Funny Comedy Songs For 9-Year-Olds Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 9-year-old who has every marking of someone who was the daughter of a Three Stooges and Mad Magazine fan.

There's a running joke in our family, when my wife wants a calm or easy-listening song to be played at night, I will play something like Jimmy Castor's epitome of intellectualism or Bill Paxton's greatest directing job other than Frailty. Even Bob Dylan's absurdism like Ballad of a Thin Man.

I need a lot more ammo. I had enough to get me through ages 4-8, but I'm going to need more.

I need funny songs. I do not want a debate of what is funny or not. I just need song titles. I need hard-to-find songs, songs that have a funny break, songs that are very stupid, songs that are absurd or weird in a funny manner. Or especially Children's Songs that have an incredibly wacky Tom Waits-like soundtrack with horrific visuals.

My go-tos have been:

*Fishheads - Barnes & Barnes
    *Bertha Butt Boogie - Jimmy Castor (along with just about anything Jimmy Castor did.)
    *That Jack in the box video
    *The Duck Song

Please Help.

Have you tried any Spike Jones or Louis Jordan?

Comment

No, but I did have Lou Monte.

Forgot about Spike Jones.

Thanks, GO.

Comment

Spike Milligan's Q5 Piano Tune amused the hell out of me when I was a kid. Still does, to be fair.

Comment

How far does one go in this thread? Bernard Cribbins? Terry Scott?

I think the Cribbins should be allowed in.

Comment

And didn't George Martin produce Bernard Cribbins?

Comment

I'm also a big fan of Victor Borge and Tom Lehrer. Not sure how your 9 year old would react to We Will All Go Together When We Go, though.

Comment

I've always found Stan Freberg's parody of Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) highly amusing. Not sure all would agree, however. Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West) by Benny Hill is also quite wrongly maligned, in my opinion.

Let's just say that both of these were 'very much of their time'...

Comment

Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) is brilliant.

I'm thinking just about anything else that would've made it onto the Junior Choice shows that Radio 2 resurrected the past few Christmases before Ed Stewart's sad demise in January last year might fit. Terry Scott and Bernard Cribbins have also already been mentioned; Allan Sherman springs to mind next.

Have you considered [strike]Brabbins & Fyffe[/strike] Flanders & Swann, JV? I can't imagine any child who wouldn't smile at The Hippopotamus Song, for example.

Comment

Would The Scaffold's Lily the Pink qualify as comedy?

And some of the old Goons songs might work.

Just one thing, please: never, never The Laughing Policeman. Annoyed the hell out of me even at 7.

Comment

Damn – I was just about to suggest The Laughing Policeman.

How about this celebration of fags as aids to romance?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmXLkJ8Bwk

Then there's The Yingtong Song ... obviously.

Comment

I remembered Mad Magazine's It's a Gas.

Nothing's too obvious, and Fat Policeman who Laugh is an excellent contribution of what I am looking for.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) is brilliant.
                          This.

King Of The Cops wasn't bad, either.

Comment

Monster Mash.
                            River (King Trigger)
                            Charlton Heston (Stomp - try the video)
                            Also, try Jake Thackray, Victoria Wood, Barron Knights, and when they're a little older, Ivor Biggun.

Comment

I'll put in a plug for John R. Cash.

When I was nine my favorite comedy song was BOY NAMED SUE. The content is a bit harsh, but probably no worse when compared to what most kids are exposed to today.

He also did 25 MINUTES TO GO, morbid hangman humor. Both were written by Shel Silverstein.

FLUSHED FROM THE BATHROOM OF YOUR HEART is brilliant figurative language.

WARNING -- I grew up w/ the album of live at San Quentin and Folsom Prisons -- the redone CD from aways back has all the unedited "banter" between songs that may not be as appropriate to a 9 yr. old.

Comment

The Goodies (Bill Oddie) had a couple of good albums, with tracks that were better than Funky Gibbon. (In case Jason V is an undercover cop, let me state for the record that I am not recommending "Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me. No, sir. Absolutely not).

A more appropriate Oddie one that I liked was BLIMPHT, from "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again". And the silly butterfly song.

Comment

If their spelling is good, try "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." by Billy Connolly.

*The spelling doesn't matter, but you may have problems explaining what he meant by "an effin c" in the middle of it.

Comment

The Goodies' Funky Gibbon was the second record I ever bought with my own money. The B-side was called Sick Man Blues and whilst again some content may be a little dubious nowadays*, it does feature throwing up noises. Not to be sniffed at.

*I've thrown up over Indians
                                    I've thrown up over Jews
                                    I've even thrown up on my blue suede shoes

Comment

To me, The Goodies' records seem 'quaint' rather than funny in 2017.

Gerontophile wrote: If their spelling is good, try "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." by Billy Connolly.

*The spelling doesn't matter, but you may have problems explaining what he meant by "an effin c" in the middle of it.
                                      Is that what it was? For the past forty years, I'd assumed the beeped-out section was 'S-O-B' (ie, 'son of a bitch'), which was a sort of go-to insult throughout the seventies. Your take, however, seems a touch more likely for a Glaswegian.

As long as one has a hang of the visuals as well, Laurel & Hardy's Trail of the Lonesome Pine can still raise a smile or three.

Comment

Spike Milligan's Q5 Piano Tune amused the hell out of me when I was a kid.
                                        Speaking of, what about I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas?

Other possibilities:
                                        The Spitting Image songs
                                        Flight of the Conchords
                                        Jonathan Coulton

Probably best to avoid:
                                        Derek and Clive

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                          Spike Milligan's Q5 Piano Tune amused the hell out of me when I was a kid.
                                          Speaking of, what about I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas?

Other possibilities:
                                          The Spitting Image songs
                                          Flight of the Conchords
                                          Jonathan Coulton

Probably best to avoid:
                                          Derek and Clive
                                          The first thing that came to mind was Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros. The second was "The Chicken Song", although perhaps not the b-side ("I've Never Met a Nice South African").

Morris Minor & The Majors for more questionably tasteless material? ("Stutter Rap", "Another Boring B-Side")

Quite a few of the songs mentioned were on one album I had as a kid - All Aboard! Some others not mentioned, although maybe a bit dubious with "Goodness Gracious Me".

Comment

You could try Burl Ives

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

Is that what it was? For the past forty years, I'd assumed the beeped-out section was 'S-O-B' (ie, 'son of a bitch'), which was a sort of go-to insult throughout the seventies. Your take, however, seems a touch more likely for a Glaswegian.
                                              The fact that you didn't know that has hit me harder than it ought to. I actually shouted "'Is that what it was?'' 'Is that what it was?' What do you mean, 'is that what it was?'" at my screen. It's right up there with Gangster Octopus not knowing the lyrics to the Dad's Army music.

(I'm sure that knowing or not knowing the lyrics to a Billy Connolly song isn't that far up your list of life priorities, but still. You'll be saying you don't know all the words to Combine Harvester (Brand New Key) next.)

Comment

treibeis wrote: The fact that you didn't know that has hit me harder than it ought to. I actually shouted "'Is that what it was?'' 'Is that what it was?' What do you mean, 'is that what it was?'" at my screen.
                                                And this, kids, is why The Lady That Treibeis Walked To The Registry Office With continues to tell him that there is no internet access within 50 metres of the customer facing areas of the golf lodge.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by treibeis
                                                  The fact that you didn't know that has hit me harder than it ought to. I actually shouted "'Is that what it was?'' 'Is that what it was?' What do you mean, 'is that what it was?'" at my screen.
                                                  And this, kids, is why The Lady That Treibeis Walked To The Registry Office With continues to tell him that there is no internet access within 50 metres of the customer facing areas of the golf lodge.
                                                  I was at home when I read it, thank the Lord. If I'd been at the hut - where I'm usually on edge anyway; when I'm not being Mr. Mackay, then I'm Mr. Barrowclough - I'd have probably ending up mashie-niblicking one of the regular's yappy Yorkshire terrier to a pulp.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X