No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, that's weird, I'd just looked at Tobermory to see if you'd been on. Have you tried clearing your browser cache, doing a 'hard refresh' (Windows: Ctrl + F5, Mac: Command + R), etc?

If you do manage to get in within the next hour or thereabouts, feel free to send a last-minute (well, maybe not literally) friendly challenge to Tiree if you want to still – though only if you think it'd be useful for your form of course. I'll keep checking periodically up until 6 o'clock, so I won't miss anything hopefully.

Comment

He didn't get in...

Comment

No, I had to give up on the venture. Haven't tried yet today, so still none the wiser.

Comment

Oh dear I see you still haven't got in SDR. Got any other devices you could try?

© Useless Suggestions Inc. 2018

Comment

I was out all day yesterday, so didn't get a chance. Will try at work today.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
              I was out all day yesterday, so didn't get a chance. Will try at work today.
              I hope you were able to access it but that you didn't look at the MLX first as it would have spoiled your day.

Comment

I did, and I did. All three new managers have resigned again, which has undone all the recruitment effort of the last week or so. Yeah, it's pretty dispiriting, running the league is starting to feel impossible because the game is dying on its arse. I don't think I can be bothered with it any more.

Comment

And who can blame you?

In the OTF League Arda Gürkanoğlu, my keeper, got himself a two game ban after being sent off, he was also named keeper of the round despite only playing an hour. So for the next two rounds I'll either be delving into the transfer market or playing a striker in goal.

In the Heineken I lost the top of the table clash and now lead the title race by only six points and are ten points clear of fourth. I hope I don't fuck it up.

Comment

Have to admit SDR, I can't blame you either. Getting harder and harder.

Comment

Yeah, the MLX format just doesn't lend itself to a shrinking pool of managers. I don't think it's feasible that we'll ever get 64 again.

Comment

I've come to the same conclusion, the format of the league will have to change. Which is a shame, because I like it as it is.

I'm going to put a poll up this evening to canvas opinion.

Comment

I think in hindsight I must have overreached in expanding it to 64. Ever since then it's been a constant battle for the admin team on two fronts

(i) recruitment,
                          (ii) involvement in the postseason.

I think a managed reduction is a good idea, for what it's worth. The only downside I can see is that it ends up for some time as a number which is not a power of 2, so the MLX Cup requires teams to go through different numbers of rounds. But that's not unusual, and you can apply seeding for the first round so that you give byes to the teams who got the furthest in the previous season.

A smaller group of managers who get themselves involved in the theatre of it a bit more, take a bit of interest in how many times their team has won X, Y or Z, who has scored how many goals and all that would probably make the league a bit more fun again.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, I don't know whether to stick my oar in or not with MLX...

Comment

No, it's always useful Kev. 64 has been fine for the most part, but the frequency this problem is occurring is increasing rapidly. How long has it been since the owners ran their stream? I'd say maybe 8 months and so far as I know they've not shown their faces since. So it's no surprise people are giving up in droves and certainly not the fault of any of the league admins.

Comment

Iirc it was at Christmas so longer than that. I'll happily go with any other alternative. Is a merger possible in the future?

8 leagues of 7 does work as a stop gap.

Comment

FWIW 8 x 7 teams works best for me too, even just as a stopgap so further managers don't leave.

Comment

I've created a survey to canvas opinions in a more structured form. Would appreciate any input from current managers - if you log into your team, you should have a message containing the link, if not it's also posted on the scribble.

A merger might work, but I'm aware this might take weeks - first to find a suitable league and second to actually organise the merger. If I recall from mergers VA has organised for his leagues in the past, it's not quick as both leagues have to be between seasons for this to work. Additionally, I suspect it will be hard to find another CL-style league meaning one or the other would need to be willing to change format.

Running 8x7 is also an option, but I fear we'll be back in the same position again in a season or two. I'm open to the idea of making a more drastic change to solve the problem, but I don't want to 'JFDI' and upset everyone, hence the survey!

In conclusion, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Also, a merger runs the risk of bringing in too many managers who do not subscribe to the postseason spirit of MLX.

Comment

Oh, Doccy Doccy
                                      Doccy Doccy Doccy Dochi-a-nu

Comment

X11 Ladies Season 53, Matchday 1. And so the cycle begins again...

Code:
                                        Division 1a

Viking South Utsira	0 - 0	Sadnecessary

Division 3d

Drakaina		3 - 2	Partizan FC
                                        Heggarty 14'			Dahl 75'
                                        Petit 39', 85'			Björkander 90'

Division 4i

Gazzas Gals 		3 - 2	Erbil
                                        Truscott 3'			Hinton 42'
                                        Bath 54'			Bullock 61'
                                        Victory 63'

The Housewives 		1 - 0	LNWR Locomotive
                                        Twiny 77'

Division 4k

Flick of the Wrist 	0 - 0	Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC

Division 5:17

Hollyoaks Babes 	0 - 2	Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                                        				Wostijn 14'
                                        Bergskans (sent off) 92'	van Sttenberghe 89'

Division 5:19

Dynamo Dynamite		0 - 3	Sockford Emollient
                                        				Yasmim Branca 2'
                                        				Batistuta 31'
                                        				Ericson 35'

Division 5:28

Fossa Delle Leonesse	1 - 2	Menywod Maeshafn
                                        Pallottola 91'			Bellamont 10'
                                        				Boye 83'

Division 5:31

S Team			1 - 1	Csiki Girls
                                        Eder 68'			McInns 89'

Division 6:40

Arsenal LFC 		1 - 2	Ullapool Northern Star
                                        Krona 83'			Menashi 27'
                                        				Wendel 31'

Division 6:43

Solent Sirens		4 - 1	Almighty Ladies
                                        de Beauvoir 7'			Malpas 90'
                                        Stieglecker 20', 92'
                                        Norling 87'
                                        de Beauvoir (missed pen) 49'

Division 6:44

H------			2 - 0	Riverbankers WFC
                                        Boon 8'
                                        Michel 78'

Zenit Odenplan Ladies 	0 - 1	Witches of Chiswick
                                        				Black 59'

Division 6:53

Zeugma Dostluk Spor	0 - 2	K2O3
                                        				Anzai 31'
                                        				Salihovic 79'

Division 6:57

Dublin City WFC		1 - 3	Danis Ladies
                                        Kåmark 61'			Soares 19'
                                        				Coppinger 55'
                                        				Hellqvist 83'
                                        Viking South Utsira opened what looks like a watershed season at home to Sadnecessary.
                                        Blood Eagles boss Velvet Android has three impending retirements to deal with, one in each section of the pitch, though as Moa Jönsson and Manuças Fudida are both past their 38th birthdays it’s surely more that they were playing on for longer than expected than a nasty surprise that this is their last campaign. Magda Fevereiro hasn’t gone on quite so long, but even she is 35. Once these players hand up their boots it will leave just Loba Deparvada (who is 33) and Julie Alme as players not from the four native Utsiran families.
                                        Why am I talking about generalities in this report? Well, because on the field not much happened. Viking played on the counter-attack, didn’t allow Sadnecessary a shot, but couldn’t convert any of their own openings (four in total). Nil-nil. Not the most auspicious start, seeing as the visitors only just survived in Division 1a last term.

There were new surroundings for Drakaina (in terms of level rather than stadium) as they hosted their first Division 3d game. The visitors were Partizan FC.
                                        The Dragons were mostly in control in the first half, with 60% possession and four chances to Partizan’s two. That translated into a 2-0 interval lead thanks to strikes from Gael Heggarty on 14 minutes and Sandrine Petit after 39.
                                        Etienne’s side continued to hog the ball after the break, but Partizan’s counter-attacking tactics started to come to the fore as they began to create chances. That eventually resulted in a goal back on 75 minutes. However Drakaina’s possessional dominance meant they had their own opportunities in the second period, Petit seemingly putting the game to bed with her second of the day on 85 minutes.
                                        Seemingly, but not actually as the visitors kept on going and set up a grandstand finish with a strike in the 90th minute. There would be no equaliser though, The Dragons just flapping over the line after an open and exhausting match.

A feature of pyramids is the higher you go, the narrower they get. Which tends to concentrate any OTF sides into the same sections, such as Division 4i this season. That will feature two of our sides, both of them promoted last term.
                                        One of these was Erbil, who got underway at Gazzas Gals.
                                        It was an inauspicious start for Jdsx’s side as they fell behind after only 3 minutes play. The hosts also had lots of the ball, but Erbil stabilised under the onslaught to create a number of chances of their own on the counter and drew level in 42nd minute when Caroline Hinton headed home.
                                        The game continued to be open after the break, and could have gone either way. In the end it was the hosts who took it, a flurry of three goals between the 54th and 63rd minutes breaking two to one in favour of Gazzas, Sharyn Bullock getting the Erbil strike.
                                        The other side in this section will be LNWR Locomotive, whose first game was away at irritatingly named The Housewives.
                                        The Steamers suffered a first-half blow when key midfielder Phrigit Heart suffered a 16-day injury, which resulted in a 9-bar reduction in the strength of Viktor Boskovic’s attacking sextet. Prior to that LNWR had looked marginally on top, but this proved decisive as the hosts took over and converted their chances into a win in the 77th minute.

One more OTF side also made the jump from 5 to 4 last season, though given their stated geographical location Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC were always likely to end up in a different section, Division 4k in their case.
                                        The opening match was a case of plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose as The Sea Spirits visited Flick of the Wrist, i.e. the team they had been promoted from 5:21 with! Flick won the title battle last year, something it looked like SeanoftheShed’s charges would get revenge for as they were notably stronger across the 90 minutes. It just needed the goal to make it official... but that never came as the match ended scoreless.

Last season there were a glut of OTF teams in Division 5, but following a number of promotions and relegations the cohort here has shrunk. One to remain in situ were Coxy Ladies Wulpen, though they did move sideways from 5:16 to 5:17.
                                        The Waders opening game of Season 53 sent them to Hollyoaks Babes, a name I would complain about if their manager didn’t identify as female. Whatever the rationale behind the moniker, in terms of Football Wulpen were the head turners as the Flanders side controlled the match from start to finish. All that was really lacking for Janik’s team was efficient finishing, eight chances providing just goals from Aurelie Wostijn on 14 minutes and Eva van Sttenberghe on 89.
                                        That was enough, of course, but it could have been easier on the nerves with earlier goals, or indeed an earlier bath for Hollyoaks Inez Bergskans, who only picked up her second yellow of the day in stoppage time.

Sockford Emollient’s new abode after promotion last season is Division 5:19, and their first encounter in that was at Dynamo Dynamite.
                                        The Gatorsharks appeared determined to serve notice to their new opponents that they were a serious threat, Yasmim Branca firing them ahead inside two minutes. Forward Alexia Batistuta added a second for Foxy265’s side on 31 minutes and four minutes later the match was essentially over as a contest when Lotta Ericson rose to nod a third.
                                        Sockford pushed for more, but only vaguely as the three first half strikes proved enough to send the Framleyshire hordes home happy.

Having just missed out on promotion at the death last season, Menywod Maeshafn began their latest attempt away at Fossa Delle Leonesse.
                                        The match, which took place in Division 5:28 following a sideways move for the Welsh, got off to a positive start as Justine Bellamont fired them ahead in just the 10th minute. Thereafter the match was pretty even-steven, but without further addition to the score until Lisha Boye netted in the 83rd minute. Manager IsThatcherDeadYet’s attempt to sit back and relax was slightly undermined by Fossa pulling one back in stoppage time, but in reality it was too late for them to get anything from the game.

Casual followers of Csiki Girls must need to check the programme whenever they visit A kertem to figure out which Division Ad Hoc’s up-and-down side are in today. For the record, this season it’s Division 5:31, and an opening game at, um, S Team.
                                        The match wasn’t one of the Csiki’s finest performances at this level as they struggled to impose themselves on the game. Not even the hosts having their ‘keeper stretchered off and replaced by an outfield could help, as the Csiki’s failed to regularly test the stand-in. That was worrying once they fell behind midway through the second half (a direct free-kick by Eder - if the name fits...), but with the non-‘keeper in situ all it needed was one chance. The opportunity duly arrived in the 89th minute, and Saoirse McInns made no mistake to claim a draw.

Comment

Ullapool Northern Star have also been yo-yoing recently, their return to Division 6 landing them in 6:40 this time around, and also handing them an opening trip to Arsenal LFC.
                                          The season spent one tier higher will hopefully have added to the development of Delicatemoth’s side, and they were certainly efficient in this one, Sonia Menashi and Vanja Wendel finishing on 27 and 31 minutes respectively as three first half chances were converted into a 2-0 interval lead.
                                          Arsenal had the better of the second half, but could only pull one back in the 83rd minute as Northern Star showed their defence is also made of sturdy stuff these days.

A sideways transfer has shifted Solent Sirens to Division 6:43, their first match in their new section coming against Almighty Ladies.
                                          Andrew7610’s team took to the change comfortably, running up a two goal lead inside the opening twenty minutes as Simone de Beauvoir and Marlene Stieglecker scored. This was no more than The Sirens deserved for a dominant display, one that looked like it would get even better when they were awarded a 49th minute penalty. However de Beauvoir proved unable to do from 12 yards what she had achieved from 25 early, i.e. strike a dead ball directly into the net.
                                          That miss seemed to stall Solent’s momentum for much of the second half, up until young midfielder took personal charge by firing in a long range shot on 87 minutes. The value of this was clear nearly immediately, as it meant Almighty’s goal back in the 90th minute was never going to be more than a consolation, but just to make doubly sure Stieglecker headed her second of the day in stoppage time.

Also transferring were the other two OTF sides from Division 6:42 last season, both shifting across to 6:44 for this term.
                                          Riverbankers WFC’s first match pitted them against a crassly named outfit that I’m reducing to H------. Sadly Bankies manager SouthdownRebel was unable to log-on prior to the game, which resulted in a highly frustrating 2-0 victory for the sexist prat in charge of the opposition.
                                          Witches of Chiswick also find themselves in this section. They started their campaign in the road, with a trip to Zenit Odenplan Ladies.
                                          Bewitched manager Wiblflibl had some funds at his disposal prior to the season, and invested those in two very strong players: Salut Patiño, a 29/15 midifelder who arrived for 5+ million, and the rather more bargain signing of veteran forward Eilís Black for ~350k. Black began to return on that investment on her first league start as she netted the only goal of the game on 59 minutes, latching on to Pinko Suganuma’s through ball and racing away to score.
                                          It proved to be the winner and a justified one as Chiswick had had the better for both possession and chances. Fingers crossed that is the sign of things to come for them after a couple of seasons in the doldrums, and that Riverbankers can begin to climb away from the very foot of the table.

Two sides who had been relegated alongside each other met in Division 6:53 as Zeugma Dostluk Spor took on K2O3.
                                          It would prove to be a disappointing afternoon for Antepli Ejderha’s charges as Zeugma never really got going. K2O3 had already had a goal disallowed prior to taking the lead in the 31st minute, and added a second 11 minutes from time. The Insan Haklari Stadyumu crowd had nothing to shout about as their heroines didn’t even manage a shot in the 90 minutes.

Our final port of call this season will be Division 6:57 where we will find Mortal Joe’s Dublin City WFC side.
                                          The first match of the season saw The Dubs welcome Danis Ladies to Phoenix Park. Unfortunately Dublin took the Irish hospitality too far and were rather too accommodating to their visitors in the opening half, allowing six shots on Patrícia Inácio’s net. Given the number of opportunities the law of averages says one had to go in, which it did in the 19th minute.
                                          One became two on 55 minutes, and though Veronica Kåmark pulled one back soon after, heading in a 61st minute cross, Danis found the target once more late on to claim a win their play had merited.

Comment

Where is Pebble?

Comment

He has left Invisible Ladies. Who do still exist, contrary to the speculation up thread - they have a new active manager and are in with Solent Sirens.

Comment

Not heard from Pebble for some time. I kept his team in the Heineken protected for as long as I could but eventually had to concede that he wasn't coming back.
                                                It's a shame when somebody lets things go in this fashion rather than let you know they've had enough, but more than anything I just hope that everything is okay with him and we hear from him soon.

Comment

Meanwhile over at the MLX PuPi have been dealt a 10m econ ace from the youth system with a 16/4 FK midfielder just before the season starts.

Comment

'tightly bunched' would be a fair description of Div.2 ...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X