X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Dandy Town have a decent lead but wouldn't it be remarkable if Hornville become the first team to have won the OTF League as well as the OTF Cup?
    Stop it, Kevin! We're just taking it one game at a time etc etc.

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Haha, that's amazing. Did the players at the Bankside similarly spend 89 minutes chasing a phantom ball around after that supporter (was it a four-legged one?) ran off with it in the first minute or something?

An expensive point indeed, that's very harsh SdR. Hope the Bankies had the cash reserves to absorb that blow – I know it would have been a nasty one for VSU to take, say.
    Fortunately we have a fair reserve of cash at the moment, so it was more the principle of it than anything. And yes, I like the think that the club's mascot, Ollie the Otter, has safely hidden the match ball in his holt - hopefully for the rest of the season.

Comment

I thought our unbeaten season 2 years ago was remarkable. If Amwythig manage to do it again this season - and finish fourth which is where we are now, I reckon that'd be even more remarkable.

Comment

Ha. Jinxed that in spectacular style!

Comment

Well, if it's an unbeaten record you're looking for, there does happen to be one in the OTF.

Slowly turns away, whistling tunelessly.

Comment

I don't like the look of some of your squads lately Foxy.

By which I mean I do like the look of them. Objectively. If you get my drift.

Comment

What is the most spectacular and inexplicable collapse in our X11 experience? I admit I am thoroughly baffled by Hideous Towns' season.

First 8 games:
              W 6; D 2: L 0; F 12; A 3; Pts 20

Next 6 games:
              W 0; D 3; L 3; F 0 (that's 0); A 5; Pts 3

Comment

Banik had a similar sort of thing happen two season ago in the very same league:-

First 8 games:
                W 6; D 2; L 0; F 15; A 0; Pts 20

Next 5 games:
                W 1; D 1; L3; F 6; A 7; Pts 4

A bit more dominant (no goals conceded!) in the opening 8, and bit less beaten down in the next 5, but a roughly analogous fall from grace. It needed four wins from the last five games to scrape promotion.

Clearly a 6-2-0 start in Division 1 is a dangerous thing.

Comment

The Monkeys started this season 0-0-4 and so I thought maybe this is the season to finally accept that I'm really not competing here, play exclusively for DV, and try and rebuild from a division or two lower. So, that's what i have done. Since that time I have won 1, drawn 6 and lost 3 (of which 3 on two occasions I didn't get round to setting any tactics). It can be a baffling game sometimes.

Comment

Exit light
                    Enter night
                    Take my hand
                    We're off to never-never land

Comment

I'll await the PR keenly.

Comment

I'm not going to buy him, tempting though it is, I just got an instant earworm upon seeing his name.

Comment

That's the kind of player I wouldn't be able to resist buying - in the same way, if I found a Penny Lane or Eleanor Rigby for sale in the Xpert Ladies with good compatibility a bid would definitely be going in.

Comment

So against all expectations Kakanui KuneKune find themselves the sole OTF representatives in the Kevchenko Cup semis. The club is a basket case and has had a bit of an England In Russia run this far, needing penalties yesterday against North Windy Team. NWT's penalty misser was Ted Reliable, a throwback to their days as a Framley franchise.

In the semis we face Bish Bosh Bash, better on paper. I'm contemplating a bus parking and trust the remaining oldies in a shootout, but we'll see.

Comment

X11 Ladies Season 52, Matchday 8 report. Homeward bound!

Code:
                              Division 1a

Wælcyrie		3 - 0	Viking South Utsira
                              Grunnreis 46'
                              Rivalda 63'
                              Asinga 92'

Division 4i

Drakaina		1 - 0	Q.P.R Ladies
                              Petit 32'

Division 4p

Honey Badgers		0 - 0	Csiki Girls

Division 5:16

Erbil			2 - 1	Catalonia Nuns
                              Hinton 70'			Castillo 65'
                              Brundin 80'

Division 5:17

LNWR Locomotive		1 - 0	The Pretty Reckless
                              Nixon 90'

Division 5:18

Coxy Ladies Wulpen	3 - 1	La Milanesa
                              Vandenbergh 5'			Zanetti 20'
                              Leclercq 58'
                              Carey 92'

Division 5:19

Gregorys Girls		2 - 2	Ullapool Northern Star
                              Hamill (pen) 9'			Späth 35'
                              Jervis 91'			Menashi 72'

Division 5:21

Flick of the Wrist	1 - 0	Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                              Hope 89'

Division 5:27

Zeugma Dostluk Spor	3 - 0	BW Günthersdorf
                              Haywood 13'
                              Kurt 26'
                              Oxenstierna 80'

Division 5:29

The Anarchists		0 - 4	Dublin City WFC
                              				Dunganstown 19', 82'
                              				Kåmark 26'
                              				Isabel Carreto 72'

Menywod Maeshafn	0 - 1	Harley Quinns
                              				Pimentão 91'

Division 6:40

Sockford Emollient	2 - 1	Gibbo Rovers
                              Antonellini 56'			Lemos 90'
                              Duggan 92'			Beukenamp (sent off) 88'

Division 6:41

Chili Babes		6 - 1	Invisible Ladies
                              Jarlson 4', 64'			Parks 47'
                              Nutley 43', 66'
                              Mamina 50'
                              Hellgren 53'

Division 6:42

MSV Duisburg Damen	2 - 0	Witches of Chiswick
                              Linné 43'
                              Curle 80'

Solent Sirens		0 - 0	Riverbankers FC
                              Viking South Utsira won the first of their back-to-back meetings with Wælcyrie thanks to a finish that will be sung of in the halls of Valhalla forevermore, but would the return be as dramatic. In fact, could it possibly be?
                              There was no sign of outstanding happenings in a first half where Wælcyrie shaded possession but The Blood Eagles had the only chance. But seconds into the second-half a breakthrough... for Wælcyrie. Could Velvet Android’s girls get back in to it? Well, they created enough chances, but it was the hosts who struck again on 63 minutes.
                              After the events of seven days previously, the Fólkvangr Field didn’t relax until their side added a third in stoppage time. It was a result that left VSU fifth in the Division 1a standings, six points behind Wælcyrie (who have climbed to second) but a useful five points ahead of sixth.

A 1-0 win for Drakaina at Q.P.R Ladies in week 7 had kept The Dragons hot on the heels of the Division 4i leaders, but could they move ahead with the flip match?
                              The Greeks were certainly pushing for the win, dominating possession in the first half and converting one of their two chances of the period on 32 minutes, Sandrine Petit providing the finishing touch. Etienne’s side had trailed leaders Gretna Girls by only one goal scored prior to the match, so they went hunting more in determined fashion. A number of chances were created, but somehow the QPR defence always got a body in the way, and when they didn’t Ariadne Kavazis saw what would have been a first career strike disallowed.
                              That meant it finished 1-0 again, as did Gretna’s game, so The Dragons remain level on points and goal difference but behind by dint of having found the target (legally) one time fewer. The gap back to third is four points.

Csiki Girls were looking to stop a recent slide in result that included a home defeat against Honey Badgers last time out.
                              The return was a tight affair, but it was one where Csiki Girls were clearly the stronger side as manager ad hoc’s tactics worked perfectly. The only real question was whether they could turn possessional dominance and a slight edge in chances into the 1-0 away win their play merited.
                              It turned out they couldn’t, and had to settle for a draw and a point. Still it was a good away point, and the game may have served a higher moral purpose as soon after it the Honey Badgers boss resigned. Hopefully his replacement will be less of a knuckle-dragger and won’t clad their team in a crop top kit.
                              The moral victory (i.e. draw!) didn’t move Csiki Girls any places up the Division 4p standings – they remain sixth and due to a result elsewhere are now two points from the safety line.

Despite a run of two points from three league games, Erbil remained top of Division 5:16 ahead of the visit of Catalonia Nuns.
                              Jdsx’s side’s chances of breaking out of the rut took a seemingly heavy blow early on when skipper Saga Isgren was carried off with a horrid 20-day knock. Her presence is likely to be seriously missed. Indeed it looked like that would be the case in this match when Catalonia took the lead on 65 minutes with their first (and eventually only) shot of the game.
                              Fortuantely Erbil didn’t feel sorry for themselves or rushed by this opener, and drew level just five minutes later when Caroline Hinton fired home. The exchange of goals meant that momentum was now on the home side, and they rode this to victory when Sandra Brundin completed the turnaround in the 80th minute with a direct free-kick.
                              There was also good news for Erbil from elsewhere in 5:16 as their nearest rivals lost, meaning their lead at the summit now stands at one point with third another point back.

LNWR Locomotive hammered The Pretty Reckless 5-1 away in the first meeting of the sides, which was not an eyebrow-raising result considering The Steamers lead Division 5:17 and Pretty Reckless sat bottom. So the Mollington Street crowd were expectant before the immediate return.
                              And that despite manager Viktor Boskovic categorically stating to anyone who would listen that it wouldn’t be as easy in the return. The fans and media took that with a pinch of salt, particularly when Tekla Severinsson had the ball in the net within two minutes. Yes, it was ruled out, but everyone settled back and waited to be entertained. And waited. And waited...
                              Locomotive were finding it very hard going this time despite having lots of the ball, creating just one first half chance. Which was as many as their visitors made, with Reckless also having a goal disallowed along the way. The same pattern pertained after the break, with the home crowd getting pretty restless, particularly when it was the visitors who were creating the few chances going.
                              The match was still level approaching stoppage time, when LNWR were awarded a free-kick in shooting range. Charlotte Nixon took responsibility and slammed the ball home to general sighs of relief. The Steamers would have stayed top anyway, but her strike means their advantage has grown to three points over second placed Watergate Bay Surfers.

On matchday seven Coxy Ladies Wulpen faced a La Milanesa side whose manager had been appointed but hadn’t shown up. By matchday 8, their opponents were without a boss again as the new broom had came, saw and left a day or two later.
                              When Laetitia Vandenbergh put The Waders a goal up in 5 minutes and Charlotte Beyen followed it with a second strike three minutes later, an easy day looked in prospect for Janik’s side. However Beyen’s ‘goal’ was ruled out and things got more difficult as Milan grabbed an equaliser against the run of play.
                              It remain all square until close to the hour mark, despite Wulpen having much the better of general play. They got their reward for that on 58 minutes when Alicia Leclercq headed them ahead again, but The Curlew’s Next fans wouldn’t feel safe until deep into stoppage time when Zara Carey made it three.
                              The win didn’t see Coxy Ladies move any spots up the Division 5:18 table, they remain third. That was because the top-of-the-table match produced the only result that could keep them there, but this wasn’t necessarily a bad thing as it means the Belgians are now only a point from the summit.

Ullapool Northern Star took a surprise point off Division 5:19 leaders Gregorys Girls on the North Atlantic coast last week, but could they repeat or indeed improve on that in the rather more cosmopolitan setting of the outskirts of Cumbernauld? Remember, this is a relative description!
                              The hosts were certainly seeking to make that the case, as they must have looked at the previous game as two points lost. The Abronhill Park faithful would therefore have been settling down to watch revenge play out following their side taking the lead with a 9th minute penalty.
                              Gregorys Girls pushed on after that with a second goal seeming likely. But not how it came, Babette Späth rising to meet a cross from Sonia Menashi and head Northern Star level in the 35th minute. That was totally out of the blue. It emboldened Ullapool though, and Delicatemoth’s side struck again after 72, Menashi the scorer this time following a corner.
                              That put the Highlanders on course for an extraordinary win, and they got within touching distance of it before the hosts levelled in stoppage time much to the relief of the agitated home crowd. Having the cup dashed away from their lips so late must have been painful for Ullapool who are of course still looking for their first victory in the league this campaign, but in the wider picture their performances in these two games bode really well for the future. They may not get out of relegation trouble this season, the gap to safety is a large one as it stands at six points, but if they can play like this in the remaining six games it might be possible. And also if they can take this level forwards into next season, then even if DM’s girls are back in Division 6 they will be a very strong contender to bounce straight back.

Comment

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC snatched a point completely against the run of play against Flick of the Wrist in the first meeting of the sides (1-1 from 1-7 chances), but that was at home. Would The Sea Spirits be able to repeat the same heroics away? Or indeed would SeanoftheShed’s side put in a more competitive performance?
                                Well, yes to the later as Kanjeng matched Flick in general play this time, more than matched them in fact as the Indonesians had 56-57% possession throughout and chances were evenly split at 2-2. However the heroics bit was not quite in place as this time it was Flick’s turn to score a late goal, and in this match it was the only one.
                                So the two top-of-the-table clashes produced one heavily tipped towards Flick of the Wrist and one closely fought encounter. Results were one draw and one defeat for The Sea Goddesses. So about fair really, even if the way it came about was rather odd. The net result of it all was that Kanjeng are now three points and -2 GD adrift of the Division 5:21 summit, and only one point and +3 GD ahead of third.

Having finally got the no wins monkey off their backs last week, Zeugma Dostluk Spor were looking to double-up against BW Günthersdorf on Tuesday.
                                The logn term absence of the Günthersdorf manager meant he was sacked on the day of the game, though whether this came before or after the match is unclear and doesn’t really matter; there was no guiding hand on the tiller either way. Bizarrely, the same guy has now resumed control, which, like a horror movie monster, is the third time he has been kicked out and then rose seemingly from the dead.
                                That all happened after this game though, which was straightforward for Antepli Ejderha’s side. They dominated possession, created regular chances and gave none up, and were two ahead by the interval after goals from Peg Haywood (13 minutes) and Latife Kurt (26). 17 year-old forward Kurt’s strike was the first of her professional career.
                                Zeugma’s control was not affected by the half-time break, and they added a third with 10 minutes to play when Liv Oxenstierna fired home. The win lifted Zeugma up to fifth and out of the Division 5:27 drop zone for the first time in a number of weeks, though they are only clear on goal difference. And have played the pointless and goalless bottom feeders first in the second half, so are a little ahead of the curve having been behind it in the first set of matches.

Also off the mark for wins in the last match of the first were Dublin City WFC, who were therefore also looking to double-up against The Anarchists.
                                The Black Flag wavers were appropriately enough without a boss, the previous incumbent having moved on over a month ago. However X11 doesn’t think kindly of anarcho-syndicalist communes and generally makes them shamble about murmuring “brains!”, the reactionary bastards. Dublin’s players were not bothered with such political thoughts though – they simply wanted to win a Football match. They were on their way to doing so from the 19th minute, when Brady Dunganstown long ranger pearler fired them into the lead. Another shot from distance doubled the advantage in the 26th minute, Veronica Kåmark the player responsible.
                                Mortal Joe’s players created a boatload of chances in the first half along with those two goals, and the opportunities kept coming after the break. They were eventually rewarded with two more strikes, Ana Isabel Carreto heading a third on 72 minutes and Dunganstown making it four after 82.
                                Elsewhere in the same section Menywod Maeshafn were looking for revenge against Harley Quinns after the Welsh outfit were beaten in the first meeting of the sides.
                                IsThactherDeadYet’s girls were also looking to turn around a loss in form that had seen them beaten twice on the bounce having previously not loss in league or cup all season (Maeshafn were knocked out of the Cup on away goals after two draws). Unfortunately, despite controlling large swathes of possession, Maesahfn just couldn’t create a goal scoring opportunity. And the Quinns could, though it took until the first minute of second-half stoppage time before they converted one. It would prove to be the winning goal.
                                The effect of those results on the Division 5:29 table was to drop Maeshafn down to fourth place, two point off the play-offs and three behind the Quinns, who are the new leaders. Meanwhile Dublin’s second straight win wasn’t enough to advance them from their current seventh place, but it did get them within striking distance of doing so next week.

Sockford Emollient somewhat stole a point in their first top-of-the-table showdown with Division 6:40 leaders Gibbo Rovers. Could they go even better when hostilities recommenced in Framleyshire?
                                The first half was a dull affair, with almost nothing to keep the John Spencer Street crowd from their slumber. However they were to be royally entertained in a second period that had pretty well everything. The first indication that things were going to be different was when Gibbo had a goal disallowed on 52 minutes and The Gatorsharks took advantage to go ahead themselves four minutes later, Donya Antonellini pouncing on a ball after a corner to fire in.
                                That set the tone for a half of lots of chances. They were split in a 2:1 ratio in favour of Foxy265’s side, somewhat weirdly as possession was the other way with Gibbo having two-thirds of the ball. Despite the slew of opportunities, the score remained 1-0 going into the last few minutes when Sockford got a boost as Gibbo’s Anna Beukenamp saw shown a second yellow card. Ahead, against ten men, it just needed a goal to seal the match and two minutes after the red it arrived... for Gibbo!
                                The Gatorsharks were spurred into furious attacking by this, and were rewarded in the 92nd minute when Toni Duggan let fly from range and arrowed her shot into the top corner. This time there would be no response, as Sockford (who remain second) closed the gap between the sides to just two points. Third-placed AFC Wimbledon are also hard on The Gatorsharks heels, trailing by only goal difference.

The promotion hopes of Invisible Ladies moreorless died with defeat against Chili Babes in the last match of the opening half of the season. Unfortunately there appeared to be a hangover from that as the return was just a painful experience for Pebblethefish’s side.
                                Chili Babes dominated the first half and were slightly undersold by their 2-0 interval lead. The first action after the break was The See-Throughs pulling one back, Sandie Parks firing in from a corner on 47 minutes. This proved to be tweaking the tiger’s tail as Chili Babes responded with a four-goal blast over the next 20 minutes.
                                The See-Throughs lost a place in the Division 6:41 table in the aftermath to sit fifth. They are nine points off the play-offs with just 18 left to play for.

Witches of Chiswick picked up an excellent win over title chasing MSV Duisburg Damen, but would things be the same at the mouth of the Ruhr?
                                The Bewitched were swimming against the current in the first half as Duisburg held the upper hand in terms of possession. Wibflibl’s side nearly got to the interval all square, but with halftime cuppas approaching they were caught out by an unexpected shot from distance. That left them chasing the game, which in turn resulted in more chances for Duisburg and a killer second on 80 minutes.
                                Solent Sirens and Riverbankers FC played out an eye-bleed goalless draw on matchday 7 at The Bankside Ground when literally nothing happened. The return at Mayfield Park had to be better, surely? I mean it was basically impossible to be worse...
                                That sentence didn’t consider the possibility of it being exactly the same, which was what we got in the first 45 minutes as the sides made it 135 of action-free stalemate. But then, on 46 minutes, an event! A substitution for Solent (Ann-Sofie Sander replaced Paulina Lotoft). Hmm. 50 minutes, a yellow card for Riverbankers Victoria Shutt for a tackle from behind. 55, another change by Andrew7610, bringing Ana Djorovic on for Eva Sundén. Sundén would get minorly injured on 76 minutes but complete the game. That came 3 minutes after the sole notable playing incident of the entire pair of matches, The Siren’s Marlene Stieglecker putting a powerful headers on the Bankies goal which beat Anastasia Myznikova but not the post.
                                And once again that was that. A good point for SouthdownRebel’s side, but another blow to Solent’s promotion hopes. It leaves them five points behind Division 6:42 leaders Rotnäset and four adrift of Duisburg, who currently occupy the play-off spot. Chiswick are a further four points and one place back in fifth, whilst Riverbankers remain bottom but are now within a point of seventh and have some momentum (two games unbeaten, two clean sheets in a row) on their side.

Comment

X11 Ladies Cup R5. Neutral ground.

Code:
                                  Drakaina		1 - 1	JAV Idols FC
                                  Atum (pen) 112'		A.E.T.	Kidzuki 98'

JAV Idols win 5-4 on penalties
                                  The last OTF side standing in this season’s X11 Ladies Cup were Drakaina. Their opponents in Round 5 were JAV Idols FC who operate at Division 2 level in the league.
                                  The 90 minutes was a tight affair, which JAV might argue they shaded on possession though chances were pretty even. Extra-time continued in the same vein, and on 98 minutes JAV broke through. One goal is normally enough in extra-time on X11 (nearly golden, let’s say), but The Dragons kept going and were rewarded for this in the 112th minute when they were awarded a penalty. The responsibility fell on regular taker Silvia Atum, and she was coolness personified as she fired home.
                                  That took it to a shoot-out, and Drakaina were first up, which meant another Atum effort. Unfortunately this time she couldn’t repeat the trick. Roseanne Beattie, Alicia Keyshinhas, Fionulla Mourne and Amalia Merckx all scored to keep Etienne’s side in with a chance until the end, but this time it was JAV Idols who were staunch, putting all five of their spot kicks away to progress to the next round.
                                  Drakaina have only progressed once beyond the fifth round in club history, so this was one of their best ever runs. But now, it’s back to the bread-and-butter in the league.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't even bother watching the shoot-out. You're never going to win one against a good team with a reserve keeper.

Comment

Really appreciate your review of the Riverbanker's high octane play, Janik, thanks. That yellow card had the fans jabbering in excited tones in the bar after the game, I can tell you. One was said to have fainted in the stands as the referee went to her notebook and had to be helped to the first aid hut.

Comment

Talking of borefests, why can't I add a comment under Hideous Towns latest blank? I wanted to note the peculiarity in a side having over half of the Divisional X11 selection and still somehow not winning!

Comment

Me neither - I think non-VIPs can only comment on their own team's matches. I don't know if this is a change in features.

I've just twigged, looking at the league table, that we are safe in Division 2 with three games to spare, so that's rather nice.

Comment

Well I never knew that about game comments. I think it's new. There are typically a flurry of comments under a title-deciding game.

Comment

My arithmetic was a bit off... We still need a point. Eep.

Comment

Whilst relaxing on a beach with pina coladas all round, Whoft Fluffopolis have been crowned Division 3 champions. 2 more games to become Invincibles.

Comment

Nice work Foxy. Just don’t let them overdo it.

Comment

Advance warning for the Brythonnic and Human League admins - I'll probably resign from those teams at the end of the season. Struggling a bit at the minute and have missed most recent selections so I want to cut back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X