Acts that you love one album by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...but the rest of their output - for you - comes nowhere near that release.

For me, I suppose the obvious candidate is the (currently touring) Shriekback. Their second release, 'Care' blew me away at the time, but the subsequent albums did very little for me.

I have been thinking about this all day, and it's tough.

I was going to say The Monochrome Set, but the one album I love is a compilation, so doesn't really count. Perhaps The Strokes would be a good fit, but I think their best song is "Juicebox" which isn't on "Is This It?", so maybe not.

So, I'm stuck. But wait: along comes The Streets in the nick of time with "Original Pirate Material" and I have a winner.

Comment

Magazine - Real Life
      Haircut 100 - Pelican West
      Spearmint - A Week Away.
      Kid Creole - Tropical Gangsters
      Shack - HMS Fable

Comment

Blanck Mass - Blanck Mass

Comment

British Sea Power - The Decline Of British Sea Power
          (actually, Man Of Aran is quite good too, so...)
          Metronomy - The English Riviera

Comment

ABC - Lexicon Of Love

Daryl Hall - Sacred Songs

Rick James - Street Songs

Dexys - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels

Comment

Dexys and ABC are both good calls from TTDD. Oasis's Definitely Maybe and perhaps the Foo Fighters' debut would be among the more obvious shouts, too.

Dawn Of The Replicants produced a great first album but couldn't really follow it up - and, still too 'new' perhaps, but Temples are in danger of falling into this category too. Their debut, Sun Structures, was pretty strong (especially the fabulous Colours to Life), but the latest, Volcano, is more than a little disappointing, IMO.

Comment

Barclay James Harvest - Everyone is everybody else

Randy Newman - Good Old Boys (I know he's a brilliant songwriter but I was never fussed on him as a performer apart from this one which I love)

Comment

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
                  Pop Will Eat Itself - This Is The Day, This Is The Hour, This Is This

Comment

Well I never...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                      Dawn Of The Replicants produced a great first album but couldn't really follow it up.
                      I found the bloody CD had cracked in the case while stored in my car. Gutted, especially because it isn't on spotify over here.

Comment

I feel your pain. (And I had a spare copy of it until 5-6 years ago!)

Should be able to come by a CD via eBay or similar though?

Comment

84 cents on discogs... I feel we are in a minority.

Comment

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: ABC - Lexicon Of Love
                            Basically, 'yes'.

But Beauty Stab is a marvelous album if you just pretend it's not ABC.

Comment

Asia / Asia

But they kept churning them out for years with diminishing returns.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                Originally posted by Tramp The Dirt Down
                                ABC - Lexicon Of Love
                                Basically, 'yes'.
                                But Beauty Stab is a marvelous album if you just pretend it's not ABC.
                                Alphabet City is damn fine, and I liked How To Be A ... Zillionaire!.

Comment

Phil Collins' Face Value was a very good, original solo album. The rest of his oeuvre was absolute unadulterated shite. In fact, worse than that.

I'm with Gero on The Strokes and The Streets' OPM; I saw the latter live on that tour, they were amazing.

Comment

And The Icicle Works' eponymous first album, which hinted at all sorts of possibilities. Then they got bombastic, and boring.

Comment

They're all coming back; Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star. Genius, but have never got into anything else he's done.

Comment

Love - Forever Changes

Comment

U2 – Achtung Baby

Comment

Some people swear by Da Capo, never heard it. Tbh I'm not interested in a spiky garage Love, it's the strings against the weirdness I loved on Forever Changes. Folk recommending it are usually Bobby Gillespie style "iconic, (but obvious as fuck Mojo anointed - ooh Sun Ra, wow) man" collector bores.

Comment

The Psychedelic Furs- Debut Album
                                              Terence Trent Darby-Introducing.....
                                              The Delays-Faded Seaside Glamour
                                              The Pet Shop Boys- Please
                                              Aerosmith-Toys In The Attic

Comment

Sundeporino wrote: The Pet Shop Boys- Please
                                                I was going to start tutting but, in truth, I could manage pretty well with just Introspective and one of the singles collections.

Culturcide - Tacky Souvenirs Of Pre-Revolutionary America

This is someone shouting new anti-capitalist lyrics and playing noisy guitar over the original recordings of various 1980s pop smashes. Unsurprisingly legal difficulties ensued, making the album quite hard to come by, although John Peel used to play tracks from it way back when. Having long forgotten about it, a cheap German CD reissue crossed my path on eBay a few weeks ago and I jumped in. To be honest, I'm not even sure whether they ever made another album, who they were, etc.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: Some people swear by Da Capo, never heard it. Tbh I'm not interested in a spiky garage Love, it's the strings against the weirdness I loved on Forever Changes. Folk recommending it are usually Bobby Gillespie style "iconic, (but obvious as fuck Mojo anointed - ooh Sun Ra, wow) man" collector bores.
                                                  Unlike their first album Da Capo isn't that garage-y. Side two can be ignored as it's a single dull jam track . Side one, however, may be the best thing they did. It's very eclectic with lots of Spanish, Jazz and folk influences to balance the out and out rock of Seven and Seven is. Trust me. You should give it a listen

Comment

Working...
                                                  X