Bug reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Note for self: Highlighting of new posts isn't consistent. Updated threads are marked as read after a certain time, whether they have been read or not.
    If this helps, I was just coming here to post the following on the other thread where I brought it up last week:

If you don't read a new thread today, but decide tomorrow that you will have a look in there after all, it'll take you to the first post made since you were last on the forum, even though you've not read any of the previous posts in that thread either.

Just realised it after it happened to me a couple more times. Thought I'd mention it as it might help you to know that at least that 'certain time' isn't random, the site's seeing some logic there.

Comment

Editing still doesn't work properly on mobile.

Comment

Yeah. Running out of time to have a go at fixing that.

Comment

No biggie. Switching to a different view (from the default mobile style) is a workaround.

Comment

I've been running into that same sort of problem as Sam describes above – glad it's not just me.

This might belong in the Feature Requests thread instead, but am still feeling the lack of a proper Recent Topics page – the New Posts page is only good as long as you religiously catch up with everything 'new' every time you come into the forum. If I check in for the first time today and discover that there's been movement in say 15 threads I'm interested in since I last came by yesterday, but I only have the time or inclination to take a look at a handful, then when I come back later on or tomorrow the other ten or a dozen won't still be helpfully sitting there marked as unread unless someone's added further new content. If they've had no recent posts they'll have vanished from the page altogether – at which point there's no option but to trawl through the individual forums trying to remember what it was that caught your eye, whereas with Recent Topics you could always just click down through the complete chronology of last-posted-to threads to catch up.

The other irritation with New Posts, as I discovered when I attempted to bookmark it after the changeover, is it's not so much a page of its own as a constantly evolving search return. That is, the New Posts URL ends in a "?searchid=[number]", which changes all the time, so it's impossible to bookmark as the next time you drop by the search ID is out of date and just gives you a message saying "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
            Last edited by Various Artist; 03-07-2017, 21:36.

Comment

I haven't got an answer to the bookmark issue, but one can increase the number of threads per page as high as 50 via Settings (top right) > My Account (left sidebar) > General Settings > Thread Display Options

Comment

Thanks for the reminder ursus, I hadn't actually changed that despite meaning to. It doesn't functionally alter any of what I mention above, mind, although it'll be nice to look in on OTF in the morning and not have to click through to a second page of new posts every now and then when there's been 20+ threads updated.

I'd imagined the next option down in those settings, Default Thread Age Cut Off, would have more effect on the problem I mentioned, but alas it doesn't appear to have any relevance – the boards assume that I've caught up with unread threads once it's let me know one time that they're unread, without seeming to feel the need to keep them handily visible in one place if I still haven't looked at them by tomorrow.

Edit: Ah, just realised that first thing isn't a setting for number of threads per page, it's for number of posts per page. I kept that on default deliberately, on the basis that altering it makes it more likely it'll become impossible to discuss with other people what stuff was posted on what previous page of a thread, since if I switch to 50 posts per page it suddenly turns page 16 of a thread into page 8 from my perspective, etc.
                Last edited by Various Artist; 03-07-2017, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  This might belong in the Feature Requests thread instead, but am still feeling the lack of a proper Recent Topics page – the New Posts page is only good as long as you religiously catch up with everything 'new' every time you come into the forum. If I check in for the first time today and discover that there's been movement in say 15 threads I'm interested in since I last came by yesterday, but I only have the time or inclination to take a look at a handful, then when I come back later on or tomorrow the other ten or a dozen won't still be helpfully sitting there marked as unread unless someone's added further new content. If they've had no recent posts they'll have vanished from the page altogether – at which point there's no option but to trawl through the individual forums trying to remember what it was that caught your eye, whereas with Recent Topics you could always just click down through the complete chronology of last-posted-to threads to catch up.
                  I have found this annoying too, but I don't really see a way around it. If a thread would only disappear from the New Posts view when I actually read it, then some threads that I never frequent (I mean, what the hell is cricket and why do people care?) will remain in the New Posts forever. That would mean that over time, the vast majority of threads under New Posts would be uninteresting to me. The mechanic "as soon as I leave the forum, mark the current status of threads as not new anymore" takes care of that.

The consequence is that I find myself visiting the forum less often; if I only have three minutes, I know that I can't catch up with everything. This is not a good consequence.

I guess that having an additional Recent Topics page would be the best of both worlds.

Comment

I guess "some threads that I never frequent (I mean, what the hell is cricket and why do people care?*) will remain in the New Posts forever" is just what I was perfectly used to with Recent Topics previously. I never looked in the Chess thread, for example (full of weird geeky types playing a virtual game, cuh) but it didn't matter to me that it was always there in my periphery, I was simply attuned to skipping my eye down the chronological list to pick out where all the ones I have an interest in have had recent activity, and opening them all up for perusal.

*TV Tropes / Useful Notes / Cricket Rules – it's dead simple, honestly...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                      *TV Tropes / Useful Notes / Cricket Rules – it's dead simple, honestly...
                      "In the case of a draw, both teams will line up in a scrum for a penalty kick-out."
                      Now _that_ is something I would watch!

Comment

I'll look into a Recent Topics page - but I guess that is for v5, which is coming in the next couple of months.

You can Subscribe to a Forum, which will email you updates daily, weekly or just store them in your Control Panel as notifications. I haven't actually played with that, but I think that might help.

As well as the New Posts, have you looked at the Activity Stream? I've made a small change to that to show the last 60 updates and I can set it to a Thread or a Post. (I might just set to Thread to see what happens.) I've also noticed that the "More Activity" button at the bottom is the wrong coloured text.

Comment

I confess I'd dismissed Activity Stream as basically unhelpful straight after the new boards came online, in that I'm not terribly keen on wading through 5 or 10 or 30 notifications of individual replies to a thread when I only want a one-stop glance to know which threads have been updated. If your alteration of a setting to 'Thread' rather than 'Post' creates in effect a replica of the old Recent Topics, then I'd be all for it Snake. (And yes, the 'More Activity' button there could do with being a lighter colour, couldn't it?!)

Have to say I'm not at all interested in getting mailed updates from any particular Forum as I don't think of the board in terms of 'World', 'Football', 'Books' etc. – I've always been firmly on the Recent Topics side of the user browsing schism, soaring gaily over the top of those imaginary walls in between the various forums and just pecking at whatever interesting-looking threads float up on the thermals of hot air from within.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned the inability to size images? They're all huge, which I think is probably putting people off posting them a bit.

Comment

Yes.

It isn't something that is the fault of the forum, per se, as it is simply linking to the image. I have found that it is possible to add a width / height value to the [IMG] tag. For example:

[img width="300" height="200"]link_to_image[/img]

will resize the incoming image to 300x200. This is a bit of a pain, though. There are more options which you can see at this link - https://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

However, there is some script out there - or I'll try and write one - which analyses the size of the incoming image and resizes accordingly. When we go to vb5 I will look into writing that script - no real point doing all the work only for it to be wiped out by the upgrade.

Comment

Absolutely. Sorry I missed it was already mentioned. And the intention certainly wasn't just to give you more to do Snake. Did I say well done, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  Yes.

It isn't something that is the fault of the forum, per se, as it is simply linking to the image. I have found that it is possible to add a width / height value to the [IMG] tag. For example:

[img width="300" height="200"]link_to_image[/img]

will resize the incoming image to 300x200.
                                  Could I also specify the one (width/height) and let the other (height/width) be automatically determined, to keep the aspect ratio intact?

Comment

I believe that you can specify just the one value, yes.

Sits - no worries. I'm sad enough to look on it as an intellectual exercise.

Comment

Snake, that width/height BBCode doesn't work for me, nor do any other variants I've tried including what's on that page you link to above.

Is anyone else having any success with this?

Comment

I tried and failed it too Snake. Don't want to sound ungrateful or anything...

Comment

[IMG width="200" height="200"]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFOUuHZVYAAsmpb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG width="300"]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFOUuHZVYAAsmpb.jpg[/IMG]

What am I doing wrong?
                                          Last edited by Wouter D; 21-07-2017, 13:46.

Comment

I'll have a look when I can. I'm in Ireland at the moment, so restricted to phone.

Comment

You make it sound like internet access hasn't yet reached the Emerald Isle, Snake.

Actually, can you imagine what OTF would be like if it hadn't...?!

Comment

To be fair, that picture of Ico deserves to be huge.

Comment

The results of using the tweet code to embed tweets is inconsistent. I think it's got something to do with the different editor modes or the way the editor recognises urls but I don't know and I can't investigate right now because I am a bag of rage at it.

Comment

Noted. I think it is URL based but will see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X