• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acts that you love one album by...

Thanks AdC, will do.

Comment

Generation X – the first album. A blistering explosion of pop punk, rarely equalled by anyone else before or since. They lost their focus a bit after that, so that although they still came up with one or two decent tracks, they never matched that perfect debut.

Catherine Wheel – Ferment. Just about faultless, with every track flowing perfectly from one to the next. I love many more of their efforts, but that is the only wholly satisfying album.

King Crimson – Red. You weren't supposed to like every track on a Crimson album, that was almost the point, but this album almost spawned its own genre and contains their true masterpiece, Starless.

Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible. This is the only album where they got everything exactly right – in truly devastating fashion.

Suede – Night Thoughts. Song-wise easily their best, topped by the achingly beautiful I Don't Know How To Reach You. Richard Oakes really owns this album and obliterates all memories of Bernard Butler with some expansive guitar playing. Spoiled only by over use of the silly vocal processing tricks, which the album would have been better off without.

Comment

Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55.

Its my favourite album ever, so on the back of that, I got the follow-up 'IRM.' Written and produced by Beck, it didn't have the spontaneity of '5.55', and came off a bit pretentious(ish).

Comment

Aha Shake Heartbreak by Kings of Leon, which I love. The first album had some good tunes, but the rest of their output has just been shit.

Comment

Boz Scaggs - "Silk Degrees"
            Joe Jackson - "Look Sharp"
            Cashmere - "Cashmere"
            Meat Loaf - "Bat Out Of Hell"

Comment

The Electric Soft Parade - Holes In The Wall

Still brilliant. Shame about the others.

Comment

Mogwai Young Team.

Comment

U2 – Achtung Baby

The first Kings of Leon LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Mogwai Young Team.
                    Just fucking whoa there

Comment

I don’t mind Come on Die Young, but it’s a bit meh in comparison. Nothing past My Father my King really did it for me.

Comment

I don’t mind Come on Die Young, but it’s a bit meh in comparison. Nothing past My Father my King really did it for me.
                        Heh - beauty is in the eye of etc......

Comment

Keeping it Scotch, the Beta Band’s Three EPS still sounds great. First proper album and Hot Shots II, not so much. That bollocks about smoking and having a big pizza pie with the world, fuckin hippies man.

Comment

Mercury Rev- See you on the Other Side. Maybe only 20 people bought it but it’s just wonderful. The way it can segue from Tin Pan Alley maudlin 30s sounding to DISCO pastiche, just great. Yer mans voice is ok in it too. Deserters Songs by contrast sounded fucking vile, vocals production and all. So of course it’s their big album. They really only had one moment of not shit once the “Kerazzy” singer left after Boces. And it was a shining moment most bands never get near.

Comment

The Cult - Sonic Temple.

Now I know that puts me in a minority, but tough. It is a great rock album.

Comment

Keeping it Scotch, the Beta Band’s Three EPS still sounds great. First proper album and Hot Shots II, not so much. That bollocks about smoking and having a big pizza pie with the world, fuckin hippies man.
                                I don't think it's fair to define Hot Shots II on the basis of those lines, drippy hippy stuff though they are. I love it as an album, and some of the songs (mainly Al Sharp, Gone and Quiet) are just beautiful. It's an album that offers a different, but still legitimate, aspect of the band from the Three EPs.

I wouldn't do without the Three EPs either, mind. Whether it's an album as such is another question, though not one I'm that bothered by.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                  Just fucking whoa there
                                  x2

Comment

Gang of Four “Entertainment”
                                    Au Pairs “Playing with a Different Sex” (great sleeve pic)
                                    Neither band did anything much afterwards, really.
                                    The idea of Go4 as a funk band worked, but “I Love a Man in a Uniform” lacks tune and he ends up shouting it. I bet they both honed these songs live then had to rush a 2nd album out from half- written ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                    X