Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Charlie Hunnam get big enough to open a multimillion dollar blockbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did Charlie Hunnam get big enough to open a multimillion dollar blockbuster

There are also over 400 surviving manuscripts. Including a fair amount of poetry — Beowulf is probably the best known. Also writings on medicine, law, and geography. There's also a whole bunch of artwork, jewelry, notably the Sutton Hoo trove, a number of stunning illuminated manuscripts. Architecture in the form of surviving churches. And, though little survives, Anglo Saxon embroidery was regarded as the finest in Europe. The most famous piece is of course the Bayeux Tapestry (A Norman commission executed by English weavers) which does. There are also carvings, in ivory and whalebone, glasswork, and enameling. Anyhow considerably more than dark circles in fields.

Comment

I'm not sure the Norman link quite works in your talk about Arthur Berba, The original stories are the Welsh fighting against the Saxons and then conquering an Empire that included the kingdoms of Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway and Gaul.

Most of the stories that come to mind when I think about Arthur are French though. And they aren't about Britain as much as just being a setting for stories about romance and chivalry.

I'm not certain that Arthur is a particularly English thing as opposed to a genuinely British phenomenon.

I'd love a series on the Normans. I read The Normans in Sicily a few years ago and it amazing. You could do an anthology thing. Have Normandy series one and then each subsequent series would be set in a different place that a handful of chancers turned up in and fucked things up.

Comment

Have any of you lot watched The Accursed Kings?

Comment

No, but it sounds interesting. I wonder if Netflix has it?

Comment

That does look interesting.

I was going to ask if anyone has been watching Versailles. It's a bit silly but quite a lot of fun. It's also sent me to wikipedia a lot to find out more about the period

Comment

Has Joe Queenan nicked my idea?

Comment

Chris Evans was talking this up on his Radio 2 breakfast show because he's good mates with Guy Ritchie apparently. Ritchie sounded like an utter moron who was dozing off all the time. The film sounded like it would be utter shite probably because of Evans saying how fab it was going to be.

Also it apparently had David Beckham in it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  It's an odd thing to make movies about as well. You don't see any interest in ireland in making movies about the Fianna, or the Tain, or cu chullain, and these are all way more interesting. There's even toraíocht Diarmuid agus Grainne, which is a proper straight down the line Tristan and Iseult story.

There's a huge and rich collection of Irish Folklore going back a very long time, and we get taught about the fairy tale versions in school, but no-one wants to make movies about it. .
                  You've not seen The Secret of Kells, or Song of the Sea then? Both are animated films and are really, really good.

Comment

The Secret of Kells is swirly patterned gorgeous goodness. I was poleaxed by a self-spiked yoghurt but.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-06-2017, 22:57.

Comment

I'm watching Sword, Stone and Two Smoking Barrels. It appears to be very, very bad.

Comment

So, I actually saw this. On a plane, when everything else was either just as bad, or I'd already seen it. I tried starting a terrible Planet of the Apes thing, and that one which is just Woody Harrelson being an arsehole.

Which meant I was left with Guy Ritchie's King Arthur. However bad you think it might be, it is somehow worse. It is a mix of a little bit Arthurian legend, a little bit Lord of the Rings, some badly made mockney gangster stuff, a little bit of ludicrous martial arts film (what the fuck is a kung-fu master doing in Saxon London that looks mediaeval?), and Jax Teller. And even that description doesn't do justice to how risibly godawful the whole thing is.

It's the kind of film they'll be making films about. It will have its own Ed Wood or Disaster Artist in a decade or so.

Comment

Working...
                        X