Manchester & London - Serious Incidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been in the centre since just before midnight.

When I arrived we were over at Victoria and it was very hysteric, with a mixture of those who were at the concert, those who had come to help, and a strange amount of people who had turned up just to be appalled. After helping with most of them, we then got moved away as they were doing the detonation by the football museum.

By then most people had gone, and we moved over to Piccadilly.

Had a trickle of people throughout the night, trying to track people down. Strangely, they were more inquisitive than emotional.

Other stream of people has been because the bus station was shut off, so lots of overnight coaches cancelled. People turning up for the first Glasgow trains, asking about travelling as the Megabus has been cancelled. In the spirit of things we've put them all on.

Very eerie at the moment. Armed police all around the station, and armed cars at every entrance. Passenger numbers well down, but everyone just seems to be going about their normal business in a measured, slightly subdued way, rather than any outpouring of emotion.

Comment

Just woken up to see this news. Numb with shock. I can't bring myself to watch any live reports or imagine how people must feel. Horrible.

Comment

Now 22 confirmed dead, including children. At least 59 injured.

Believed single bomber who died at scene.

Comment

EIM wrote: I know that any time something like this happens people rally round and do what they can to help, and it's a reflection not of a city, but of people. That when the unspeakable happens we all do what we can to look after each other. But I've lost track of the number of times in Manchester where people have gone out of their way to help a complete stranger, including myself. It's a hard city, but it's a city built on love. And the stories coming out of town tonight have made my heart swell when hours previously it was broken.
          This.

I spent a couple of years in Manchester many moons ago, and while I had a tough time there, met a lot of good people on the way. This has totally cut me up this morning and the fact that children are involved makes it feel much much worse.

Much love to all those up there.

Comment

The youth of the audience makes this seem particularly heinous. My youngest is flying off on his first holiday with his girlfriend today and last night my wife was saying how lovely it is to see them spread their wings. Today you realise how precious they are - and how fragile.

I've always loved Manchester, mainly because of the demonic determination of the locals to have a good time. Here's to them.

Comment

Stunned by this - my daughter wanted to me to take her to this but I said no cos it was too far on a school night - she was shaken when I told her about it this morning. Then saw on Facebook this morning that a close friend had taken her daughter and they got separated in the panic, but had reunited safely about an hour later - they have both seen some awful scenes close up though.

Comment

Can't really imagine what you must be feeling WFD. The nephew of a friend on FB and his girlfriend were also there, but are fine.

Days like this I wish I believed in hell, just so I could imagine that the kind of sick fuck who'd walk into a crowd of teenagers with a bomb would suffer.

Comment

I love that Arena. Spent a couple of hundred evenings there all told, watching sport, comedy and music. Made friends there, worked backstage on some events. Just half-joked to my friend that it is a church "because that's where we go to worship".

I go through Victoria twice a day and the sight of concert-goers never fails to cheer me up because I know that they are there to have a good time and that is what life is supposed to be all about, isn't it? They were just kids, for fucks sake.

I think I am angrier at the trolls and clickbait merchants exploiting this for money than the dumb misguided fuck who actually did it.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: Can't really imagine what you must be feeling WFD. The nephew of a friend on FB and his girlfriend were also there, but are fine.

Days like this I wish I believed in hell, just so I could imagine that the kind of sick fuck who'd walk into a crowd of teenagers with a bomb would suffer.
                    Well the ''enlightened'' arsehole who done this probably thought he'd be off to he Heaven where there's 72 virgins waiting for him?? And not the Heaven underneath 'the Arches' at Charing Cross Station either.......

Religion? Pfffft!!

Comment

I love that Arena. Spent a couple of hundred evenings there all told, watching sport, comedy and music. Made friends there, worked backstage on some events. Just half-joked to my friend that it is a church "because that's where we go to worship".

I go through Victoria twice a day and the sight of concert-goers never fails to cheer me up because I know that they are there to have a good time and that is what life is supposed to be all about, isn't it? They were just kids, for fucks sake.

I think I am angrier at the trolls and clickbait merchants exploiting this for money than the dumb misguided fuck who actually did it.
                      Yeh, I think I'm still angrier at the bomber.

Mick Hucknell has called the terrorists "brainwashed social misfits". I reckon that pretty much sums them up.

Comment

We don't know anything about the bomber yet. I assumed the Breivik shootings were probably a Muslim as the news first came in.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: We don't know anything about the bomber yet. I assumed the Breivik shootings were probably a Muslim as the news first came in.
                          No, we don't. And of course in terms of where our priorities should lie, sympathy with the friends and family of the dead and with the injured, that's a secondary concern. But when a car bomb exploded in London in the '70s or '80s we assumed it was Irish Republicans and we were usually right. I don't think that it's terrible to assume that a suicide bomber at a concert venue in 2017 was almost certainly a jihadist.

Comment

@NS. It's not terrible, as such, it just might not be right, or helpful.

This has the same numbing effect as Hillsborough, because it's the kind of place where we all could have been, where our teenage daughters could have been, where anyone we know and love could have been. Bastards.

Comment

Been trying to think some words that don't seem trite or hackneyed. But after so many incidents like this over the past several years I think all I have left are tears.

I'm so sad, and so sorry.

RIP all you young — much too young — spirits.

Comment

Yeah, didn't mean to suggest it was terrible. I am thinking it's likely what you say.

Comment

Horrific, distressing state of affairs for all those involved. No further words.

Comment

imp wrote: @NS. It's not terrible, as such, it just might not be right, or helpful.

This has the same numbing effect as Hillsborough, because it's the kind of place where we all could have been, where our teenage daughters could have been, where anyone we know and love could have been. Bastards.
                                    It could be wrong but, as educated guesswork on a fairly restrained and moderately-frequented football messageboard, I doubt that it's particularly unhelpful.

I'm all for quietening ramble-rousers and dampening down wild public speculation but I don't think it's wrong to draw pretty obvious conclusions from the available evidence.

Comment

Picture of a missing kid. 8 years old.

I ask you.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                        Originally posted by imp

It could be wrong but, as educated guesswork on a fairly restrained and moderately-frequented football messageboard, I doubt that it's particularly unhelpful.

I'm all for quietening ramble-rousers and dampening down wild public speculation but I don't think it's wrong to draw pretty obvious conclusions from the available evidence.
                                        Is there any need to make assumptions/draw conclusions though? Is there any value to it? Can you not just give yourself half a day off or something?

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
                                          Originally posted by imp

Is there any need to make assumptions/draw conclusions though? Is there any value to it? Can you not just give yourself half a day off or something?
                                          You're asking me not to evaluate a news event? To suspend my critical faculties?

How does that benefit anyone other than odd individuals such as yourself who, whenever there is a terrorist outrage which common sense would suggest was committed by someone with a particular worldview, is so painfully desperate not to hear anyone speculate, even in the most moderate terms, about who the culprit might be.

Tell you what, I'll take a half-day off if you take a half-day to stop picking people up on reasonably-judged assessments couched in the most non-inflammatory way. On a football messageboard. With about 50 active users.

Your over-sensitivity is pitiful to behold.

Comment

I don't think this is the time to start slagging each their off, frankly.

Comment

But unconnected to last night according to police

(And what Sits said on the previous page)

Comment

The Julian Assange fan club are in full effect. False flag, where are the pictures of severed limbs etc.

I wonder if this stuff can be legislated against somehow. I'm not a lawyer.

Comment

Yeah. And make money from it.

Comment

Culturally Manchester has been a huge part of many people's lives who have never lived there. There are many parallels with the Paris atrocity in the choice of soft cultural target with many young victims.

As I said above, conspiracy mongering over this attack involves a sociopathic lack of empathy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X