Twin Peaks 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh! Episode 13 already.

My highlight of the week, is hearing that music and watching this thing.

So.....Bad Dale is one hard hombre. Not so bad Dale is incredible at getting what is needed by repeating the last word anyone says (I might try that).

Clues and more clues , Audrey is back (or is she?) And the Double R is the even more the place of broken dreams.

NB On a whim, I bought 'The secrets of Twin Peaks" by Frost.

It is quite something:
    Masons, Nixon, Alistair Crowley, L Ron Hubbard, Roswell, crazy shite right through, teasing about aliens .. Not sure I have a real idea what is going to happen, but good to see Carl from the trailer park , and Margaret the log lady having some back story. And agent Tammy Preston sterling work girl.

Comment

Originally posted by VTTBoscombe View Post
      Clues and more clues , Audrey is back (or is she?)

Audrey was the one that so many were waiting for, and yet I can't that's Sherilyn Fenn! She's changed so much since the original series.

Comment

Just four episodes to go. It's exciting but a bit all over the place.

Comment

Three left. It's drifting aimlessly, if atmospherically. The Guardian's episode claimed if was one of the most exciting episode yet - a bewildering claim given nothing of substance really happened
          Last edited by diggedy derek; 23-08-2017, 23:07.

Comment

Finally, some answers. No spoilers though, I know most of you haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Should I bother with this? I can't remember f all about the original, bar the stroboscopic strip club scene in the Movie. Part of me still loves his stuff, part of me is as embarrassed as hearing an old Fall record in company ("you like this??"). Sexy sophomoric Freudian weirdness has its place but. Unless it's Wild at Heart. Ugh.

Comment

Expect nothing and you will enjoy it.

Comment

That was better overall, parts don't make sense, other bits very much hit home

Definitely worth bothering with, on the basis that it's not like anything else

Comment

Roll on Season 4!

Comment

I find it hard to articulate, but that made some sort of sense to me. The penultimate episode was weird and psychedelic and exciting but a bit of a mess. The last one I found weird and cold and slow and chilling in a way that somehow worked.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        The last one I found weird and cold and slow and chilling in a way that somehow worked.
                        There is a fan-theory that the Cooper in the last episode is a hybrid of the Good and Bad Cooper, which would explain the 'Cooper, Cooper, Cooper' signal in series 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
                          Roll on Season 4!
                          Is that definitely happening? I mean, it's the only way the second part of the finale makes any sense at all, so I hope it is.

Comment

Well, I’m disappointed.

The thing that I’ve always loved about the original series is the soap opera set-up balanced with elements of psychological horror. You can feel Lynch’s influence underneath the surface, reined in by the constraints of a primetime TV show. It’s what made the original series brilliant and unique, for me. It’s also what made Fire Walk With Me special and different to the TV series – it was a thrill to see what an off-the-leash Lynch could do with the characters and their situation.

Of course TV has moved on and almost every show indulges in content that once would have only been seen at the cinema. I haven’t got a problem with this – except when it comes to Twin Peaks. FWWM, as a film, fits in with Lynch’s other movie work. FWWM as an 18 hour TV series (which is what The Return is) only serves to highlight the aspects of Lynch’s work that are open for criticism. I love Eraserhead. I love Blue Velvet. I especially love Lost Highway. Do I want 18 hour versions of any of them? Nope, and I don’t know why anyone would want an 18 hour FWWM either.

It’s interesting to think about Mulholland Drive in this context. The film is generally regarded as a modern classic, and possibly Lynch’s strongest work; but it started out as a potential TV series. A lucky escape, then, if The Return is anything to go by.

I’ve listed some specific issues in the spoiler section below, along with thoughts on how the series ended. But I truly hope this is it, and Lynch can let Laura go.

********** SPOILERS **********

- I think the final two episodes were the strongest of the series, and worked as effectively one feature-length episode.

- I actually quite like how the series ended. The idea that Cooper is somewhere and somehow trying to save Laura, but endlessly failing, is interesting and appealing.

- If you accept the idea that the majority of the series was a dream (i.e. up until we see Cooper’s head in the background) then I think a case can be made that the entire original series was a dream too. Or that Cooper has been in a coma since he got shot in the original series, which is when he first encountered The Giant / Fireman.

- There are some really good sequences during the series – Lynch at his surreal best. Perhaps there’s a 10 episode edit of The Return I could learn to love, with a focussed narrative and the decent sequences spread less thinly. Also, whatever the budget was, it would have been better spent on fewer episodes. Some of the effects are well ropey – they’re not a nod to the original series, they don’t evoke nostalgia, they’re just bad.

- I’m not happy with Lynch effectively writing himself a lead role. Especially while Good Coop is just wandering around for 16 hours in a semi-catatonic state. Whether his work has been good or bad, I’ve never been bored by Lynch… until Dougie.

- As mentioned above, TV has moved on since the original series – and so has the role and treatment of female characters. Is there a female character in The Return that isn’t either a victim or objectified (or both)?

- Sex and violence. The original series had both, and of course is centred on an abused and murdered young woman. But the tone of The Return is less Twin Peak and more FWWM – which across 18 hours becomes oppressive, voyeuristic, irrelevant, and difficult to justify.

- The original cast and characters are a mixed bag. Catherine Coulson was perfect, and her final scene was heartbreaking. I enjoyed Hawk, Jacoby, Mike, and Ben Horne. But if I never see Andy and Lucy again it’ll be too soon (kind of kooky and cute first time round, but just irritating now). I think Lynch is trying to convince us that Twin Peaks hasn’t moved on – characters are frozen in time or on a loop; the town exists in a bubble. Which would kind of fit with the Coop dream / coma theme. But if this is Lynch’s intention it’s undone by the use of other locations; improbable character development / replacement (i.e. Bobby joining the police; the Truman conundrum); and limitations of the actors involved. On a related point, the callbacks were pretty much all cringe worthy (e.g. James singing THAT song; Audrey’s Dance).

- One of my fears for The Return was that it would ruin aspects of the original series. I really didn’t want Lynch to mess with the Diane ambiguity (although Laura Dern is awesome… but then she can do no wrong in my eyes!); but having made the decision to give certain characters some resolution Lynch chooses the wrong ones (e.g. Ed, Nadine, and Norma but not Audrey).

- And finally… The musical performance trope got old quickly. Really quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfnp1977 View Post
                              Well, I’m disappointed.

The thing that I’ve always loved about the original series is the soap opera set-up balanced with elements of psychological horror. You can feel Lynch’s influence underneath the surface, reined in by the constraints of a primetime TV show. It’s what made the original series brilliant and unique, for me. It’s also what made Fire Walk With Me special and different to the TV series – it was a thrill to see what an off-the-leash Lynch could do with the characters and their situation.

Of course TV has moved on and almost every show indulges in content that once would have only been seen at the cinema. I haven’t got a problem with this – except when it comes to Twin Peaks. FWWM, as a film, fits in with Lynch’s other movie work. FWWM as an 18 hour TV series (which is what The Return is) only serves to highlight the aspects of Lynch’s work that are open for criticism. I love Eraserhead. I love Blue Velvet. I especially love Lost Highway. Do I want 18 hour versions of any of them? Nope, and I don’t know why anyone would want an 18 hour FWWM either.

It’s interesting to think about Mulholland Drive in this context. The film is generally regarded as a modern classic, and possibly Lynch’s strongest work; but it started out as a potential TV series. A lucky escape, then, if The Return is anything to go by.

I’ve listed some specific issues in the spoiler section below, along with thoughts on how the series ended. But I truly hope this is it, and Lynch can let Laura go.

********** SPOILERS **********

- I think the final two episodes were the strongest of the series, and worked as effectively one feature-length episode.

- I actually quite like how the series ended. The idea that Cooper is somewhere and somehow trying to save Laura, but endlessly failing, is interesting and appealing.

- If you accept the idea that the majority of the series was a dream (i.e. up until we see Cooper’s head in the background) then I think a case can be made that the entire original series was a dream too. Or that Cooper has been in a coma since he got shot in the original series, which is when he first encountered The Giant / Fireman.

- There are some really good sequences during the series – Lynch at his surreal best. Perhaps there’s a 10 episode edit of The Return I could learn to love, with a focussed narrative and the decent sequences spread less thinly. Also, whatever the budget was, it would have been better spent on fewer episodes. Some of the effects are well ropey – they’re not a nod to the original series, they don’t evoke nostalgia, they’re just bad.

- I’m not happy with Lynch effectively writing himself a lead role. Especially while Good Coop is just wandering around for 16 hours in a semi-catatonic state. Whether his work has been good or bad, I’ve never been bored by Lynch… until Dougie.

- As mentioned above, TV has moved on since the original series – and so has the role and treatment of female characters. Is there a female character in The Return that isn’t either a victim or objectified (or both)?

- Sex and violence. The original series had both, and of course is centred on an abused and murdered young woman. But the tone of The Return is less Twin Peak and more FWWM – which across 18 hours becomes oppressive, voyeuristic, irrelevant, and difficult to justify.

- The original cast and characters are a mixed bag. Catherine Coulson was perfect, and her final scene was heartbreaking. I enjoyed Hawk, Jacoby, Mike, and Ben Horne. But if I never see Andy and Lucy again it’ll be too soon (kind of kooky and cute first time round, but just irritating now). I think Lynch is trying to convince us that Twin Peaks hasn’t moved on – characters are frozen in time or on a loop; the town exists in a bubble. Which would kind of fit with the Coop dream / coma theme. But if this is Lynch’s intention it’s undone by the use of other locations; improbable character development / replacement (i.e. Bobby joining the police; the Truman conundrum); and limitations of the actors involved. On a related point, the callbacks were pretty much all cringe worthy (e.g. James singing THAT song; Audrey’s Dance).

- One of my fears for The Return was that it would ruin aspects of the original series. I really didn’t want Lynch to mess with the Diane ambiguity (although Laura Dern is awesome… but then she can do no wrong in my eyes!); but having made the decision to give certain characters some resolution Lynch chooses the wrong ones (e.g. Ed, Nadine, and Norma but not Audrey).

- And finally… The musical performance trope got old quickly. Really quickly.
                              Hopefully will get a chance to reply to this sometime, but in the meantime, this is worth a read:

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

I find myself agreeing with a the majority of what's in there and in your post, but still feeling somehow it worked.

Comment

With holiday and a work trip I had to catch up with 4 episodes, including the two last ones.
                                I will rewatch the last two again as there was so much to take in.

Generally on the series - deep down, although disappointed in so many ways, I am so glad this was made.
                                Most enjoyable thing on the "screens" by some miles for me this summer.

I enjoyed Lynch's soft heartiness (Norma/Ed, Dougie's charm with the Mitchell Brothers) and the very deep dark stuff - like "drink from the well" from Sooty, Sweep and the gang.
                                I also enjoyed the old 'uns, although Audrey's purgatory was purgatory to endure. FBI tag team was great - I actually really liked the Gordon Cole character and how Lynch played him.

Kyle Maclachlan was simply fantastic in all his guises, and although unlikely to win it, I would hand the man an Emmy now.

I was in love with Jane E Jones World. Not sure I want a series 4 I think that's enough.

Comment

Re-watched the last two again, actually felt far more satisfied with outcome.

Although I wouldn't petition for a 4th season, as I am quite content with what went down; I would still watch it if it came back.

Comment

I have no real idea what we just finished watching, but I enjoyed the journey. What a collection of images and ideas....but who knows where it led/leads?

As I've recounted before, I really get lost with multiple characters / timelines / names. I mean, I watch Game of Thrones with L, but mainly just look at the pictures. I can't comprehend who's who and what's what.

18 episodes is a long run, and it really really really tests your patience at times. But it's all sort of cool in the end. What did it all mean? No idea. Like, none.

Comment

From a generally admiring LRB review of the series:
                                      "There was also a drizzle of vignettes concerning minor characters from the old series, which often played like the world’s most depressing high school reunion."

Comment

Does anyone know when it comes out on DVD?

Comment

Since watching the final ep the other night, I've been reading my ass off trying to understand it. Two things: 1) you really needed to have been paying attention and 2) you really need to be one of those people who files, stores and retrieves names and places for any of it to make sense. I mean, sure, all the bread crumbs were left on the trail, but who in their right mind has the capacity to kick them into shape over 18 episodes?

I'm much better with the Rockford Files: Jim has car stolen; Jim looks around for his car; Jim finds his car and fights with a guy; Jim and Rocky go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X