The Durutti Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Durutti Column

There are catchier songs than Back In Denim on the album but if you don't like the general feel of that one the rest probably won't win you round.

Comment

This is an absolute stunner by Reilly: For Colette:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-10-2017, 00:38.

Comment

Denim's Summer Smash is one of my favourite ever pop singles. Not terribly similar to The Durutti Column, mind.

Comment

A gorgeous piece written for Tony Wilson's second wife, who was subjected to a horrific attack the year before

Comment

Here's Vini as a rabbit, courtesy of a possibly deranged Japanese artist:

http://www.post-punk.com/post-punk-a...-with-bunnies/

Comment

Vini and Bruce rock out

Comment

The wistfulness of some of the best known DC records can be misleading. They could make quite a racket when they wanted to, particularly live. On one occasion that I saw them they covered Purple Haze.

Comment

My love for this artist just deepens and deepens. He brings me so much peace at times of doubt and anxiety. This is just amazing:

Comment

There's an expanded reissue of The Guitar And Other Machines due from Factory Benelux. The CD box looks good value; the live set on disc three has previously been issued as a stand alone release (Live At The Bottom Line aka One Night In New York) that is fairly hard to find now.

I'm very fond of TGAOM, partly because it was the first DC album that I waited for and rushed down to buy when it came out. Some of the electronic backing maybe sounds a little dated but the guitar on Bordeaux Sequence is one of Vini's best moments. Our local Our Price had a big shop display for the album's release, with posters and empty sleeves in a prominent place. It was quite strange given the band's low profile and Factory's general disregard for conventional promotion of their acts (although that had started to change by 1987). Most of it later found its way onto my bedroom wall, thanks to a mate who worked in the shop.

The revived Factory Benelux label is based in Norfolk, which I suppose is kind of a low country.

Comment

I love the effects on this one:

Comment

From the 'Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say' EP January 1985.

Comment

Same track live

Comment

New album recorded, dates forthcoming: https://twitter.com/DuruttiColumn

Comment

The same source ('Uncut' Feb 2018) says The Guitar and Other Machines (1988) is being reissued with extra tracks. I think it's a transitional album from his 80s sound, which was often quite minimalist, to a more ambient sound with synths and whatnot. But then he changed direction again a year later with 'Vini Reilly', which (alongside the first two albums of his career) is arguably the best work he's done (although personally I like some tracks on every album and would miss even his weakest efforts).

Comment

Wow, how much do I love this?

Comment

Another corker:

Comment

This grabs me in a way that no other music does right now

Comment

New anthology 'M24J' is a great intro for beginners.

http://factorybenelux.com/m24j_anthology_fbn164.html

Sadly no news on the supposed new recordings or gigs

Comment

Recently uploaded to Youtube: Royal Exchange Theatre 1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjsm29MzSt8

Comment

I wasn't sure if you would have seen this, Satchmo. From other tweets, there is an impression that Vini may be having a difficult time of things.

https://twitter.com/duruttiphil/status/1409077814532493315

Comment

Thanks, Benjm. He's been struggling for at least a decade and we are just fortunate he's still around.

Comment

I think the most recent photo that I have seen of him was one that Denise Johnson posted of the two of them after meeting in Manchester city centre, which can't have been all that long before her tragically early passing last year.

Comment

The most recent photos I have are from two months ago (April 26) by Mick Steff (Badkamra)

https://twitter.com/Badkamra/status/1387158833299066881
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-06-2021, 14:39.

Comment

Thanks, Satchmo. I remain envious of the Reilly thatch.

Comment

Never need an excuse to listen to him, but thanks for the prompt this afternoon. Sketch for a Summer just starting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X