X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    And MOF - what do you do with all your cash apart from training and bonuses? Training and bonuses I suppose.
    Yeah, that's about it really.

Comment

Or Caja-Dglh...

Comment

Belated congratulations, with apologies for tardiness, to VA for United Underground's thrill-a-minute vistory in the Kevchenko Cup Final over Velours Vatican Vandals. What a game.

Comment

Thanks Sits, I took over 24 hours to get around to watching the game myself so I only discovered about 14 hours ago what happened. Gobsmacked, frankly – we created little until snatching a 91st-minute equaliser, then looked to have blown it by not taking advantage of our majority of extra-time possession, even when they were reduced to 10 men for the final minutes. Thought we didn't have a snowball's chance up against VVV's 16-skill (8-armed) keeper Tullius Octopus if it came to penalties, and in fact it took another 10 minutes for me to watch it as I got called away before the shootout, during which I was still mentally composing my congratulations to the victor! Was left dumbfounded by our actually winning it.

Four MLX Cups now altogether for UU, which is a pretty satisfying haul after not claiming any silverware for six seasons until last season's cup – and it keeps up our surreal record of winning it every single time we've gone deep into the competition. We'll probably go out in the second round again next time. Was also pleasing as it makes Underground's recent 'second coming' look less of a fluke, which a one-off Cup win might have suggested... Our mini second wave of players, integrated during the period since our Double during which our original veterans have retired, have started to reach maturity and to be able to more or less hold their end up in big games – meaning we've put together what has been our most convincing overall campaign since Season 5, by some way. In that sense it was rather nice that two of them combined for the stoppage-time leveller, 22/10 MF Hugo Highgate setting up 23/11 F Floyd Fairlop from a last-ditch corner kick.

Friday was probably our last best chance of a trophy for the time being, too: VVV for one will be a much stronger side going forward, as they're already outgunning us with their best 11, have more strength in depth and most scarily all their best players are still only 27, 28. If they keep the whole cohort going then in three seasons' time they'll have a squad stuffed with around ten 30/16s, whereas I can only expect to have one player at that level, Thierry Theydon Bois. Almost all my other best players (Leyton, Epping, Queensway, Euston, Goodge Street, Dollis Hill) are 31, 32 and hitting their peak, having been there since Season 1. What servants they've been, though!

Comment

Over in the Xpert Ladies, Sean has just handed me my worst ever defeat in X11 - a 1-7 home mauling.

I was rubbish at this game when I started out, and have got progressively worse as time wears on.

Comment

That was some scoreline. To be fair I don't think the final score truly reflects the respective team ratings. We probably deserved the win but that was a second round of an official league cup score. Some performance by Tia Farisy hitting a double hat trick, though.

Comment

I was having a think. Does anyone in the OTF League object to Bruise tactics, even in unimportant games? I have the attitude that it's not real, so it's all part of the fun, but I don't like to tread on toes. A real filthy epic can make for a good press release also.

This query is in no way connected with the number of Excelsior players who have the Hulk SQ.

I'm enjoying both my squads and looking forward to the OTF change report in particular.

Comment

Heh. I tend to subscribe to the theory that's it's a legitimate practice as it's part and parcel of the game, but not really cricket to do it in say an end-of-season dead rubber – speaking, apart from anything, from somewhat bitter experience of having had several of my (yes, imaginary) players quite badly fucked up in such circumstances. Ultimately, of course, it's down to you though DM.

Andrew & Sean, I had your score up 'live' while watching Viking South Utsira's game earlier, and that was quite an eyewatering scoreline. Hadn't realised it was a double hat-trick though, bloody hell. And I see it septupled Tia Farisy's goals tally for the season, too!!
                  Last edited by Various Artist; 10-10-2017, 22:52. Reason: "Farley"? Farisy, even.

Comment

I should say, not having been around in this thread for some weeks, massive kudos as ever to Janik for his mighty Xpert Ladies round-ups (rounds-up?), which remain as terrific as ever. In case you're reading, Janik, and in a mood of journalistic enquiry, there's been a brewing side-story at VSU of late. As noted in my PR the other day, the situation after last week's league match was this:
                    ...Lurdes Quental swept home the winner just after half-time from Loba Deparvada's throughball. It was goal number 144 in Utsiran colours for the midfield star, taking her one ahead of fellow Portuguese veteran Manuças Fudida's 143 in their remarkable neck-and-neck race to catch the all-time club record of 145 set in far-off days of yore by Britta Andersson.
                    Considering I thought quite seriously about offloading long-running superstar Quental at the start of last season, sidelining her for what proved to be all of about two weeks before deciding we needed her after all, she's been pretty great again ever since and made me very relieved I changed my mind. Her race with Fudida to overtake a record that had stood inviolate since roughly the Stone Age (not that that's entirely over, in the Xpert Ladies...) has certainly lent a frisson of extra drama to our recent matches, regardless of our indifferent form.
                    Last edited by Various Artist; 10-10-2017, 22:32.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                      I was having a think. Does anyone in the OTF League object to Bruise tactics, even in unimportant games? I have the attitude that it's not real, so it's all part of the fun, but I don't like to tread on toes. A real filthy epic can make for a good press release also.
                      I have no problem with that at all. If an end-of-season dead rubber comes up, I might contact the opposing manager to establish a mutual non-bruising agreement. In the absence of such an agreement, bruise away!

Comment

I used to use it a lot, but over time I've learned that it can just as easily backfire and result in your own player getting crocked. Not to mention carded. But it's absolutely your call DM - Bruiser Beware. Well, actually Opponemt Beware too. But it's part of the game, and designed to help you if you use it with a low-H ref, and especially if you have a few Hulks.

Comment

I never play Bruise but have no problems with anyone playing it against me, in any context. Easy-going, me.

Generally, I enjoy getting injuries as it gives me a reason to play the youngsters.

Comment

As I am playing bruise when the right referee is there, I am fine with it, playing it when the ref allowed it. I agree with Sits that the use of bruise really can backfire, but I don't mind because I got serious injuries also with both teams playing cautious. The "most funny" injury I got was for Quentin Bubb in The Unsung Heroes team. I put him in a pre-season friendly, totally forgetting that he was slightly injured. In this last friendly before the season he was slightly injured again and got a serious injury for 21 days. So I don't mind if my players are crocked in bruised, normal or cautious mode. What happens happens.

Comment

For further discussion as to whether bruise is an acceptable tactic you can always go and join the debate with the Welsh and Irish posters over on the European World Cup qualifiers thread.

Comment

^ applause

Slowly getting back to grips with this. Thanks to SdR's excellent tenure, Nyth Wobbegong in the Brythonnic were in a good place in any case and now sit in the promotion spots. Had no real expectations, other than relegation, for The Framley Okapi XI in HLC4, but we did manage our first victory of the season on Monday. Other teams - Teds Wombles in the GL, Flapton Nogley in the Human League, Gaffney Globular in MLX and Ghastly St Michael in the XZ are very much work in progress and will take a couple of seasons before we can have any thoughts of promotion.

Comment

As our official season is finished now with the Crumlin Chasers in the MLX, I will post the post CR DV of the team. And I am not sure how that happened, but our goalie Gisli Atlason managed to get 20 DV with an average form of 14, he had 19 DV before the game tonight. This is the first time ever that this has happened to one of my players. We might be relegated and the rest of the change report might be crappy, but this was really nice. I hope he will get a double jump.

Okay, this time it did not work, but I am working on it.

http://nimb.ws/GaxJRL

After the umpteenth try, i only managed to get the screenshot via a link. don't ask me why it did not work for the last time.
                                  Last edited by MortalJoe; 11-10-2017, 18:59.

Comment

Were you going for this?

Did you get far in the cup this season?

If you play young players in every single match of the season, they can get a DV which is much higher than their average form. Cup games add just a bonus to that. My personal record is DV = AF+5, so your keeper getting DV = AF+7 is quite something.

Comment

I should of course have said that 20 DV, made up of AF+7, is Prapassterous.

Comment

How do you get the numerical 'F(AF)' column, MJ?
                                        Congrats on the 20DV, by the way!

Comment

Well done Joe.

I've never understood average form. I just look at form, the arrow and the DV.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                            How do you get the numerical 'F(AF)' column, MJ?
                                            Congrats on the 20DV, by the way!
                                            There's a firefox plugin to enhance your X11 statting. Only fully works when you're VIP.

Comment

After much spreadsheeting, the post-season fixtures for MLX are now up. Gaffney Globular are the "lucky" team to get a walkover - of three teams without a manager, two ended up drawn against each other. I think we'll have other walkovers again, I know of at least one manager who hasn't logged in for a month.

Recruitment is starting to get very difficult - many of those who have joined the league recently haven't stayed around long. Count me as now firmly among those who have concluded the game is being allowed to die by the owners.

Comment

That's incredible, Joe. Even if he is 17 and playing all the games, an AF of 13 would make me imagine a DV of about 16. 18 or 19 would seem pretty insane, 20 is unbelievable. Especially with your keeper ending on pretty low form and a red arrow – I'd assume that if the season went on one game longer he'd start losing DV. Well done indeed.

I tried that Firefox plugin for a bit last year. It stopped working again after a while so I forgot about it. It was quite interesting but I'm not sure it really made a difference to my game at all – for example I can read the current/average form bars perfectly well, I found having the numeric column added was superfluous and cluttered things up. The feature I enjoyed the most was having all the players' current values listed in the right-most column, as that's something you can't readily collate otherwise.

Comment

Feel free to advertise MLX "officially" in the Human League SDR. I know how hard it is to recruit these days. THL was meant to be about 80 Strong by now under Plan A. It's been at 50 for ages now.

Meanwhile the Swine ran into the 'bus yesterday. But for the record they did not cause the Red Cross to our best midfielder.

Comment

Will do, thanks Sits. Happy to offer the same in return of course

Comment

Working...
                                                    X