No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about – it was only when I went to write Vita Mortis' PR for this week (which has been entirely devoid of activity at The Hollows) last night that I twigged the new season is not only drawn up, but kicks off today! We're entertaining the Dragons this afternoon so will just have to suck it and see.

Meanwhile, if anyone's free to temporarily add the Brythonnic Premiership to their roster of clubs, I need just one manager right now to step in briefly to make it a complete set of 110 and be able to set up our own new season. Any volunteers?!

http://www.xperteleven.com/leagueInf...Lid=71956&dh=2

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      All set for season 51 then, folks?
      Well, considering the Swine kick off against the Dandies, and their last friendly was a 4-1 defeat by the Dandies....

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        Just about – it was only when I went to write Vita Mortis' PR for this week (which has been entirely devoid of activity at The Hollows) last night that I twigged the new season is not only drawn up, but kicks off today! We're entertaining the Dragons this afternoon so will just have to suck it and see.

Meanwhile, if anyone's free to temporarily add the Brythonnic Premiership to their roster of clubs, I need just one manager right now to step in briefly to make it a complete set of 110 and be able to set up our own new season. Any volunteers?!

http://www.xperteleven.com/leagueInf...Lid=71956&dh=2
        Application for Pumping Iron in.

Comment

Marvellous, thanks a million Kev – amazingly everyone else in the league held tight and I've been able to set the new season up without any delay. I'll kick you straight back out again forthwith, with my grateful appreciation of course.

Delicatemoth, you're now free to go whenever you choose – all the best, thanks for your patience and please remember you'll always be welcome back if you want to return at any point.

Comment

No, but it's nothing that can't be sorted by 20m econs

Comment

I've got the screenshot to prove that Four Candles were top of the league....just for three days....(winky thing)

Comment

VA, you'll have to inactivate me from Huy Arduinna, game won't let me resign.

Comment

Ah, yes I tend to think that managers can resign of their own accord up until the opening match is played, but this appears not to be the case. Will do it right now, and the same for Kev!

Comment

Cheers VA, I got as far as collecting sponsor money.

Comment

Nice one mate, it all helps. Hopefully they'll be able to find a new permanent manager soon.

Comment

Today, I get the green envelope of promise on the Four Candles page... And is it yet another ‘recommended player’ who has already, in the brief couple of hours between the message arriving and me opening it, already far exceeded my limited econs budget? No, it’s a talented player from my 5-star Youth Academy! Joy! Rapture! And who is he? Another bloody 19-year-old, 4-skilled keeper….

Comment

Remember that funding the YA increases the average number of bars your youths come with, but it has no impact on the ages, which are random.

Comment

Well the rules are a little confusing on that point, I believe...
                            It is true that they say:
                            "The investments have no effect on the frequency of the talent offers or the age of the talents or special qualities of the talents. That is the same for all no matter how much you invest. The investments only affect the skill of the talents."
                            However, in relation to the graph relating to 17yo talents and the amount invested, the rules also say:
                            "For old talents the graph will be better than displayed in the image and for young talents the graph won't be as good as in the image." I take that to mean that, on the whole, a 19yo will likely have a better skill level than a 16yo... No? Otherwise we would see a 16/6 from time to time, surely....
                            EDIT, sorry I slightly misread the rules/graphs, but even so, the rules clearly say "The following image (i.e. of 17yo talents) shows the skill of the 17 year old talents handed out on different max levels. This image is disclosed just to confirm that young talents in general will have slightly lower skill compared to old talents."
                            Last edited by jdsx; 19-09-2018, 13:53.

Comment

Yes, you're right, there's clearly some weighting going on per age level or else 16/6s would be as common as 20/6s.

Hang in there jdsx, the law of averages says you'll get some better youths along to counterbalance the dross eventually. Gambler's fallacy says that if the last few were rubbish the next one'll be great, of course, but even if it doesn't quite work like that the chances are that if you invest highly enough for long enough some good ones will arrive.
                              Vita Mortis for instance hadn't had anything much come through for a while, but just had a 17/4 French striker turn up last night. Having only given my close-season arrival of a 19/5 French striker one game so far (obviously) it's actually annoyingly soon, but since the new arrival's solitary SQ is the Oscar his resale value is only around 300k, so I might as well keep him for the time being and see if I can use both of them this season.

Comment

Meanwhile, it's hit me that the MLX Championship is decided in only an hour's time. United Underground are in our first Grand Final for 11 seasons, but are up against the might of Velours Vandals Vatican who look pretty unstoppable. We beat them in the Season 13 Cup Final, a classic encounter that pitted the winners of the previous three Cups against each other, and knocked them out of the playoffs in the quarters the same season, but they've been taken over since then by RebelRebel who's given them another tremendous crack of the whip this season. He beat me way back in the Season 2 Grand Final with Rabat Rebels, so both sides have what could be called unfinished business!

Adding it up, I think this must be Underground's 11th major final:

Season 1 Championship v Toco Toucans (lost, AET)
                                Season 2 Championship v Rabat Rebels (lost, pens)
                                Season 3 Cup v Radomiak Radom Randoms (won)
                                Season 4 Championship v Zalec Zmaj (lost, pens)
                                Season 5 Championship v Blank Space (won)
                                Season 6 Cup v Pulau Pinang (won, pens)
                                Season 6 Championship v Gotham City (won, pens)
                                Season 12 Cup v Iko Ka Kansai (won, pens)
                                Season 13 Cup v Velours Vandals Vatican (won, pens)
                                Season 15 Cup v Gotham City (won, pens)

So after that infamously slow start, losing three of the first four Grand Finals by agonisingly close margins, we're trying to become the first MLX club ever to win a third league title, going for our eighth major trophy, for our seventh straight win in final appearances, and possibly our sixth in a row on penalties. Five of our squad have been present for all 11 of those finals: goalkeeper Larry Leyton, defenders Erhard Epping and Quentin Queensway, and midfielders Ernest Euston and Douglas Dollis Hill – all of them now 35 except 36-year-old Euston. For both Epping and Dollis Hill this is the end of the line at last, as tonight's final is the only game left before they each retire. The other three will all lose skill after the Change Report and could potentially all announce their retirements en masse in a couple of days' time. Certainly we'll be effectively shorn of all five come next season thus we'll not be in any shape to challenge again imminently, so this really is the last great hurrah for my magnificent ever-present veterans.

Sod's law says this is where we lose one, of course. If it does come down to spot-kicks yet again, we're stuffed, as VVV have the 18-skilled Tullius Octopus in between the posts. OK, I suppose they did last time too, but even so I'd be considerably happier just getting over the winning line in normal time for once...

Tactics are set, fingers are crossed. By my reckoning, this should be the link for anyone wanting to 'watch' the game spoiler-free from 7pm UK time onwards:

Season 17 MLX Championship Grand Final
                                United Underground v Velours Vandals Vatican
                                Last edited by Various Artist; 19-09-2018, 17:29.

Comment

Impressive record VA, frankly I know where my money's going this evening...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    a 17/4 French striker
                                    Never heard of that hidden quality. Given the example of the two French World Cup winning squads, I assume that being French makes the striker horribly unable to score, but boosts his midfielder teammates.

Comment

[spoiler]Yes! UU win once more on penalties, despite a freakily high match rating of VVV's goalkeeper. Excellent use of the timed substitution in the 120th minute there by VA, subbing off the young defender for another geriatric one with many skill bars. The average age in defense was 33.75 for that final minute, but the subbed-on defender converted his penalty, so this paid off handsomely.[/spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                        Yes! UU win once more on penalties, despite a freakily high match rating of VVV's goalkeeper. Excellent use of the timed substitution in the 120th minute there by VA, subbing off the young defender for another geriatric one with many skill bars. The average age in defense was 33.75 for that final minute, but the subbed-on defender converted his penalty, so this paid off handsomely.
                                        I can't quite believe it – penalties again?!? And we somehow got past Tullius Octopus again. I had to play both retirees Epping and Dollis Hill from the start, for possibly the first time all season, because they were on green arrows while the people who 'should' have played – Queensway and Euston respectively – were on red arrows. Queensway's was because he missed a penalty in normal time during the semi-final, so I thought having him take one during a shootout was a huge risk – but yes, he came on especially for the shootout and rewarded me for my faith in him. I had to try to get all the old codgers in there together one last time!

I didn't trust Erhard Epping to take the first kick, mind, even though I'd promoted him ahead of Queensway in the order after the semis: at the last minute while setting my tactics I moved Thierry Theydon Bois right up to take the opening penalty as he's our most skilful player and was in great form, so I decided he was our best chance of getting out of the blocks fast. Erhard stuck the second one away with aplomb, though, then his old mate Quentin had the balls to put his miss in the last game behind him and do the same. Milo Mornington Crescent arguably had the crucial job of putting us ahead for the first time after Larry Leyton saved VVV's fourth attempt. And for Douglas Dollis Hill to score the title-winning penalty kick with the final act of his career... well, stupid as it may sound, I actually feel a bit emotional.

What a ride it's been since Season 1, and what a perfect ending for the players who've made it all the way through with me.

[spoilers removed!]
                                        Last edited by Various Artist; 20-09-2018, 10:11.

Comment

I think it's safe now - well done VA, rolling back the seasons, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            Talking of the Human League, a big showdown for Les Sangliers this evening as they attempt to stave off Great Ouse Town. Kev's old charges are being far too well managed by RebelRebel.
                                            The above now reads as hubris, considering there is no mention of Suffragette City. Who yesterday thumped Les Sangliers 4-1 to squish up the title race and make it a three horse one.

Comment

Congrats to VA and United Underground.

Comment

Thanks gents, it's a huge relief to bag this one while we had all our veterans still just about hanging in there. We somehow managed to get the team strength, late-season momentum and funds all on our side, which is a holy trinity of factors that MLX doesn't often grace one with simultaneously.

Meanwhile, over in the OTF it's a top-of-the-league clash this evening between Fork Four Candles and Vita Mortis. I bet no-one saw that particular scenario coming!

Comment

Oof, two home defeats to open the season for us. Going to be a struggle.

Comment

I keep not having time to set tactics, so I dread to think how today's fixtures went.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X