Twin Peaks 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin Peaks 2017

Just pitching my tent in the woods ready to watch it tonight.

Bloody owls.

Twin Peaks 2017

Haven't watched it yet, but I've heard really good things. It's still almost hard to believe that the original made it onto prime time American network TV, let alone that it became such a hit.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

I never saw a single minute of the original. Is this a sequel or something new?

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

The original was brilliant. Gripping, weird, confusing, superb.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Reed, the originals are worth watching. It's only two seasons. It is Lynch, so don't expect a straightforward story, but some of the visuals are haunting. I hadn't thought about Twin Peaks in a very long time, but I was thinking about it since the hype building up to this new season (or whatever else we should call it, apparently Lynch/Frost say that this isn't Season 3, but a standalone work), and I realized how big an impression it made on me, and how much of it still stuck with me. Beautiful and disturbing.

And the best theme song ever.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Tying up with the 'quality television' thread, you could argue that Twin Peaks was the first American Real Quality Serial Drama, with Hill Street Blues being the first Small-Q Quality Serial Drama.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Oh my!

I think I will need to re watch that just to make head or tail of it.

I prepped myself by watching again the first pilot , and the last episode from t'second.
              Just to get in the mood - but this is Lynch on a mission, wish I knew what it was though.

Can't watch it again until the weekend too many images arghhhhh!

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

At least he's involved, even if it ends up more Lost Highway than Mulholland Drive. The last if heard he'd pulled out and they were going ahead anyway, which would have been awful.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

VTTBoscombe wrote: Can't watch it again until the weekend too many images arghhhhh!
                  The internet is your friend.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Lang Spoon wrote:
                    Originally posted by VTTBoscombe
                    Can't watch it again until the weekend too many images arghhhhh!
                    The internet is your friend.
                    I meant too many disturbing images after watching it once.

Hardly surprising; but still disturbing.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Being released episode by episode on Netflix, too, for those of us in countries without a TV channel showing it.

We only watched the originals a year or two ago, and loved them (I can't remember whether I said it on here or not, but when we later watched the first series of Broadchurch I thought the influences, especially the humour, were very clear, and was a little surprised to not see others mentioning it). We haven't seen Fire Walk With Me, though. Can anyone who's already seen this first episode of the new one give an opinion on whether we should watch that before diving in to this?

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

OK I have rewatched it now, and enjoyed it a lot more.
                        Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind before.

Some scenes have more an Eraserhead feel somehow to me; I think it's the background music the lighting , the sometimes bored nature of the actors - just Lynchy I suppose.

Generally the feel was spot on, the "story" around the Black Lodge is just weirder and weirder but hypnotic. Nice to see old friends as well.
                        Some of the set piece camera shots were just stunning - New York at night was like a golden vision, the end bar scene was a beautiful hommage to the first two series.

Old Kyle is certainly getting his turn in too, Dale Cooper is, (along with Terry Collier of The Likely Lads,) my joint top favourite ever TV character.
                        But, if you recall what happen to Special Agent Cooper at the end of Series 2 you can imagine, without letting any spoilers out it is not the Coop of old.

Gruesome, odd, disturbing ; but frankly wonderful, already ticking off the days until the next one.

Sam, I must admit I have almost erased "Fire Walk with me" from my mind - I liked parts of it; but I view this more a continuation from Series 2 rather than that, although perhaps as this rolls along some more, FWWM will become more relevant.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Brilliant, we might watch it tomorrow afternoon then (bank holiday in Argentina so my girlfriend will be off work). Thanks!

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Not sure why they keep releasing it two episodes at a time, rather than a single one, or all at once Netflix stylie; but caught up on 3 and 4.

3 was a bit horrible in places, with the usual comic side, while 4 was the purely comedy episode.
                            I must admit Sam, that there are some FWWM references popping up ; but nothing that gets in the way (yet).

Don't want to give spoilers but the Bluth family member cameo was hilarious, at first; but dragged after a while.
                            As for the rest cracking stuff, I haven't a clue what is going on most of the time, and what will happen , no idea but will keep watching.

Comment

Twin Peaks 2017

Incandenza wrote: Haven't watched it yet, but I've heard really good things. It's still almost hard to believe that the original made it onto prime time American network TV, let alone that it became such a hit.
                              Yeah, uh, your L.A. privileges will be revoked if you don't take the time.

After you watch it, be sure to check out the first 6 episodes of "On The Air." I would even say On The Air is for the entire family. My stomach developed a few ulcers from the heaving and guffawing it delivered.

Entertainment Weekly had an article on teens in 1991, with this crew of black-haired Asians and Smiths-lovers whose movies were "Blue Velvet" and Jim Jarmusch's "Mystery Train," and tv series being "Twin Peaks". Lynch gave us all hope. Miami Vice was Run DMC. Twin Peaks was Eric B & Rakim or Tribe Called Quest.

Some time around August 1990 (after Saddam invaded Kuwait,) check out a Sunday LA Times with an article about Christian Slater and David Lynch after Wild At Heart. The French knew what David Lynch had to say and had to offer. I was in Los Angeles at the time, and it was a great article. I'm happy Slater has Mr. Robot and Lynch is still a force. It's not that it was on network tv, it's that people were ready for Homicide:Life on the Street in 1991, which in turn gave deeper movies culminating in 1996's Leaving Las Vegas and Dead Man Walking, and 6 years after that would come The Sopranos.

Twin Peaks was the weird shit of Ernie Kovacs and the beat bozos of the 50s. It was Roy Orbison's soul. It was the effect of the weirdo 50s on the 80s. It was the truth that when you have the worst President and worst political instincts, you'd have the best art. It was the nightmares that Stand By Me would have. It was red velvet curtains and red swinging traffic lights that looked great on ABC, which always tended to be deeper in color and darker in blacks than the vibrant AFC Miami Vice colors of NBC or the dulled NFC bootleg Twin Peaks ripoff "Northern Exposure" of CBS.

One of the unfortunate truths is there's not many brilliant artistic moments in life. Very rarely is there something good on. For a few months after 10 years of Reagan and Bush, Twin Peaks was one of them.

Comment

OMG. Lynch pulled out all the stops in EP8.

I'm still not sure what the hell I saw. I need to find a good synopsis site.

For a solid hour, I was so distracted that I forgot trump was president.

Comment

We're recording the new series. Watched the first episode immediately, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, have felt no desire to watch the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                    OMG. Lynch pulled out all the stops in EP8.

I'm still not sure what the hell I saw. I need to find a good synopsis site.
                                    I have no idea what that was about, probably the most bizarre hour of TV I have ever watched, it made Eraserhead look like Toy Story. I'm not sure if it was brilliant or Lynch taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Tramp The Dirt Down View Post
                                      I have no idea what that was about, probably the most bizarre hour of TV I have ever watched, it made Eraserhead look like Toy Story. I'm not sure if it was brilliant or Lynch taking the piss.
                                      I seriously, seriously concur.

EVER-SO SLIGHT SPOILER
                                      The only conclusion I can come to, is that the events of '45 led to the origins of a particular character. And thats only because of the cast listing at the end.

Comment

FUCK! I need to watch this. I need to watch Fire Walk with Me also. I have a coworker that says that S3 is all in relation to FWWM and the first two original seasons almost don't enter into this.

Comment

I think that's pretty accurate, Inca.

There's a good reddit that Super Sharp Shooter told me about. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/

Comment

The original series - and Lynch's work generally - is very important to me, but I'm finding this series frustrating and a bit of a slog. We're almost halfway through and I'm thinking the second half of the series is going to have to go some to justify the first half.

The tagline for this series was: It's happening again. My main question at this point is: WHAT is happening again?

Comment

Just back from a bit of holiday, and so did a back to back catch up on Ep7 and Ep 8.
                                              Ep 7 was as far as this series can be as the comedy and then, whatever Ep 8 was about.

Oh my! Lynch unfettered is quite an experience. I loved it.

Thought: Although I love the original Coop, Kyle MacLachlan is delivering an absolutely terrifying Bad Coop - the voice, the calculating menace, makes me almost forget old Frank Silva, as the most evil entity on TV, ever.

Plus I want a wooden PC monitor - cool beyond belief.

I will catch up on FWWM I think in this hiatus week.

Comment

Revisited Fire Walk with Me, and also the Missing Pieces thing.

Would have liked to see Agents Desmond and Cooper as a team, Chris Isaak cut quite a dashing figure in his day.
                                                Of course David Jones is always good to see, and had a very funny scene in the Missing Pieces thing with a bell hop.
                                                Plus something I always wondered, Harry's and the Doc's reaction to hearing the "Where's Annie?" end to the Second Series - is in Missing Pieces, these simple things please me.

Anyway - still only slightly wiser.

So Episode 9 of The Return, and back to comedy turns, and gasp ........ actually a moving forward plot line.
                                                Not really spoilers but anyway **********SPOILERS**********

Loved the noise from Ike. Was Albert actually flirting with the morgue lady? And the more you hear about Major Briggs and his relationship with Bobby, the more touching it seems. Especially as Bobby was such an ass in the original shows and film. Was the obnoxious Twin Peaks deputy actually about to eat corn mush? Tammy's posing/postures are getting even more exaggerated, and does it really cost that much to fix a tail light ?

Wonder if it's back to black next week.

I guess the ratings for this must be pretty low, no idea what Showtime is and it's usual audience number.
                                                I'm saying that as it takes longer than usual to er find a friendly Torrent, usual immediate availability being with shows like Westworld, GOT, Handmaid, Doctor Who etc.
                                                Last edited by VTTBoscombe; 12-07-2017, 10:03. Reason: I had promoted Briggs to Colonel

Comment

Still not returning to the weirdness of Episode 8; but trundling along swimmingly.
                                                  This series has already overtaken the second series and all the Windom Earle nonsense (although the final episode is special) for me.

Episode 11 had the most equal balance, between Twin Peaks the town, the Albert, Gordon , Diane and Tammeeeeeeee tag team, and good old Dougie, plus usual crazy stuff interspersed with it all, oh a whole week to wait howl.
                                                  Oh! but I just remembered - Shelly, WTF!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X