No announcement yet.

The Quiet Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The book has, by the publisher's economic sleight of hand (converting it to ebook/paperback only to reduce costs) now been funded. That's in large part thanks to many of you who pledged, and for that I am really, really grateful. Thank you.

Editing process starts next week, so I am assuming there will be a 2018 publication date.

Comment

Looking forward to reading it, Ian.

Comment

Congrats, Ian. Should be a great read.

Comment

Good to hear - Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
            The book has, by the publisher's economic sleight of hand (converting it to ebook/paperback only to reduce costs) now been funded. That's in large part thanks to many of you who pledged, and for that I am really, really grateful. Thank you.

Editing process starts next week, so I am assuming there will be a 2018 publication date.
            Ebook/paperback is great? What would have been the upside of a hardback?

Comment

Hardbacks are more beautiful and designers can (one assumes) have a bit more fun with them, HP. And in modern publishing especially they've enjoyed something of a renaissance on those terms.

I'd pledged for e-book anyway, on the basis that I can't get a physical copy delivered to me here, so this is wonderful news for me. Congratulations, imp!

Comment

Thanks, people! The whole idea of the hardback is to create a limited edition collector's edition, possibly to justify the high price of pledging. That model seems to be geared towards writers with scads of rich mates. There was a very posh bloke doing the Pledge Party who'd already reached 70% on around 70 pledges - I said to him, somewhat tactlessly, "Ah, you're the lucky bastard who's nearly got funded with a few dozen readers." Rather than taking this as top-level writers' bantz, he just looked at me all offended (interpretation: "Keep away from me, you ghastly creature!") and didn't exchange a word with me all night.

I was worried that people would rescind their pledges, but it seems that no one much cares. I will find ways of making it up to all hardback pledgers, though.

Comment

I'm quite content to accept a paperback edition, but in recompense I expect you to come to my house and read a chapter a night to me in bed before tucking me in.

Comment

Thanks, people! The whole idea of the hardback is to create a limited edition collector's edition, possibly to justify the high price of pledging. That model seems to be geared towards writers with scads of rich mates. There was a very posh bloke doing the Pledge Party who'd already reached 70% on around 70 pledges - I said to him, somewhat tactlessly, "Ah, you're the lucky bastard who's nearly got funded with a few dozen readers." Rather than taking this as top-level writers' bantz, he just looked at me all offended (interpretation: "Keep away from me, you ghastly creature!") and didn't exchange a word with me all night.

I was worried that people would rescind their pledges, but it seems that no one much cares. I will find ways of making it up to all hardback pledgers, though.
                    Oh yeah. I forgot that was promised in the pledge. Eh. It's ok. As long as I can read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                      I'm quite content to accept a paperback edition, but in recompense I expect you to come to my house and read a chapter a night to me in bed before tucking me in.
                      Only if you provide the hot cocoa.

Comment

So, today is the official publication date. I feel once again hugely indebted and grateful to those of you who pledged in advance to make this happen. Many, many thanks. I hope the relative thrill of seeing your name in the book at least partly compensates for your generous outlay. For those who pledged for a signed copy (and/or other stuff), it'll take a while longer - I can't get over to London until the first week of September to take care of that.

It is also now being sold through the WSC web site, for £9.99, or £8.99 if you're a subscriber (ignore the £10.99 price tag - when you click on 'Please select' it's a pound or two less).

There's no amazon page, and I'm not sure if that's down to the publisher's incompetence or not. But in any case I'd far rather people bought it through the mag or ordered it through their local book shop, if they're lucky enough to still have one.

Comment

Congrats, Ian.

Comment

I can’t recall if I have a book coming or if I have to download it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              I can’t recall if I have a book coming or if I have to download it somehow.
                              You pledged for a signed copy, so it will take a wee while, but I think you get sent a digital copy too - I think that should arrive quicker, and downloading seems to be straightforward.

They're working on the amazon page "today", apparently.

Comment

Ok, great. Congrats!!!

Comment

Woohoo! My e-book has arrived. Congrats, Ian.

Comment

Physical books should be sent out tomorrow or Monday, signed ones already in the post. All range of opinions welcome...

Comment

Just downloaded mine - looking forward to it!

Comment

Looks like you're up at Amazon UK but not yet at Amazon US. Do you think your publisher will have physical copies at Amazon US?

Comment

The signed print copy just arrived! Thanks and congratulations. I look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                            Looks like you're up at Amazon UK but not yet at Amazon US. Do you think your publisher will have physical copies at Amazon US?
                                            There appear to be physical copies at US amazon at various prices, shipping from UK or Ireland.

Comment

There appear to be physical copies at US amazon at various prices, shipping from UK or Ireland.
                                              Thanks. Things moved fast since I posted. Ordered a new copy.

Comment

Got my e-copy on release day, and am looking forward to starting it (although at the rate I've been reading for pleasure lately, that might not be for a while). Congratulations, Ian!

Comment

The book arrived today. I am almost done with a punk fanzine and then this is next up for my commute.

Comment

Some clever US academics from the Football Scholars Forum grilled me last night about this book, and the resulting discussion is here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X