Three Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Girls

Has anyone had the opportunity to watch the 3 part drama on BBC1 this week regarding the grooming and sexual abuse scandal in Rochdale.

Sometimes it was understandably a tough watch but superb performances from the 3 young actress portraying the girls in question.

Three Girls

It was outstanding, it genuinely changed the way I viewed the case and the criminal prosecution service.

Possible Spoilers

Demonstrating how Amber was completely failed by everyone, even after justice was achieved was what made it outstanding. Even to the point that the drama had to focus on Holly to make it watchable as she was the nice girl from the decent family. But at no point could you be satisfied with the outcome, justice was never totally achieved because a girl who was a victim is still to this day recognised as a perpetrator of a terrible crime. This is something I never realised before watching the drama, but something I'm quite ashamed to learn after watching it, so hats off to BBC for making the kind of drama that exposes such injustice and changes your whole perspective on how sexual abuse victims can be treated by the state.

Other than that, the race aspect was dealt with well, with race never being the focus of the drama, but the relevant issues raised. The main enemy was incompetence and ignorance and the producers ensured that was clear from the start.

Only bone I'd have to pick with it would be that I find Maxine Peake a bit one dimensional, every scene she was in was very "earnest BBC drama". Most of the scenes with the girls were horrifically realistic, the girl playing Holly was outstanding. Paul Kaye was really good too.

Comment

Working...
    X