X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Band Members with Least Musical Talent

3 Colours Red wrote:
    Originally posted by Flynnie
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned Meg White.
    Meg White was a fucking brilliant drummer. Nailed what she needed to do, and came up with some belting beats.

Although Bez didn't have any musical talent, he did add something to the band (drugs, mainly) and their style on stage.

Comment

Meg White is, probably, less of a musician than Jack White is but they probably wouldn't have been as good with somebody else.

Comment

Having a go at her always seemed absolutely unnecessary. I always got the impression that the Meg White hate was driven more by her refusal to play any kind of indie/pop/rock star game, possibly due to seeming almost cripplingly shy.

Comment

Have to say I always thought Meg W was more than adequate for what they were doing. Impactful, certainly.

Bez certainly added something to the Mondays' shtick - certainly more than Barry Mooncult did for Flowered Up. And he had a way with the maracas.

Some further random dancers - decide for yourself on their respective levels of talent:

Stacia (Hawkwind)
          Jed (Howard Jones)
          Kathleen Lynch (Butthole Surfers)
          Wojtek Dmochowski (Blue Aeroplanes)
          Ben Carr (Mighty Mighty Bosstones)
          Beau Beau (Avail)
          Jamie Pressnall (Tilly & The Wall - possibly the only tap-dancer in pop)
          Baba Oje (Arrested Development - arguable, as he mainly just sat in a rocking chair)

(Paul Rutherford of FGTH and The Prodigy's Leeroy Thornhill are excluded as both dabbled with vocals/keyboards.)

Comment

Always Wojtek for me, I love that man. Not as energetic as he once was, but still making those moves.

Comment

James Maker at early Smiths gigs

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Jed (Howard Jones)
                I saw them on last night's TOTP repeat, after a couple of near misses last week. It was even more painful than remembered.

The Stone Roses had a dancer/mascot called Cressa early on, didn't they?

Count me among the Meg White supporters. I thought that the whole point of the band was supposed to be that they were simple and direct.

Comment

Yeah, Wojtek gets my vote too - also because the BAs are better than any of those other acts.

Cressa - of course, how did I forget Cressa?

Comment

Benjm wrote:
                    I saw them on last night's TOTP repeat, after a couple of near misses last week. It was even more painful than remembered.
                    The most painful one was on Saturday Superstore; he came out of a cardboard box, then returned to it a few minutes later at the end of the song after his usual meanderings (to a mimed song). As the camera panned away, I remember wondering how, afterwards, he would get out of the box with any dignity, in front of a camera crew and audience that would be by then looking elsewhere.

Comment

Steve Peregrine Took perhaps. Though it's really hard to say as he appeared either totally wasted, or asleep on the occasions when I saw him.

Comment

I really don't rate White Stripes but surely being a crap Cramps was their schtick so them being basic musicians adds to that.

Comment

Ah, Meg White. Forever connected Chez Gymshorts with that French and Saunders Skit. Fact is, she was a perfectly good drummer for what the White Stripes wanted to do.

The Hardest Button to Button, Seven Nation Army and Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground would not be the same without her slightly wonky timekeeping.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: The remaining 3% of the original line-up of The Thompson Twins
                            Are you including the second best drummer that The Cure ever had?

Comment

Suppose on the strict definition of lacking chops and staying in tune inability then Mooney and Suzuki for Can (and maybe even Czukay-didn't Leibizit eventually get him relegated to tape manipulating for his unbootsy like basswork?). But that would be mad. A band made by ahem, idiosyncracies.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: Stu Cook admits he was the fifth best vocalist in Creedence even after they shrunk to a trio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBHYfsPAt0
                                The album that song comes from, Mardi Gras, is the definitive 'so bad, it's good' album for me. Probably to do with the fact that John Fogerty was still involved, writing songs and playing guitar but he gave bigger roles to the other band members. Only a great idea if you are trying to split the band up to have a solo career. So, in that respect it worked a treat. The band split up straight after it was released.

Comment

From seeing White Stripes live, Meg was pretty weak at the basics of keeping in time. Maybe she was having a bad day.

I like Stone Roses but Ian Brown is a long way behind the rest of the band for musical talent.

Comment

Kid A wrote: I like Stone Roses but Ian Brown is a long way behind the rest of the band for musical talent.
                                    That did seem to be a trademark for that whole "baggy" thing though - having a lead singer who wasn't exactly professionally trained.

Comment

Gillian was needed in 1981 because Sumner could not sing and play an instrument at the same time, and a total outsider would have not been welcomed in the mental atmosphere of the time.

Comment

Kid A wrote: I like Stone Roses but Ian Brown is a long way behind the rest of the band for musical talent.
                                        In fairness to Ian Brown, his solo work's no great shakes, but it's infinitely better than any of John Squire's efforts.

Anyway, my nomination for this thread would be the two chancers out of Milli Vanilli.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                          Fabrice Morvan

Rob Pilatus
                                          Yeah, I already mentioned them. It's quite a sad story really, Frank Farian exploiting their naïveté to that extent.

Comment

Ah, sorry 3CR. Had no idea what their names actually were.

Comment

Alec John Such.

Comment

It shouldn't be hard to just play the root note and an occasional riff, but......yes.

Comment

Annabella from Bow Wow Wow.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Kid A
                                                    I like Stone Roses but Ian Brown is a long way behind the rest of the band for musical talent.
                                                    That did seem to be a trademark for that whole "baggy" thing though - having a lead singer who wasn't exactly professionally trained.
                                                    I've said this a few times on here before, but try singing along with any Stone Roses song on the first album and tell me if you can make all the notes Ian Brown makes on those songs? It's impossible, because he sings a heck of a range of tones in the songs, always starting from quite a low whispered tone in each song.

He had a really beautiful voice, totally shot these days by all the smoking. In practically every song it has prolonged moments of softness, almost folksy and tinged by an unexaggerated Mancunian accent. That's then matched by the strong, high-pitched, confident chorus leading you get in the big choruses.

I never really appreciated how good Brown's singing was until I finally got round to giving Second Coming a decent listen a good decade or so after it was released (I couldn't bring myself to listen to it all the way through at the time, it's still hard work today). Anyway, the one saving grace of that album is Ian Brown's singing. Listen (if you can) to Good Times. It's basically shower of shit rent a rock, it could be anyone. But it isn't, because Ian Brown's voice is so distinctive, filled with character. It's a Stone Roses song because of Ian Brown, without him it would be poor cock rock. The same goes for the whole of that album, which is basically Ian Brown wading his way through an assault course of faux-Aerosmith bollocks and he still manages to make it sound like the Stone Roses because his vocals are so distinctive.

I was at the Reading gig in 1996, it was worse than you can possible imagine, without doubt the most appalling performance I've seen from any headlining band in my life. But I sort of get now why Ian Brown held on to keeping the Roses together, because on the Second Coming he was really the only member who was distinctively the Stone Roses, any muso could play those guitar licks, few could sign those songs like Ian Brown, even Ian Brown himself. So, he ended up looking and utter fool at the end of a pretty terrible festival, in memory serves me rightly. But the idea that he has no musical talent is nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X