found that if on the list of threads, you click next to the thread title (not on it) then you can edit the title. This may be a Mod level privilege though.

Comment

Em I’m sure The fault is with me, but posting the link below using the image button no longer posts an image, merely the URL with the img tags around it. Am I going soft in the head?

http://api.ning.com/files/vtzFJJ0Ijh...rthCascade.jpg

Posting as image URL gives me:
                              [IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/vtzFJJ0IjhEj16KuqJ*cjLiHtTCm*CgggHkiPP1mIJAeu7T2UC rXb0nIaayzksqpmuT4JHIR919slNFlitTjI0x2EdReYsaS/NorthCascade.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Ah, think Ursus has this.

Comment

I have a feeling that it was the asterisks that intermediate image server had put into the url that were causing the problem.

The original url is much shorter and less complicated.

Comment

How do I quote a whole post, including the quotes in that post?

Comment

Do you mean nested quotes? I think that vBulletin removes those when quoting. If it is quoting an earlier post, you can use the multi-quote function. (The icon at the bottom right of the post, looks like two speech bubbles.)

Comment

Ok, I tried that, and nothing happened. I'll try again. Ta.

Oh, I'm not really sure I follow, as it goes. Yes, I mean nested quotes. What would the other thing mean?

Comment

Also, why is Berba allowed to have a name that's too long to allow a "go straight to last post" thingy work?

Comment

The "other thing" (multi-quote) means you click on the checkboxes of more than one post in a thread (these can be on more than one page, it remembers somehow when you change page); then when you hit 'Reply With Quote' under any post the text from all the ticked posts will appear in your reply box one after the other. Like this:

Do you mean nested quotes? I think that vBulletin removes those when quoting. If it is quoting an earlier post, you can use the multi-quote function. (The icon at the bottom right of the post, looks like two speech bubbles.)
                                            Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Oh, I'm not really sure I follow, as it goes. Yes, I mean nested quotes. What would the other thing mean?
                                            You have to do it before starting a reply though as I think it overrides any existing reply box you might have open already on that page.
                                            Last edited by Various Artist; 20-12-2017, 02:15.

Comment

The new boards, as Snake says, remove nested quotes to avoid that 'quote of a quote of a quote' stuff that tends to otherwise massively clog up pages because most people can't be arsed editing down the duplicated stuff in their reply box to only the salient bits.

If you want to nest quotes, e.g. because you specifically want to show the whole course of a conversation within your reply, then you can still do so. In the case of the above comments, my moving the tags and text of Snake's quote to within the tags of your quote still creates this:

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It just has to be done manually, you can't get the board to do it for you.
                                              Last edited by Various Artist; 20-12-2017, 02:19.

Comment

Thanks both, I shall try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  The new boards, as Snake says, remove nested quotes to avoid that 'quote of a quote of a quote' stuff that tends to otherwise massively clog up pages because most people can't be arsed editing down the duplicated stuff in their reply box to only the salient bits.
                                                  Shame that, speaking as one who has always been careful only to quote what needs to appear. It's a bit like our local recycling collections, really.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X