X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Myers set to make an awful TV show

This sounds...very bad.

The Gong Show has found its host.

Sony's reboot, which is being produced for ABC by Will Arnett’s Electric Avenue, has tapped an unconventional emcee befitting the nostalgic talent show. And while no party involved will cop to it, that host is believed to be Mike Myers. In a twist without much precedent, the comedian behind Wayne's World and Austin Powers seems to be going full method for the gig. His name is unlikely to be found on any literature, promotions or even credits tied to The Gong Show. No, the host is technically "Tommy Maitland," an elaborate character created for the sole purpose of stepping into the Gong Show role once famously filled by the late Chuck Barris.
    “I’ve been a huge fan of Tommy since I first saw his stand-up in the UK while traveling as a teenager. He was so funny and original. I had the good fortune to cross paths with Tommy a few years ago and ever since we've talked about working together,” said Arnett, playing into the gag. “I tried for years to come up with a vehicle that was suitable to expose his immense talent on a bigger stage, and The Gong Show is the perfect fit.”

Maitland not only has an extensive backstory but also a wide-ranging social media footprint via @MrTommyMaitland. Highlights of his biography include a teenage stint in the British Army, a cult following in Italy thanks to a collection of spaghetti westerns and a few James Bond knock-offs and numerous past credits hosting other game shows — including the unfortunately-titled Australian project Dingos Got the Baby.

The Gong Show seems to be a return from retirement for the 72-year-old U.K. native, who is the first to admit he's doing the variety show for the money. With a sing-song British accent, "Maitland" spoke by phone about his aspirations, his catch phrases and what he can’t wait to do here in Los Angeles.

U.S. audiences aren’t familiar with you yet. What should they know?

Well, I love to entertain but I can be a bit of a cheeky monkey. Nothing terribly dirty, just a little naughty at times. And I really enjoy America – they’re very good, Americans, for the most part. I’m excited to see the underbelly of American talent, and what you have to offer here. Of course, I’ve been to America before. Been to Philly, Frisco, Bean Town, the Big Apple….

Why is this, The Gong Show, your first U.S. foray? What was the appeal?

Well, I didn’t have some money problems back in England. Some terrible investments, I overspent and taxation during the '70s was a killer. And they waved a tremendous amount of cash under my nose, which for me, at this time in my life, is welcome indeed. I will retire to Malta. Do you know how to make a Maltese cross?

I do not.

Punch him in the face. Punch a person from Malta in the face. I’m happy to explain all of my jokes.
    If you look around the landscape here, is there a host who inspires you? Perhaps even a role model as you approach this?

I like Jimmy Kimmel a great deal. He has old school sensibilities. Jimmy Fallon is a natural entertainer, and I love that about him. And Colbert is very smart. Scary smart. But my inspirations come from England: Bob Monkhouse, Terry Wogan... Bruce Forsyth is a huge, huge influence on me. A man who had both catch phrases and catch poses, which is a huge achievement in the hosting annals.

Have you given any thought to your Gong Show catchphrase?

Oh, I’ve had one for years, darling.

Apologies. What is it?

I say, “Who’s a cheeky monkey?” Then the audience goes, “You are.” And I go, “No, you’re a cheeky monkey, and that’s why I love you.” The other catch phrase of mine is, “You’ve got no proof.” So, when I say something slightly cheeky, I’ll say, “Well, you’ve got no proof.” My second memoir was titled, “You’ve Still Got No Proof.”

And your first?

“You’ve Got no Proof.” The third one is in the works, “Still No Proof.” The fourth one will be “You Might Have Proof But Not All of it’s Correct.”

They could save themselves a fortune, and just show the auditions for "America's Got Talent".

Comment

Why is Mike Myers?

Has no one thought this through? He'll be doing an awful skit on Dick Emery types that mean sweet fa to the Americans. It'll be shit sandwich of course, but if you have no reference to the bullshit gag it'll be infuriating.

Someone should link this Tommy Maitland fake ass to Operation Yewtree, and the whole thing will have to be pulled before it starts.

Comment

The cheeky monkey catchphrase is a straight lift from Partridge as well.

Comment

Good God, no. He's such a c*nt.

They named a street after him here (Scarborough) a few years ago. It's possibly the most unappealing bit of blacktop they could find, near a hydro right-of-way and some inexpensive row houses. Sort of fitting, really.

Comment

The photo of him in make up, a Ted Rogers nightmare. Whatever kind of arsehole or loveable zany prick or cat in the hat he's playing, it's the essential and inescapable cuntitude of Myers himself that shines through. He seems like he's just itching to be unpleasant to someone every minute.

Comment

So Mike Myers has invented Alan Partridge. Who's going to tell him?

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: The cheeky monkey catchphrase is a straight lift from Partridge as well.
                He had an unfunny character on Saturday Night Live that was a British kid in a bathtub, and his catchphrase was "you're a cheeky monkey bum-looker!" He'd talk about his "draw-rings". This was in the early 90s, when did Partridge start? I wouldn't doubt that he stole it.

Comment

He's just going to be doing an older, schtickier version of Austin Powers.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                    Originally posted by Lang Spoon
                    The cheeky monkey catchphrase is a straight lift from Partridge as well.
                    He had an unfunny character on Saturday Night Live that was a British kid in a bathtub, and his catchphrase was "you're a cheeky monkey bum-looker!" He'd talk about his "draw-rings". This was in the early 90s, when did Partridge start? I wouldn't doubt that he stole it.
                    It would have been '94 on Knowing Me, Knowing You, (was a sports presenter of note for a few years prior on TV and radio). The "Cheeky Monkey" phrase wasn't uttered by Pontius Partridge himself, but a pretend guest on the pretend chat show, a skit of a pisspoor northern ventriloquist type doing a turn, (with a monkey puppet), kinda Keith Harris/Carolgees/Hull but without the chutzpah.

Ooh, ya cheeky monkey!

Comment

Pretty much every character he 'invents' is based on someone he went to school with. He's said as much in interviews over the years. Dieter, Wayne, 'British kid', everyone. I mean, Wayne and the wood-paneled basement is just a hockey stoner in Scarborough in the '70s.

Comment

WOM wrote: He's just going to be doing an older, schtickier version of Austin Powers.
                        I read someone on FB guess that this character won't be liked at all, so he's start going through his other characters. Austin Powers will host the show, then Scottish Guy, etc.

Comment

That would be interesting. I'd tune in for Shrek week....

Comment

All that aside, I've always enjoyed Myers as his father in So I Married An Axe Murderer. AND...I was at a graduation ceremony once where a bagpiper passed out, and everyone started shouting "We've a piper doon."

Comment

I'll give him a decent go at the comedy Scotch. Almost no one can pull it off (see also, Irish) but that dough faced smug prick almost can almost get there. In a way he's better at being Scottish than Ewan MacGregor of the Clan En-ún-Ciate.

Even though he's bloody atrocious as romantic comedy lead in that filum, I do have a chuckle at the Da.

Comment

I used to love The Gong Show.

Channel 4 used to broadcast re-runs in the early 80s.

Comment

I'll give him a decent go at the comedy Scotch

Mike Myers used to be good at a Scottish accent back in the early 90s, not long after he'd lived in Glasgow for a bit.

Problem is, his Glasgow stint's now a quarter-century in the rear view mirror, and as time passes his "Scottish" accent's become a "Skahdish" one instead as his recall of how we really sound has faded and become distorted over time and distance.

Comment

Working...
                                  X