The Quiet Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Quiet Fan

Am on my favourite train, the Eurostar, heading towards the Tunnel - just a reminder to anyone interested the Waterstone's event is this evening at 6.30.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Can't make it along but I hope that all goes well. imp.

On a practical note, it's probably best not to adopt the Dylan Thomas approach of spending the 10 hours until showtime exclusively in the pub.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

The sad thing is that my best publicity plan would be to stagger in wearing a replica Lincoln shirt, shout something obscene, vomit, then pass out. Imagine the YouTube hits if someone just happened to have recorded it.

So far all I've had since arriving in London is a nice cup of tea.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

imp wrote:

Tickets are £6 / £4 and include a drink
          In London, surely that equates to "The tickets are free"?

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

How did it go, imp?

Comment

The Quiet Fan

I think it went okay. I had the slight fortune to be the seventh on out of eight, and the previous six writers were touting books which all had very intense themes or subjects. So someone prattling on about how going to watch Lincoln v Scunthorpe in 1980 served only as a prelude to their first love-bite maybe provided some relief. It was really good to talk with some of the other Unbound writers beforehand, most of whom were just as nervous as me, and we all shared stories about the agony of crowd-funding, trying not to look at your percentage level too often, and the trials of contacting everyone you've ever met and subtly suggesting they might like to 'support' your project.

There was no vote, thankfully. Either that was a joke, or they forgot. Then went to old OTF drinking den The Lamb in Lamb's Conduit Street to top up my relief that it was all behind me.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Rats! Missed each other by a week at The Lamb..

Comment

The Quiet Fan

I thought of that as we were stepping across the pavement towards the front door. I could still sense the lingering atmosphere of an OTFathon.

For those of you who never look at this web site's front page, here's another excerpt, cunningly tied in with tomorrow's Scottish Cup Final.

And here's an interview where I attempt to explain why I've written the damned thing.

You're all Lincoln City fans, right? Because if you are, you can get 15% off by using the code Lincoln15 at checkout. If you're not, I don't think there's a requirement that you scan in your season ticket stub.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Imp was on a coach with a toilet, even back in the dark ages. Should have pissed in the can or out the broken window. We want more "authenticity", less truth.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Signed up today after being reminded to by the excellent latest sidebar piece. I'd got a mail about the "pitch party" as I've pledged on another Unbound book but couldn't make it.

Gah, only just seen the discount code!

Comment

The Quiet Fan

tee rex wrote: Imp was on a coach with a toilet, even back in the dark ages. Should have pissed in the can or out the broken window. We want more "authenticity", less truth.
                          Ha ha - it was no football special, but a dodgy National Express competitor that stopped in Birmingham at some random curb side, on its way from Norwich. I didn't have a ticket, so I presume I must have paid the driver or someone came round to collect. I know I was on the top deck, and we might have stopped somewhere else too. Manchester? It's something of a blur.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Ray de Galles wrote: Signed up today after being reminded to by the excellent latest sidebar piece. I'd got a mail about the "pitch party" as I've pledged on another Unbound book but couldn't make it.

Gah, only just seen the discount code!
                            Very grateful, and sorry about the code. If there's ever a launch party I'll ensure you get an extra pint.

Comment

The Quiet Fan

No problem, I'm sure it will be worth every penny (and better value than the relatively vast amount I am paying for the Unbound book about Fry & Laurie signed by the subjects).

Comment

The Quiet Fan

I've finally got around to pledging, imp - I kept remembering to do so after my girlfriend had gone to sleep, and my debit card is kept in one of the bedroom wardrobes with a squeaky door. To make up for the tardiness you can have another plug for the thing from my Twitter, coming up shortly. And I'll try and remember to give you a shoutout on this week's podcast, even though I'm guessing there's nothing much Argentina-related in the book (if there is, now's your chance to let me know so I can tell our listeners).

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Cheers, Sam, that would be great. Er, yes, of course there's tons of stuff about Argentina. About how Pat Partridge possibly added to his match book collection while there during the 1978 World Cup, and an extended account of watching the Argentina-West Germany 1986 World Cup final at a hotel in Göttingen with about 50 largely indifferent German pensioners. Perhaps best to talk about the book in more general terms...

Comment

The Quiet Fan

Hang on, Sam's girlfriend guards his debit card from him and he has to undergo Indian Jones style escapades to retrieve it while she sleeps?

Comment

The Quiet Fan

That is exactly what happens, yes.

In reality my girlfriend could sleep through the Rapture, but she's the one who has to get up early for work, so I prefer not to run the small risk of waking her.

Comment

Finally reached 100 backers. Probably need anther 200. Two of the authors I talked to at the Pledge thing have had their books up on the site now for 15 months, and were around 80-odd%. I won't last that long.

Have now started a Quiet Fan blog with 'exclusive content' to add to my drawn-out, drip-feed self-marketing. Today I talk about scrapbooks and the joys of sprawling over the Sunday Express sports page during the 1970s.

Comment

Was talking to a friend at the weekend who pledged a while back, and he said, "It's interesting that you've gone down the road of self-publishing..." and I was, WHOA, stop right there! If someone who's actually pledged thinks that this is self-publishing, then I wonder how many other people understand what Unbound actually is - a legit publisher that has, for example, three books on The Guardian's 'Not the Booker' longlist. It just has a different economic model.

I'm stalled at about one-third of raising the necessary amount. I've instigated new Fan levels of pledging, including an audacious 'Corporate Fan' level on the grounds that modern football is all about throwing large amounts of dubious money at endeavours which probably won't pay off. So if you know any companies that love supporting the arts, just pass them the link...

I also re-wrote the blurb, because I'm not sure the previous attempts managed to get across what the book's about, as such. I'm also very receptive to critical feedback. I'd love to know if any of you thought about it but then held back because of 1. price/postage or 2. content ('sounds shit' or 'can't really grasp what this book is') or 3. a combination of both, or any other reason.

Comment

I am broke right now - well, house-poor, to be exact - but I'll chip in another $20 if you do a reading at my house.

Comment

Ha, I'd do that for free. Would do it for free at any OTFer's house if they had some beers and a few punters in feigning interest.

Comment

10% off pledges today at Unbound to celebrate something called 'Book Lovers Day', apparently. I'm sure this Day was instigated purely to celebrate people who love books, and is not at all marketing bollocks from the publishing industry, so I'd like to sincerely wish you all a happy Book Lovers Day.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                  Ha, I'd do that for free. Would do it for free at any OTFer's house if they had some beers and a few punters in feigning interest.
                                                  Well, if you do an Eastern US tour, we'll make it happen.

Comment

I was on US radio last week talking about the book (Sirius XM), and although it didn't exactly rocket up my pledge level, it did really get me focused on why I wrote this book - I've regurgitated that into a more coherent blog post.

And you people will be thrilled to know there's a 10% discount for UK readers all Bank Holiday weekend, starting today (code: BANK10). For US readers, there's a permanent £5 postage discount code: quietfan5.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X