Fargo (III)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fargo (III)

Very good first episode: I liked the chemistry between Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ewan McGregor, but David Thewlis steals it as the creepy mobster.

Opening scene in East Germany 1988 seems very odd but will presumably be explained later.

Fargo (III)

Not necessarily. The 30s Western film set that served as the prologue to Series 2 was never "explained," as such. It vaguely commented on the relationship between one of the characters, and everyone else in the show, but that was all, and was tenuous at that.

Comment

Fargo (III)

OK. I figured it might be a metaphor for people being trapped by fate, such that their actions and explanations have no effect on their captors.

Comment

Fargo (III)

Anyone know when it's airing in the UK?

Comment

Fargo (III)

C4 are expected to announce its premiere this week.

I had one or two reservations about Season II, but if it comes anywhere close to Season I, I'll be more than happy.

Comment

Fargo (III)

I've been watching it intently but have already forgotten the East Germany thing.

The death by air conditioner is my favorite onscreen murder in years.

So far, the best reference to the rest of the Fargo universe I've noticed is that one of Ewen Mcgreggor's character is a parking lot developer and that's what Jerry Lundagard was trying to convince his father in law to do in the film. They also mention talking to Stan Grossman, might be interested in developing a property they have. Stan Grossman was Wade's #2 guy in the film, who convinced Wade not to call the cops after the Kidnapping. "We're not holdin' any cards here, Wade."

Comment

Fargo (III)

I was unaware of Mary Elizabeth Winstead until watching the (underrated) Brain Dead last summer. From that, and what little I've seen of her in the first two episodes of New Fargo, I am definitely a fan.

Although, as Satchmo notes, Evil David Thewlis steals all the thunder and is one of my favourite TV creations in years.

Comment

Fargo (III)

I found myself mildly distracted/irritated by the fact that the murdered old geezer looked 75 – 80 years old in 2010. Yet in 1975 appeared to be about 25. Especially when the actress-cum-waitress who appeared to be, more-or-less, his contemporary in the seventies looked in her late fifties thirty-five years later.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to this type of thing now I'm old. The current AMC production, The Son has the protagonist captured by Comanches in 1849, at about 15. By 1915 he's turned into Pierce Brosnan, so looks, and acts, like someone in his mid-60s, rather than 80+. I suppose in TV land anything over 60= geriatric.

Comment

Fargo (III)

Correct. The real actor playing older Ennis Stussy is 73 and the playing him 35 years earlier is 25. But actresses playing the same character are 23 and 64.

I guess they were trying to contrast how he was once full of talent and potential and is now tired and beaten down by life.

Comment

Fargo (III)

IIRC Keith Carradine's character in the first series had a younger version.

Comment

Fargo (III)

I think this is making less of an effort than Better Call Saul to maintain any kind of plausibility. Mode of death copied The Grifters.

Although I like the lead actress, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, there's an unfortunate resemblance in mannerisms to Dexter's annoying sister Jennifer Carpenter, although Winstead is obviously a class above as an actress.

Comment

Fargo (III)

For increasingly-impatient UK viewers, Fargo III 'finally' debuts on C4 this coming Wednesday evening.

Apologies if that's already been mentioned - I daren't read this thread for fear of spoilers...

Comment

Fargo (III)

"Although, as Satchmo notes, Evil David Thewlis steals all the thunder and is one of my favourite TV creations in years."

Obviously agree.

Spinal-fluid bone-marrow-platelets chilling.

Comment

Fargo (III)

McGregor's accent is really offputting. I can't comment on how authentically Minnesotan it generally is, but I can hear his natural accent (or at least how I've heard him speak in movies) poking through about a fifth of the time.

Comment

Fargo (III)

Ahhh, thine auld "McNulty's American accent is horrible" when 10 out of 10 Americans and Baltimorians would be utterly black-is-whited night-is-dayed gobsmacked if they found out he was in fact English.

My daughter's godmother is literally from Fargo, and has lived in St. Paul (including college) over the past 30 years.

I will ask her.

Comment

Fargo (III)

Like I say, it's not really a question of whether it's a horrible accent, it's that a significant part of the time (albeit a minority, but a few words every sentence or two) I don't hear the character, I hear Ewan McGregor.

Comment

Fargo (III)

I haven't had that problem.

Comment

Fargo (III)

I hear it in the rich brother's accent but not the parole officer's accent.

Comment

Fargo (III)

Satchmo Distel wrote: I hear it in the rich brother's accent but not the parole officer's accent.
                                      Agreed. But I'm not put off when I hear Scotland leaking through.

Carrie Coons has it down especially well. Mary Winstead, the guy always wearing the coat - forget his character or actor's name - and the guy playing Carrie Coon's assistant deputy or whatever, also sound about right for where their characters are from.

BTW, many people in Minnesota, especially northern Minnesota, really do talk like that. A lot of notheastern critics pissed on the original film by claiming it was mocking midwesterners. It really wasn't.

Comment

Fargo (III)

After episode 8, the series is more dream-like, no attempt at disguising implausible escapes. Willingness to suspend disbelief is being taken for granted.

Comment

Poor last episode. Did not enjoy it at all. Just seemed like a Tarantino string of set pieces without even the satisfaction of a clear conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                                          X