X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospital People

Ray de Galles wrote:
    Originally posted by Jah Womble

An American friend of mine walked out of one of his Partridge warm-ups when he kept repeating the c-word. I tried to explain to her that the word doesn't carry the same level of impact over here (which isn't even true),
    I'd say it was a supportable argument, though that is based on things like the poker game scene in 'Curb' and articles like this :

"In North America, it is among the most offensive insults in the English language, perhaps rivaled only by the infamous N word (whose level of offensiveness depends on who's saying it). It's virtually always used to express bitter, mocking contempt, and is more likely to be directed at women than at men; when used by a man against a woman the argument has just gone thermonuclear.

In other English-speaking countries, it's nowhere near as mind-blowingly offensive (but still a strong expletive) and it's generally unisex or (as in Britain) mainly directed at men, being something like a stronger, crasser version of "asshole". In some situations (i.e., among young Glaswegians, London cockneys, New Zealanders, or Australians) it might even be a term of affection."
    Fair comment, I guess - I mean, I doubt I'd place it in quite the same echelon as the n-word, but perhaps its 'status' as a sexist epithet has sent it supernova over there. This was twenty years ago, and my US cohort was pretty seriously offended, even then...

I still find the overuse of the c-word among articulate types on here and other social media a bit distasteful, tbh. And while we're on it:

And this was on a show where the previous week Tom Binns had called an 11-year-old boy a cunt after he'd kicked him up the arse.

This smacks of the apocryphal, even though Binns swears it's true. Apart from anything else, how would an eleven-year-old boy have been allowed on a post-midnight TV show?

Lang Spoon wrote: Fuckin hell, Under the Moon. So many wasted late night hours. That and the blind date meets Runaround show with early period Davina McCall.
    God's Gift - also pretty thin gruel. The original series of this was voiced-over by Stuart Hall, with the second boasting commentary from Jimmy Savile. Oh dear, etc.

Comment

Hospital People

God's Gift - also pretty thin gruel. The original series of this was voiced-over by Stuart Hall, with the second boasting commentary from Jimmy Savile. Oh dear, etc
      Oh, dear god. The fucking horror
      Surely one of the first examples of lowest-common-denominator television. This made Take Me Out look classy. Steeky horrors showing off in front of a load of desperate milliebangers.

Comment

Hospital People

Calvert wrote: Steeky horrors showing off in front of a load of desperate milliebangers.
        I have no idea what that sentence means. Yet somehow I do. Which makes it rather splendid.

Comment

Hospital People

Right. I've just sat through ten minutes of this.

Fucking hell, Snakey.

Comment

Hospital People

Calvert wrote: Right. I've just sat through ten minutes of this.

Fucking hell, Snakey.
            This is the man with life or death power over the new board. Be afraid.

Comment

Hospital People

I didn't think it could get worse... it did.

Our possible new overlord aside, this thread's gonna turn into one long rubbernecking session, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
              X