Going for a Beano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going for a Beano

The god-like genius Leo Baxendale has died.

Going for a Beano

Erk!

RIP LB, I would never use the term genius lightly but he surely was one.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Great artist. Fantastic detail and the energy and sense of movement that he could get into a single panel was second to none.

While his work is as well known as, say, Ronald Searle's, his name probably isn't. Recognition has always been a struggle for comics artists, I suppose. The BBC have got the announcement in a decent position on the website though.

I was slightly surprised that he was only 86 (and still alive, I'm ashamed to admit). That probably reflects how completely the world that DC Thomson came from has been blown away in the last 35 years as much as anything.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Mate of mine drew The Bash Street Kids and Minnie the Minx after Baxendale left The Beano, Tam Patterson.

Used to 'sign' his strips with a smelly sock.

Comment

Going for a Beano

I'm always reminded of The Beano and The Dandy whenever I come across scotch pies anywhere.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Benjm wrote: I'm always reminded of The Beano and The Dandy whenever I come across scotch pies anywhere.
            As a kid, cow pie with the horns sticking out seemed like the best thing ever. I'm surprised no enterprising gastrobeard place has tried it. I guess Desperate Dan is a faded forgotten thing.

Comment

Going for a Beano

There's this place in the Black Country, although it predates the gastro-boom. I think they worked it up to a small chain for a while but had to scale back once the local market for stupidly large (or not stupidly large enough, according to my dad) pies had become saturated.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Benjm wrote: There's this place in the Black Country, although it predates the gastro-boom. I think they worked it up to a small chain for a while but had to scale back once the local market for stupidly large (or not stupidly large enough, according to my dad) pies had become saturated.
                Nah, no pastry horn decoration man. Proper cow horn. That was my dream of proper Man's food around 8 or so.

Comment

Going for a Beano

The thing I always attempted was to stick sausages in a pile of mashed potato. But they never ever stayed straight, always flopped over. Comic strip physics, way better than the real thing.

Pretty damned difficult (but not impossible) to make a perfectly circular Christmas Pudding these days too.

Comment

Going for a Beano

When I was 7 or 8, I was always baffled by comic strips because I didn't understand that they weren't fully related to the real world. The sausages in mash was an obvious one, but the existence of "gangs" like the Bash Street Kids seemed unlike "gangs" who I occasionally heard about on the news. And corporal punishment seemed utterly ubiquitous, but also basically harmless. I also had no idea about some of the stuff, like The Jocks and The Geordies, having no idea what Jocks or Geordies were, let alone the stereotypes. And, of course, I didn't know that Cow Pies didn't really exist, and it wasn't just my elite academic family that didn't have them.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Lang Spoon wrote: Nah, no pastry horn decoration man. Proper cow horn.
                      There's one for the great accidental Shaun Ryder lyrics pile.

The pastry horns look more like ears. At least they won't have to change the menu if they decide to rebrand as a Donnie Darko themed joint.

Comment

Going for a Beano

San Bernardhinault wrote: I also had no idea about some of the stuff, like The Jocks and The Geordies, having no idea what Jocks or Geordies were, let alone the stereotypes.
                        One of my brothers moved to Berwick-upon-Tweed a couple of years ago. The first time I went up to visit I did have a faint, vestigial hope of encountering real life Jocks and Geordies action. It wasn't to be, although you can buy Berwick Rangers scarves with a choice of St George's or St Andrew's cross detailing, according to preference.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Steve Bell does the obituary.

Comment

Going for a Beano

Nicely done, and just about right. I've long believed LB was one of the biggest influences on the lives of my generation but, as Steve Bell says, none of us knew his name. Many still don't.

Comment

Working...
                            X