On Loyalty, Trump and scoundrels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm sitting here following the latest Trump scandal on CNN's morning talkfest. And the theme of 'Trump values loyalty above all else' keeps getting mentioned.

In Toronto, we endured 4 years of similar stupidity with the Ford brothers, and they used to mention 'loyalty' whenever a microphone was near their mouths. Doug was famous for saying "you can't teach loyalty" about one of their thugs who went down in disgrace.

But loyalty really is the bastion of scoundrels, is it not? I mean, you don't need to be 'loyal' to good people. People stand beside good people through good times and bad, but not when they...you know, repeatedly break the law or threaten lives. Good people are honest with you, good or bad.

Loyalty seems to mean keeping your mouth shut, being complicit, and 'aiding and abetting' a moron and a thug. You know...like Trump or the Fords.

Would you want your wife to call you a 'loyal husband'? I wouldn't. It's not really a compliment, is it?

Apologies for my poorly structured diatribe, but it's been bugging me...and it's early-ish in the day.

Comment

The Trump / Mafia analogy is pretty much established by now (carefully saying 'not literally'). It wouldn't surprise if his nomination for the next FBI Director is Tony Soprano.

Theresa May requires the same thing in everyone around her too, and ruthlessly dispatches those who don't accede to her every word.

Kind of like Bruno says, someone should inspire loyalty, not demand it.

Comment

Precisely. Loyalty, like respect, is earned not guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
        X