No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really don't like seeing players hit that 100 X11 appearances mark, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
      Don't sweat it. The first time the Kneebiters ever reached those lofty heights, in Season 24, we finished dead last. Our record was played 14, won 1, drew 2, lost 11, goals scored 15, goals conceded 49, goal difference -34, points 5.

An educational first top flight season would be far from unprecedented.
      Indeed, it's more the norm, if anything. Vita Mortis went straight back down on our first go at the top flight. The Swine did it on each of their first two, I believe, but after a hiatus (admittedly a long one) Sits made it stick (and then some!) on the third attempt this last season. Wednesday de la Zouch meanwhile went straight back down last season on their own first crack at the top tier.

It's a tricky jump to navigate to say the least, but hang in there AB and I'm sure you'll manage it – just not necessarily at the first time of asking...

Comment

I think if I recall correctly the Monkeys went up and down between the two 7 seasons in a row

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
          The final original squad member of Iko Ka Kansai is about to leave the club. Tomoki Sugiyama was an 18/5 forward when the squad was generated, and by a country mile the only player of the original team that I would want to have in any of my other teams. 256 games and 97 X11 appearances later, he's now a 32/14 who holds the only forward position in our Greatest 11. Tomorrow at 11.00 CET he will be sold to another club, since at 32 he is still worth quite some cash. It marks the definitive end of the first golden era of the club.
          That is a shame to see Tomoki go, Wouter – he's one of the greats of Major League X11.

United Underground's last original player, Shaun Southgate, retired some time ago now but the 'golden generation' with whom I built my squad inside our first 10 days of existence (12-22 February 2014) hopefully still has a little way to run yet. There's 7 who are key players still:

GK
          Larry Leyton 33/14 (signed for 47 700 econ as a 19/5, 14.2.14)
          192 games, 13 points (0 goals + 13 assists), 26 X11s

D
          Erhard Epping 33/14 (signed for 47 700 econ as a 19/5, 15.2.14)
          301 games, 28 points (14 goals + 14 assists), 85 X11s (10 captain), 4 merits (2 bronze, 2 silver)

Quentin Queensway
          33/15 (signed for 166 700 econ as a 19/5, 14.2.14)
          282 games, 29 points (7 goals + 22 assists), 40 X11s (1 captain), 2 merits (2 bronze)

MF
          Ernest Euston 34/14 (signed for 253 700 econ as a 20/6, 22.2.14)
          300 games, 102 points (36 goals + 66 assists), 53 X11s, 2 merits (1 bronze, 1 gold)

Graham Goodge Street
          34/14 (signed for 453 300 econ as a 20/6, 22.2.14)
          294 games, 92 points (36 goals + 56 assists), 55 X11s

Douglas Dollis Hill
          33/14 (signed for 194 200 econ as a 19/5, 14.2.14)
          293 games, 114 points (64 goals + 50 assists), 24 X11s, 5 merits (2 bronze, 2 silver, 1 gold)

F
          Paolo Pimlico 31/14 (signed for 79 500 econ as a 17/4, 20.2.14)
          282 games, 108 points (87 goals + 21 assists), 43 X11s, 5 merits (2 bronze, 2 silver, 1 gold)

That's a princely outlay of 1 242 800 econs (though heaven knows how much on cumulative training sessions, admittedly) for a combined 1,994 appearances, 486 scoring points (244 goals + 242 assists), 326 Xpert XI nominations, 18 individual merit medals and of course – since they've all been there for the whole run of success we've had – 42 major trophies between them.

However, Goodge Street has become the first of them to announce his retirement, and since all bar Pimlico are now 33 or 34 the end of the line is certainly coming into view. Average age issues mean it is now going to be very difficult to field them all at once, anyway, and mercifully we've got a decent bunch of players from the next 'wave' coming through to replace them. Will be interesting to see whether they can make a final stab at glory this coming season. I'm hoping to at least get Graham to 300 competitive appearances, after Epping then Euston became the first players in MLX history to reach the landmark during the playoffs just gone.

Here's the Top 20 current MLX players for all-time league appearances, incidentally, featuring 6 of the above (Leyton alternated with Martyn Marylebone for 10 seasons, hence his relatively low figure) plus the soon to depart Tomoki-san:

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            And Sugiyama is also going to fall just 1 short of 200 league appearances, I've just realised!

I do love how Fred-Elliot Bracepump has continued to thrive all this time at SCR as the sole survivor of Foxy's original Sockford Slovenly team, by the way.

Comment

Good to see KK players taking three of the top ten places in those appearance rankings. Like VA our last foundation player Aaron Pepper retired a little while back, but I wonder what those three old timers cost:

Eloniemi was 47,700 as a 19/5
              Slabutu was 246,500 as a 22/6
              Laker was 47,700 as a 21/6

Just shows even ordinary players are OK if you stick with them long enough. Nowadays I get sniffy about anyone lower than the 17/4 path. Probably very short-sighted, but I'm an accountant. It's The System.

Comment

Meanwhile Gloucester Old Spots have a grandstand (and nerve-wracking) finale to fight for a place in the Heineken top flight. First and second are sewn up, the Spots are third and Starchaser are a point behind. No one else can get the place.

And in the final game the Spots host... Starchaser.

Comment

Oscar Gineste, who's 10th on the list above, was part of the Corsaires Malouins starter squad and is still our (joint) most skilful midfielder, so he'll be carrying on for another season at least. 14 seasons of winning nothing is starting to get him down, though.

His stats:
                  Code:
                                          Apps  Subs   Gls
                  League                   171    20    28
                  Championship Play-Offs    14     2     3
                  Other Play-Offs           11     -     1
                  Kevchenko Cup             46     4     8
                                          ----------------
                  Total                    242    26    40

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    Just shows even ordinary players are OK if you stick with them long enough. Nowadays I get sniffy about anyone lower than the 17/4 path.
                    Yes! This is it, isn't it? I never imagined when I assembled that first-season squad for almost peanuts that they'd turn out the way they have, and achieve what they have. I suppose it is (or was) easier in MLX to bring them up so far because you get such a high proportion of 'bonus' games if you do well in the Cup and playoffs, so logically they should have managed notably higher cumulative DVs over the course of the last 14 seasons than a player of equivalent duration would've in, say, OTF or the Heineken.

All the best for the Spots' HLC1 finale meanwhile, Sits. Starchaser are Royal Atlantis' greatest nemeses, getting the better of us more often that not in our numerous clashes over the seasons – with a particular predilection for crucial late goals. (Ulysses' side in the Brythonnic Premiership, 13th Legion, also do this against Rædfearne Island, so it may be just me...) I was amazed when we beat them to promotion to the Premiership last season, and frankly given our head-to-head I wouldn't be too sad not to see them next season either so I'll have even more reason to cheer you on! One reason for that amazement though is that they also have a habit of coming good late in the campaign, as they have this time after a very poor start, so you'll need to be at your best to hold them off. Good luck.

Comment

So [don't you just hate it when someone starts a sentence with "So...."], if I want to start a team in the official Xpert league, is it the Golden League for me??

Comment

Anyone heard from Pebble? Last on X11 on the 12th.
                        Same for Jon, by the way, having just been catching up with the first round of action in the new OTF season. Hope they're both OK.

Opening day in the top-flight was remarkably free-scoring overall, wasn't it? Admittedly one 0-0 in there, but the other three were three-goal wins. Vita Mortis thus achieved the highly unusual feat of finishing the day 4th in the table despite winning 3-0 and having the same goal difference as all the top 3 – by ranking below all the others for three different reasons:
                        • Zeugmaspor (W 5-2) are ahead of us on goals scored,
                        • Eriskay Expression (W 0-3) are ahead of us on away results, and
                        • Amwythig Dragons (W 3-0) are ahead of us on alphabetical order.

I see D1 managed no fewer than three 0-0s, and only two out of the 10 sides scored... although they did manage 8 goals between them.

A special word, though, for Zeugma's 36-year-old midfielder Pete Kärki. He only signed last season, scoring three times and managing no assists at all in that campaign, before losing a skill bar at the CR and announcing his impending retirement. After Thursday, though, he sits top of the OTF player charts – scoring one and setting up all the other three goals for them in their 5-2 win over the Turds. And he looks like this:

Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                          So [don't you just hate it when someone starts a sentence with "So...."], if I want to start a team in the official Xpert league, is it the Golden League for me??
                          That's where you'll find most OTFers. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Cheers VA, he's our disco king.

SDR is going to be pressing the MLX button next time he logs on as we've got 64.

Comment

Heheh, he does look it, doesn't he?

Great news about the new MLX season, well done SdR.

So [don't you just hate it when someone starts a sentence with "So...."]
                              Yes.

...if I want to start a team in the official Xpert league, is it the Golden League for me??
                              There's certainly the highest density of OTFers there, by far – 12 or 13 people, I think – so you're more likely to get a derby sooner rather than later.

Etienne and I are both riding pretty high in the Ultimate League, though, so you'd of course be a welcome sight there. I think everyone else might be scattered singly: Janik's similarly positioned in the Master League, and Smallcaps (Wouter) is in the Dream League. Steve of Great Northern Railway is in the Classic League, Pebble's in the Xpert League, Gawpus is in the Power League. There may be a few others here and there!

Comment

Yeah, me and VA (and I think Mortal Joe) are in the Ultimate League, but the Golden League has the most OTFers. I'm far too attached to my team to give them up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                  Heheh, he does look it, doesn't he?

Great news about the new MLX season, well done SdR.

Yes.

There's certainly the highest density of OTFers there, by far – 12 or 13 people, I think – so you're more likely to get a derby sooner rather than later.

Etienne and I are both riding pretty high in the Ultimate League, though, so you'd of course be a welcome sight there. I think everyone else might be scattered singly: Janik's similarly positioned in the Master League, and Smallcaps (Wouter) is in the Dream League. Steve of Great Northern Railway is in the Classic League, Pebble's in the Xpert League, Gawpus is in the Power League. There may be a few others here and there!
                                  Encyclopaedic knowledge there, thanks VA. I'll have a look at the teams(/timescales) available....

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                    Yeah, me and VA (and I think Mortal Joe) are in the Ultimate League, but the Golden League has the most OTFers. I'm far too attached to my team to give them up though.
                                    Exactly, I'm in the same boat. I used to think I might hop over to join the crowd, but a.) I got more and more invested in Viking North Utsire, and b.) I cross over with the rest of the 'regulars' in so many other leagues anyway it's long since ceased to feel like I'm 'missing out' on the Golden League. It's nice to be off doing something in our own little space over in the Ultimate – even though it did take about a dozen seasons of near-misses to finally end up in the same division as you Etienne!

You made me doubt myself there re: Joe for a minute – I think he was in the UL too for a spell, but he's apparently at Fifth Column in the GL now. He does like to hop around official sides though, so I couldn't have told you that without consulting VNU's present Favourite Teams page.

Comment

Didn't seem to be much available in the Golden League, so I've taken over AS Roma in Ultimate League Division 4i.......

Comment

Fanned. That's something which at least can be done across the Pro Leagues. And of course we can all play each other when we reach the Xpert Champions' League.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          Ah, those were the days...

Comment

Didn't seem to be much available in the Golden League, so I've taken over AS Roma in Ultimate League Division 4i.......
                                            Great stuff jdsx, have also found and fanned you. That's not a bad side at all, and a club of some history too – I see they've actually been called AS. Roma (odd punctuation and all) for ten whole years, although the manager who gave them that name has been gone for seven of those, or 25 seasons now. The season before last they briefly reached Division 2 for the first time in their 40-season history, so there's certainly potential for you to get them moving up the pyramid once more before too long.

If you want any cheap young defenders, by the way, three(!) of mine are on the market right now – Rasmus, Robert and Roald. My academy has been prolific lately, but only to the tune of two 18/4s and one 19/5, none of whom I have room for in my squad, so do have a look...

Comment

Cheers VA. Surprisingly, there's not a free-kicker in the team, or even a hard-shot! I think I might need more than 19/5 free-kicker ;-) but there's not much out there within my budget!

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                Cheers VA, he's our disco king.

SDR is going to be pressing the MLX button next time he logs on as we've got 64.
                                                The manager of Edmonton resigned today so the MLX needs another manager, also VT needs to renew his VIP membership.

Wish I'd not said anything now.

Comment

Anyone heard from Pebble? Last on X11 on the 12th.
                                                  Went to A&E that very day for a side strain, only for them to start prodding elsewhere and finding I had tuberculosis, which I didn't realise existed any more. Two weeks later I'm still here, but today someone finally realised they had a spare iPad, so now I'm playing catch up. And they haven't sorted out my side strain yet.

Comment

Christ. At least your side strain got you in the right place. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X