No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great stuff ad hoc, and some free advertising for the Human League too. I never realised you came up with the name.

Comment

Well it was a joint effort really, there was a lot of brainstorming and the Human League was my contribution. So I'm claiming credit for a team effort to be honest

Comment

It was indeed a team effort, but there are certain names named on the league homepage including ad hoc's naming credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          This evening's draw for Berkshire Swine will be against Vita Mortis. Actually I'd be delighted with a draw.
          <cough, splutter>

Comment

There we were thinking VA is all about the symmetry and then this happens.

Comment

And I kept my side of the deal too.

Comment

Oops! Sorry Sits, I think your poor porkers caught a bit of a Mortis backlash after a very trying couple of weeks or so. I know your absurd run of draws had to end somewhere, and I'm delighted to have snapped our bad run of form, but 4-0 felt a bit disproportionate to our respective managerial performances. Your missing a penalty just sums up your implausible difficulties in front of goal this season; it's got to turn around soon, surely?

It was peculiar timing, too, as yesterday was really the end of an era – Seymour Buckley, the last remaining Mortis Original and hence the last remaining player who'd come the whole way with me since I started out on my first day of playing Xpert Eleven in December 2013, was sold at 11pm last night. He went for a respectable (for a declining 36/12 on 2 form and DV of 1) figure of just over half a million econs, after receiving five bids since I made the reluctant yet ultimately firm decision to bring down the curtain on his 18-season career at the Hollows following our painful defeat to the Dragons a week ago.
                He finished on 354 matches -- the third highest extant total in the OTF league behind permanent partner-in-crime Gregor Crompton (367 and rising, but quitting at the end of this season) and Athletico Deva's Zdravko Dragas (366 and still hanging in there), although alas his final appearance was as an ineffectual sub in last Thursday's thrashing by Csiki Monkeys under our new media star ad hoc.

Great interview there AH, I enjoyed that and as AE says it's also some terrific advertising for The Human League. On the League Info page you do indeed have your name named for naming it, fully deserved too as it was a cracking suggestion that (as I recall) instantly broke the deadlock over some adequate-but-not-outstanding alternatives: it 'just felt right' from the word go.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                  There we were thinking VA is all about the symmetry and then this happens.
                  Speaking of symmetry, for the first time in ages I've started back on some designing this evening, as I've finally had a more up-to-date version of Photoshop Elements delivered today that's compatible with my newer computer.

Since I'd just challenged Hammerpot to a friendly at Sandringham Park Rovers next Saturday, for what will be a testimonial for Leila Windsor-Davies (who, in a strange piece of timing, is the last remaining Sandringham Original and last week announced her retirement at the end of this next season), it struck me that I've never followed through on a promise-of-sorts, SdR. When you got me to make you a badge for the then newly-founded Hammerpot WFC, I based it on the style of the real life Hammerpot Brewery's beer labels...

...but could only make it very bland as the brand new club didn't have any sort of character yet:

I'm sure I said at the time that I'd try to improve it once the club had acquired some history to work with, and ever since you won the league I've been thinking I should get around to at least putting a star on there or something. So tonight I've finally given it a quick wash and brush-up. If either of the below tweaks appeal (the left-hand one might feel a bit too 'Soviet' due to the combination of hammer-and-star iconography, hence the alternative!) then I hope you'll accept it with my compliments, and apologies for this taking so long:

Last edited by Various Artist; 20-02-2018, 01:31.

Comment

“Premium Sussex Football” - that’s great.

Comment

Oh, these are tremendous - thank you VA, and certainly no need to apologise. The new logo is now in place ready for our upcoming friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        I've set tactics for the Toucans' friendly, MLX Cup match and game 1 of the regular season. So I think they're all set to go back onto the market if that's ok.
                        I think it's worth pointing out that Kev returned, set the team up for one league game, buggered off again... and won Manager of the Round for that one game.

Comment

Comment

I was a bit dismayed the new season arrived when it did – "the Toucans' friendly" Kev mentions having set tactics for was meant to be last Saturday, against Underground. We were all set to bring out the bunting, but then it got superseded by Season 15 being kickstarted. The Cup was drawn for Friday night and regrettably the friendly vanished into the ether.

I think I wrote something about my former Trumpton Ironsides player Captain Flack bringing his side to town in my last PR, it was going to be like one of Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce's teams coming to Old Trafford in the latter part of Fergie's tenure, but alas we were denied.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                              Oh, these are tremendous - thank you VA, and certainly no need to apologise. The new logo is now in place ready for our upcoming friendly.
                              Oh, delighted you're pleased SdR. Looking forward to our friendly on Saturday, which I'm much hoping will help to get Sandringham's form at least semi into shape ready for our top-flight debut. We were casually overturned by Holkham in Wednesday's derby friendly, which hardly bodes well for the coming term.

Comment

I wonder, do Berkshire Swine owe their 1-0 away win at the Expression yesterday to Vita Mortis? After the Scythemen ended the pigs' drawing run with a 4-0 rogering at Stef Tolsma Arena, the decks were cleared.

Three points from a possible six are better than another two.

Little acorns, and all that.

Comment

What can I say? Any time, Sits. If you need to take a good hammering in our next meeting too then we'll unselfishly help out again, never fear. Five, six, seven goals, whatever you feel it's best you concede, just say the word, Mortis are there for you. It's what friends are for.

Comment

I think with Amwythig scoring five past Zeugmaspor inside 27 minutes that we may be in the end of days.

Comment

Was Flack actually the captain of Ironsides by the way?

Comment

Well, I feel sure I appointed him club captain when I took charge, even if he wasn't necessarily the on-field skipper...

Comment

Human League all ready for the kick-off, with what appears to be a full complement.

Comment

It's going to be a busy time for OTF's X11 cohort, starting about a month from now. Here are the coming season end dates:

27 March OTF
                                            1 April XPert
                                            16 April J4GL
                                            20 April MLX
                                            22 April Brythonnic
                                            30 April Human
                                            2 May Heineken

not including Pro leagues. We'll have to be careful through that peak J4GL - MLX - Brythonnic sequence, not to block our own evaluations.

Comment

http://www.xperteleven.com/team.aspx?TeamID=994467&dh=1

This is Sel_Ayan, the top ranked manager in Turkey. The link is for his official team. Forget about the offensive name but check out the transfers, how is he not cheating?

Comment

My Golden League youth academy gave me a 16/4 striker with 8 games left for him to play, all against zombies. If I can get him to 20/10 I'd be very happy.

Comment

The guy obviously spends all his time buying and selling players, but I can't see any transfers that look dodgy in themselves, and he doesn't seem to trade with the same 3 or 4 teams like Fenerbahce guy did. If he is cheating it's a more subtle one.

Comment

That name immediately raised a red flag somewhere in my memory, though. I was thinking he was the Fenerbahçe guy, but no I believe he just runs a bunch of teams called that as well. That was Avare, wasn't it? I've got a nagging feeling though there's some reason to be suspicious based on his past behaviour.

(That was all a bit vague and possibly slanderous, my apologies for that.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X