X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Meanwhile, over in the OTF it's a top-of-the-league clash this evening between Fork Four Candles and Vita Mortis. I bet no-one saw that particular scenario coming!
    Nor indeed that we'd still both be top of the table after the match, VA....

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
      I keep not having time to set tactics, so I dread to think how today's fixtures went.
      I'm afraid it didn't go well.... but how come you have time to post on OTF? Time to sort your priorities out, SdR....

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
        Nor indeed that we'd still both be top of the table after the match, VA....
        Hah! Indeed. I've just watched the match now and was amazed to see the way the other top-flight scorelines went. There's one game in particular for which the term 'daylight robbery' seems frankly inadequate, but it certainly makes the table interesting...

Comment

Table, interesting? Really?

<wanders off muttering to self>

Comment

There's one game in particular for which the term 'daylight robbery' seems frankly inadequate
            Yeah, we was robbed...

Comment

wtf?

"Capel Bethesda has been noticed, and not just for their fine footballing skills! A major brassiere manufacturer's designers have been attending all of Capel Bethesda's home matches and have specially designed a new sports bra for well-endowed female athletes. Your players look and play so well in them, you get a new sponsor who not only names the new bra "Keepie Uppie" but donates 202 500 econ to your club."

Comment

Sigh. Crap like that still keeps slipping through occasionally, doesn't it? You could report it to the support crew, e.g. Wayne or Uncle_wilf or Daisy_D.

Comment

Is the one about the calendar still knocking around?

Comment

Hang in there jdsx, the law of averages says you'll get some better youths along to counterbalance the dross eventually. Gambler's fallacy says that if the last few were rubbish the next one'll be great, of course, but even if it doesn't quite work like that the chances are that if you invest highly enough for long enough some good ones will arrive.
                    Ah you must be psychic, VA, for this morning the Four Candles YA produces a 17/4 keeper, vanilla apart from the cone of greatness. Now I just need to decide whether I can possibly play such a young/low-skilled keeper in the top division, or just try to sell him.... (That's if I can spare the time from thinking about Quisquiliae XI's future sales/buys after the change report of course...)

Comment

The higher level you are playing in, the easier it is to get experience for a young keeper. If he's got good form you'll probably only need to play him a couple of times to get enough DV. The difficulty is that you will have to commit to doing that for another 5-6 seasons before he's going to be anything other than a liability. If you do though, in 10-12 seasons you'll have probably about the strongest keeper in the league.

Three DJs and no retirements for ZZ. Woop.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                        The higher level you are playing in, the easier it is to get experience for a young keeper. If he's got good form you'll probably only need to play him a couple of times to get enough DV. The difficulty is that you will have to commit to doing that for another 5-6 seasons before he's going to be anything other than a liability. If you do though, in 10-12 seasons you'll have probably about the strongest keeper in the league.
                        10-12 seasons? Might just take the money then...!

Comment

Well, a good, realistic progression for a keeper might be:
                          Season 1 - 17/4
                          2 - 18/5
                          3 - 19/7
                          4 - 20/8
                          5 - 21/9
                          6 - 22/10
                          7 - 23/11
                          8 - 24/11
                          9 - 25/12
                          10 - 26/13

I guess it just depends on what level you want/need your keeper to be at - obviously if you can compensate for a young keeper by bringing in a high skill veteran defender too

Comment

Yeah I was just looking at Vita Mortis's Wilbur Greenwood to see how he 'developed'....
                            Anyway, I won't be playing him against the Dragons, Etienne, sorry.....(winky thing)

Comment

Hah! Indeed. I've just watched the match now and was amazed to see the way the other top-flight scorelines went. There's one game in particular for which the term 'daylight robbery' seems frankly inadequate, but it certainly makes the table interesting...
                              Or even highway robbery perhaps. To be fair to Roystonov the Dandy Town defence were a bit of a shambles, and I've had to put up with worse muggings in the past, usually when the Zeugmabus came to town.

Comment

Regarding goalkeepers, every Dandy Town goalie who has stuck around for the long term has come through the youth system and been developed alongside a senior keeper. Right now I'm waiting on a youth to come through as back up to Cuarto Raúl.
                                I also checked every one of my other teams and every keeper I have has either come through the youth system or been bought as a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                  Well, a good, realistic progression for a keeper might be:
                                  Season 1 - 17/4
                                  2 - 18/5
                                  3 - 19/7
                                  4 - 20/8
                                  5 - 21/9
                                  6 - 22/10
                                  7 - 23/11
                                  8 - 24/11
                                  9 - 25/12
                                  10 - 26/13

I guess it just depends on what level you want/need your keeper to be at - obviously if you can compensate for a young keeper by bringing in a high skill veteran defender too
                                  That's pretty much Arda Gürkanoğlu there iirc.

Just checked, he's a 29/16 from a 17/4. Two double jumps and two seasons of no movements.
                                  Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 22-09-2018, 07:48.

Comment

What's this i hear about a Zeugmabus? That's not existed for seasons. Hence the Dragons no longer having us as a bogey team seeing as we're all about entertainment now.

Comment

I for one welcome your newfound unpredictability. I won't miss those games facing a 5-4-1 VD set up with a midfield full of aggression issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                        I for one welcome your newfound unpredictability. I won't miss those games facing a 5-4-1 VD set up with a midfield full of aggression issues.
                                        I don't remember playing 5 at the back but we did have a little bit of spike back in the day in front of a securely parked bus. Sometimes that was at home but almost always away.

This season we're going kamikaze again, all out attack in every match so expect some goals. Our recent friendlies showed there's potential in this system.

Comment

The Swine's Joost van Rijswijck also came in as a17/4 and is now 28/16 after two DJs and one standstill. To be fair he spent his younger seasons in lower divisions. I'm not sure how I'd manage blooding a 17/4 goalie in the top flight.

The 28/16 isn't helping us much at present, mind.

Comment

I have to say, whilst it removes a human element, it's been truly liberating not doing PRs. Mind you I may have to do one for Les Sangliers today to fund a last-ditch lunge for the finish.

Dropping one team with another to go this week, I will try seven teams; Xpert Zone to stay and J4GL to go - sorry VA. But I'm enjoying a bit more balance in my spare time TBH.

Comment

Bastard. Ah well, I'll forgive you for leaving us again in the J4GL.

Eventually.

Comment

Yeah I was just looking at Vita Mortis's Wilbur Greenwood to see how he 'developed'....
                                                Wilbur Greenwood is arguably, pound-for-pound, the best development I've managed of a player in X11. I've got two other 17-skillers across my roster, but Birger Klovning (D) at Viking North Utsire is in the official leagues where it's easier to develop players, and Thierry Theydon Bois (MF) is at United Underground and there's potentially a lot of 'bonus' games (cup, postseason playoffs) in MLX to aid development. Greenwood is out on his own in terms of 'regular' leagues, and in his second season at 17 skill is also out on his own among current OTF league players.

His development to date:
                                                18/5 (plays 13 games this season)
                                                19/6 (12)
                                                20/8 (9)
                                                21/9 (24!)
                                                22/10 (14)
                                                23/11 (15)
                                                24/12 (22)
                                                25/13 (22)
                                                26/14 (18)
                                                27/15 (18)
                                                28/16 (12)
                                                29/16 (9)
                                                30/17 (14)
                                                31/17 (1+)

As can be seen, he succeeded Bill Love as our regular keeper aged 21, then those four seasons aged 24-27 where he played every match doubtless helped keep his run of skilljumps going – and we won the league in Season 45 when Wilbur was 25 then came within minutes of retaining it the next season. More recently though he's been sharing with Howard Stant, who has an equally good (if not better) set of SQs so has had to get a lot of game-time as well.

He's off to a decent but unspectacular start:
                                                18/5 (6 games)
                                                19/6 (9)
                                                20/8 (4)
                                                21/8 (1+)

– so as can be seen I've already failed to follow up his early double jump, due to not being able to find him enough appearances last season, meaning he'll likely struggle to hit the same eventual heights.

I've been keeping an interested eye for some time now on Arga Gürkanoğlu and Joost van Rijswijck, who are on very similar paths to Greenwood's only two or three seasons behind, so I have no doubt they'll reach a similar maximum. The Dragons' legend Eugene Astle was always the benchmark for me in developing Wilbur, as in the early days of me playing this game Etienne propelled him to age/skill combinations (22/10, that sort of thing) I hadn't even imagined previously. As I think I've mentioned previously on here, it was quite a proud day at Vita Mortis when Greenwood overtook his ageing hero for the first time, about five seasons back.

Comment

Ah you must be psychic, VA, for this morning the Four Candles YA produces a 17/4 keeper, vanilla apart from the cone of greatness. Now I just need to decide whether I can possibly play such a young/low-skilled keeper in the top division, or just try to sell him....
                                                  I hope you can keep and develop him, anyway. As Etienne notes, a goalie like that is in with a great chance of reaching a very high skill eventually – and you're starting from a year younger than I did with Greenwood. For what it's worth, by the way, other than his very first season Wilbur's entire career has been spent in the top flight, so it is certainly doable.

Mortis' own youth academy has uncorked somewhat since the end of last season, meanwhile. We had 19/5 Horsey, Speedy, French (not an SQ, alas, despite Wouter's speculation when I mentioned it the other day) forward Jules Verte after the CR, then another French striker in 17/4 Edmond Bleuet four nights ago; then as soon as I switched the academy to a midfielder and randomly selected Italian it promptly gave me one of those too last night. The newest arrival is the rather excellently named 16/3 Giacomo Gabbiadini. With five teenagers and nine players aged 23 or under we now have the youngest squad in the top flight by two years, apparently!
                                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 23-09-2018, 11:48. Reason: Verte, not Verne. Although the latter was admittedly in my thoughts when I named him...

Comment

A heavy recruitment drive is underway in MLX now with SIX teams to find new managers for - if any of our lurking VIPers are not already in the league, now's the time to jump in!

Sits, I wanted to create a post on THL's forum thread for private leagues but there isn't one - do you mind if I create one?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X