X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd been watching a 19/5 mid on the transfer market for a couple of days. Had a nice couple of SQs, nothing special though (not FK), was on for ages at 152,000. Evaluated him, no hidden SQs, excellent compatibility.... Average price for similar players was something like 400,000. Deadline was this morning at 7.00am. I've already got a similar player and didn't really need another (!!), but I thought if I was awake at that time and nobody else had put an offer in, I'd try offering 152,000 or maybe even 252,000....well, ok perhaps 352,000 but that's my final offer.....
    Woke up at 6.50am, he was on at 1,352,000! Wtf? Does somebody seriously pay more than triple the average value for a more-or-less bog standard player? If he'd had a cone, I could understand....

Comment

Was one of his SQs Jester? Or Ice Cube?

You've reminded me of something I always forget to mention on here; those SQs don't seem to affect the "list price" even though Horse and Light Bulb, their closest equivalents do. So if that was the case, people might want to pay more than list for one of those SQs.

I like looking for transfer targets with those SQs because they tend at least to be cheaper to evaluate, even if it does mean they will probably go for higher than list price.

Comment

from memory he was jester, light bulb and quick. That's interesting, though, I thought the 'average value' took into account all visible SQs...
        There was a very similar 20/6 on later this morning, also excellent compatibility, which I almost never get, who went for something around a 'normal' value.... Didn't bid, but now wish I had.....

Comment

Never figured it out. Look on the market for a player with no SQs and the value is the same with one of Ice Cube or Jester.

Comment

A very up and down few hours for Lincolnshire Curly Coats in the Golden League. Lost a tight promotion play-off 1-0, then an excellent CR.

Plenty of jumps, two DJs and no retirements. Midfielder Óscar Pires Lima breaks new ground for me, now a 31/17. Wouter to thread; I know you like sharing my good CR news .

I'll settle for that deal. We spawned our way into 2nd place anyway and would have crashed and burned in Division 3.

Comment

Sits wrote: Plenty of jumps, two DJs and no retirements. Midfielder Óscar Pires Lima breaks new ground for me, now a 31/17. Wouter to thread; I know you like sharing my good CR news .
              If I had a 17-skill player in any of my team, I'd be sooooo happy.

Comment

I am.

Comment

Cool, I've never had one of those. Nice going Sits!

Comment

Whether it was worth the crazy fee I paid for him at 25 is another matter.

Comment

Blimey, I've never had anyone higher than 14.

Comment

I have 2 x 16 skill players in the Brockham Lime Works squad. 17 is quite something, you'll surely get fairly consistent match ratings of 20/21 from him next season.

Comment

Best I have is a 31/16 in my official league team.

A few 15s scattered around.

There are a couple of players I have who might make it though.

Comment

This is an intriguing subject for comparison. Here's the top-rated players each of my teams have ever had – most of whom are in the current squads:

Viking North Utsire 16 (x1) – MF Clive Whittingham, as of a couple of weeks ago. Also 15 x 4 currently (6 ever), 14 x 5.
                            Viking South Utsira 16 (x1) – MF Lurdes Quental, now back down to 15. Current: 15 (x4), 14 (x1)
                            Mars Rovers 14 (x1) – GK Edwin Triton
                            Royal Atlantis 14 (x1) – F Ali Khan, as of a few weeks ago.
                            Rædfearne Island 15 (x2) – D Shandman Greylash (ret.), D Keldo Ironcaster (ret.). Current: 14 (x2)
                            Sandringham Park Rovers 11 (x3) – D Katarina Witton-Wisdom, F Hon. Anne Offa-Gaine, F Constanza Ffray-Bentos (ret.)
                            Tiree Automatic 14 (x3) – D Ross Cromarty, MF Hamish Rockall, MF Cameron Plymouth
                            United Underground 14 (x4) – D Quentin Queensway, D Erhard Epping, MF Thierry Theydon Bois
                            Vita Mortis 14 (x2) – D Brynjar Snorrarsson, MF Gregor Crompton

Those at Rædfearne and Sandringham were bought in at or near their highest level, though Tiree's Plymouth was a 22/8 and Underground's Epping and Queensway arrived as 19/5s. Given that it's easier to get higher skill in the official leagues (male or female), the most relevant comparison with HO's best of 14 is to observe that the only time I've got above that in a private league is the Rædfearne pair – both of whom were bought as veteran 14-skillers and nudged up one. Ironcaster actually replaced Greylash, but I couldn't afford a further one after him for this last season... and we won the league. Go figure.

Most of the others were inherited at some stage of their progress when I took over various clubs. The Mortis pair, Theydon Bois and VNU's 29/15 MF Toralf Austrheim however have come right the way through from the youth academy.

Having spent a fair while now developing players from good youths I'm hoping there'll be a decent number across my roster who'll reach or supersede this level in the coming seasons. Leading the pack are Theydon Bois (25/14) and VNU's 25/15 D Birger Klovning, the latter of whom I'd bet on being my first 17-skilled player as he could get there as soon as the CR after next.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote: I have 2 x 16 skill players in the Brockham Lime Works squad. 17 is quite something, you'll surely get fairly consistent match ratings of 20/21 from him next season.
                              I've never topped 20 with any player, though about nine of my Viking teams' 16-/15-skillers have now hit that mark – Toralf Austrheim the latest, after scoring a brace in our season-opening win on Monday. I think one or both of my Rædfearne pair nudged it too, but I didn't screengrab either of their profiles before they retired so can't check their bests.

Comment

Well of course now I'll have to check mine.

HO - VA's right, big skills are easier in the Pro Leagues.

Curlies (Golden):
                                Hugh Callender (GK) 32/16. 17/5 Junior, 20/8 when I took over, best 20.
                                Óscar Pires Lima (MF) 31/17. Bought for 19m as a 25/13, best 21.

Swine (OTF):
                                Rogério Costa (MF) 29/13. Bought for 5m as a 21/8, best 17.

Cumberland (Combo):
                                Two 12 skillers, newish team.

Duroc (U23):
                                Three 13 skillers, newish team.

Old Spots (Heineken):
                                Matia Riesgo (DEF) 30/14. 16/3 Junior, best 18.
                                Bae Ryang (MF) 27/14. Bought for 4m as a 20/7, best 18.

KuneKune (MLX):
                                Andrei Slabutu (DEF) 33/13. Bought for 250k as a 22/6, best 18.
                                Juho Eloniemi (MF) 30/14. Bought for 47k as a 19/5, best 17.

Les Sangliers (Human):
                                Elvita Colon (MF) 35/12. Bought for 1m this season, best 14.

Warthogs (J4GL):
                                A 13 and a 12 (fairly new team).

Noirs (XPert Zone):
                                Aires Roma (MF) 32/15. Bought for 9m as a 26/12, best 20.
                                And three 14s, one now for sale.

Babirusas (Brythonnic):
                                Nikolas Wikman (MF) 35/15. Bought for 3m this season, best 17.

Comment

Evening all.

Highest skill levels I've had as follows -

Islay Inebriates (Golden) :
                                  Nabil Van Dalen (MID) 30/15 - still going strong. Doubt he'll jump again though.

Arran Artisans (Xpert)
                                  Marcus Gudjohnsen (MID) 34/16
                                  The squad currently contains Dirk Freund, a 26/14 with cone who may have a chance to reach 17 skill. Although I am seriously considering resigning from the Xpert League. Too many shenanigans with boosted teams.

Eriskay Expression
                                  Josh Shields (MID) 32/14
                                  Martinho Prates (DEF) 33/14
                                  Artie Browning (MID) 31/14
                                  I *think* that I've had Scott MacHendrie (GK) and Dennis Peters (MID) as 14 skill players in the dim and distant past but might be mistaken.

Comment

There are a few leagues run by OTFers where there is no nonsense with boosts Bill Bones, we'd love too have you.

I'm in a league with my ex students in Turkey and a quarter of the teams have had a double boost, I've not raised it yet but it makes a mockery of the competition.

Comment

I quite like the spice that having some bad guys to compete with in the Xpert Zone.

Comment

Just like real football.

We represent the teams below Everton. OK maybe we'll allow Everton.

Comment

And hello Bill. Yes the Human League would love to have you.

Vacancies Available Now!

Comment

Various Artist wrote:
                                            Originally posted by SouthdownRebel
                                            I have 2 x 16 skill players in the Brockham Lime Works squad. 17 is quite something, you'll surely get fairly consistent match ratings of 20/21 from him next season.
                                            I've never topped 20 with any player, though about nine of my Viking teams' 16-/15-skillers have now hit that mark – Toralf Austrheim the latest, after scoring a brace in our season-opening win on Monday. I think one or both of my Rædfearne pair nudged it too, but I didn't screengrab either of their profiles before they retired so can't check their bests.
                                            William Westhumble of Brockham has had 21s, though whether it's one or more than that I can't tell. Benjamin Betchworth is the same skill level but has never been higher than 20.

Comment

Sits wrote: And hello Bill. Yes the Human League would love to have you.

Vacancies Available Now!
                                              *Shoves Sits violently off the stage*

Hi Bill. MLX would also be honoured to have you on board, and we're about to open up a vacancy...

Comment

TOP BANTZ

Comment

*elbows SdR viciously into the orchestra pit*

Hi Bill, the Brythonnic Premiership would also be delighted to have you come on board, as we're creating two new divisions for the coming season via mergers, and some of the added teams will be in need of a new manager...

I have to say, mind, I rather agree with Etienne re the 'bad guys' thing in the Xpert Zone. It's a bastard to compete with, but it does add a certain je ne sais quoi having some teams to really properly hate.

Comment

I would retaliate, but this oboe isn't going to extract itself...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X